U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:49 AM

69,337 posts, read 69,921,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Wouldn't exactly call it "savings" since none of SS in certain. Yes, as things stand those who qualify will get "something", but who knows what future holds.
no different then buying an annuity ..odds are pretty good if a couple one of you will getting paid ...

but like i said all these issues are income problems , not tax problems , not fica problems ...making taxes go away and cutting costs for all these people you talk about ,has a bottom ..then rising expenses has them right back to where they were ...it is an income growth issue they have to solve or commit their own financial suicide ....

you can't smoke and mirror a lack of income by temporarily putting a band aid on it by reducing some expenses ... you need some cost cutting but more important you need income growth .. income growth is infinite while cost cutting has a bottom and then you are dead in the water again . no one should expect income growth from the same job slot year after year except for some inflation adjusting ...there is no reason the job markets should value the same job function any higher just because.... income growth comes from finding the things you can do that others can't or won't do for themselves or moving up the ladder with your skills ....

Last edited by mathjak107; Yesterday at 07:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:55 AM

21,147 posts, read 27,756,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
My income is $21k a year and I don't qualify for medicaid. People don't realize just how poor you have to be to qualify for all the alleged "freebie" stuff.

Or how very low your assets (called "resources") have to be.

Old Yesterday, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
not necessarily ...for medicaid health insurance assets don't apply , only income level ...long term care medicaid is something different .

Old Yesterday, 07:04 AM

19,837 posts, read 13,040,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

For single persons IIRC they cannot have more than $2000 in bank accounts. Then there are things like owning real estate/property, stocks, and other assets.

Old Yesterday, 07:07 AM

Quote:
For single persons IIRC they cannot have more than $2000 in bank accounts. Then there are things like owning real estate/property, stocks, and other assets.
only for long term care medicaid though ..that is an important distinction from health insurance medicaid ... although if you are between 55 and 65 medicaid health insurance can recover from you if they choose to

Old Yesterday, 07:12 AM

19,837 posts, read 13,040,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
My income is $21k a year and I don't qualify for medicaid. People don't realize just how poor you have to be to qualify for all the alleged "freebie" stuff.
Just looked, and yes a single person needs to be at busted income level ($17,237 per year) to get Medicaid. https://www.health.ny.gov/health_care/medicaid/

Old Yesterday, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Just looked, and yes a single person needs to be at busted income level ($17,237 per year) to get Medicaid. https://www.health.ny.gov/health_care/medicaid/
however in nyc one may qualify for a free aca bronze plan at zero cost with over 5k in subsidy. i ran it above on the exchange .

Old Yesterday, 08:25 AM

3,638 posts, read 3,747,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Does anyone here find that they owe more taxes or have little to no refund? Personally, it's very rare that I get a refund, but I sure owed thousands in taxes this year.
Have you looked at your withholdings? You probably paid less in withholdings, like the majority of people.
I ended up owing $1k more this year, but my taxes were $1.7k lower.
Unless you were itemizing previous years, your taxes should've been lower.

Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM

5,187 posts, read 2,694,912 times
^ Yup. People make the mistake of looking at what they owe or got refunded back versus the actual amount of taxes they paid. The taxes paid should have been lower.

Paycheck withholding went down the past year but people do not usually notice that. They only notice the tax return refund or payment.

Old Yesterday, 09:05 AM

1,308 posts, read 583,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
Your problem is you're probably making money by doing honest work. If you want to avoid taxes, work in the financial sector.
what? Way to generalize there. I work in Finance and I'm certainly not avoiding taxes, unless the thousands they have taken from me is in the clouds somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or