Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Manhattan Racist?
Yes 23 35.38%
No 37 56.92%
Anti-Black 5 7.69%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 10:40 AM

15,789 posts, read 14,390,222 times

Advertisements

So we have teen age girls (assuming) being mean to other teen age girls, and now it's a race issue. I think this is just a teen girl issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 10:59 AM

6,670 posts, read 5,960,640 times
NYC is super segregated - that's a fact. Not sure about racist. Racism and prejudice can be everywhere though.

Old 04-15-2019, 02:34 PM

1,121 posts, read 586,998 times
Haha racism problem... Is the Hudson River wet?

Misunderstanding a group of people = prejudice

Diversity and Inclusion Programs = racism
Equal Opportunity = racism
Affirmative Action = racism

Old 04-16-2019, 09:38 AM

195 posts, read 129,487 times
In real life, I tend to only socialize with middle/upper income black American women. That is the group that I feel most comfortable with.

Old 04-16-2019, 11:28 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,257,913 times
Yeah why not they just blend in better in NY.

Old 04-16-2019, 08:05 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,963,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaLisa2323 View Post
In real life, I tend to only socialize with middle/upper income black American women. That is the group that I feel most comfortable with.
They do all have masters and PhD degrees degrees and white boyfriends?

Old 04-17-2019, 09:00 AM

106 posts, read 59,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadeonHD4250 View Post
I've had experience with those. The key is to be gentle.

The last one is 3,000+ miles away now still texting me on Grindr telling me how much he misses me and wants to come back.

Wait, are we talking about the same thing? Hahahaha.
Lol

Old 04-19-2019, 10:01 PM

725 posts, read 801,401 times
What do you mean by racist? Do you mean that people like their own people best, are proud to be black, white, Jewish, Indian, Arab, Asian, etc. and feel more comfortable around their own. If so then I don’t see that as a problem. I see it as perfectly natural.

When I go to nyc I see Indian owned Dunkin’ Donuts with 6 Indians behind the counter. I see a Chinese furniture business with 8 Chinese employees. I see a Jewish bake shop with 4 Jews behind the counter (or B&H photo with mostly hasids). No one complains because it is perfectly natural for people to want to hire their own and to benefit their own. Of course the Chinese are going to give preference to their own in a Chinese restaurant.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:13 AM

27 posts, read 25,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoNYC5299 View Post
Last week a white and middle eastern student gave their black class-mate, a tampon applicator with a note inside that said N- Words have no rights, at a public school on the UES filled with rich kids, the black girl was also rich, my question is NYC becoming a white liberal racist city or is it Anti black

Manhattan doesn't have a racism problem. I don't think the actions of a few ignorant deplorable and classless individuals shouldn't define a whole city.

However, this isn't just a "teen" issue because the "N" word was conveniently used. It's puzzling that the Middle Eastern child would do something so demeaning considering how much they're condemned and if Muslim - feared.

Old 04-20-2019, 11:29 AM

12,746 posts, read 8,197,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkNerd View Post
Manhattan doesn't have a racism problem. I don't think the actions of a few ignorant deplorable and classless individuals shouldn't define a whole city.

However, this isn't just a "teen" issue because the "N" word was conveniently used. It's puzzling that the Middle Eastern child would do something so demeaning considering how much they're condemned and if Muslim - feared.
What's puzzling about it? Black people are still treated as if they are the worst of the worst. It's crazy. Middle Easterners aren't known to be done of blacks either despite how they aren't cared for. Historically, I can't think of one group that has really been known to think positively of black people. Even Hispanics... Supposedly black and Hispanic people are in the same boat but you have some that think they're superior. It's comical to say the least, but blame the media. If I didn't know any better, according to news reports, blacks have the worst health, the worst everything. Rarely are black people talked about in the news in a positive manner. Always put down regardless of the ethnic group, not unless they are trying to stereotype them of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City