Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 09:13 AM

425 posts, read 391,498 times

Advertisements

I deducted a lot previous years. The limit on SALT made the new standard deduction practically equivalent.
My effective rate went from ~8% to 9.5% for the equivalent amount of money. My new effective rate is around 11% due to increases in salary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 09:31 AM

174 posts, read 311,755 times
When all is said and done as a "middle income" earner who is single with no dependents I will admit my tax burden is fairly high. I think the thing that annoys me the most is NYC city tax and the state tax. What on earth am I paying for? I had to have hip surgery recently (does anyone realize that we pay a post tax charge for NY paid family leave? - https://tax.ny.gov/pit/file/paid_family_leave.htm ) - I am mobility disabled but not totally and completely disabled (I have degenerative hip disease from dysplasia), I continue to hobble to work via the trains etc, but post surgery I had to take a lot of cars because I don't live near an ADA accessible station, or often times I'd get to a station and the elevator would be broken etc. I have four screws holding my right hip together so it wasn't exactly easy getting around... I did have to take short term disability and while you only get 60% of your pay that is taxed as well. I don't mind paying taxes, but I'm this close to sending my receipts for cars to Cuomo, because they wouldnt give me Access a ride - I couldnt even stay in nyc because my apartment wasn't deemed safe for my recovery (i had to pay to stay in a different state for three months, flights etc, but don't you worry I'm still considered a Full time NY resident for tax purposes!). Ugh. Anyways, I guess it could be worse - I still have a leg.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:25 AM

106,583 posts, read 108,739,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energystream View Post
I deducted a lot previous years. The limit on SALT made the new standard deduction practically equivalent.
My effective rate went from ~8% to 9.5% for the equivalent amount of money. My new effective rate is around 11% due to increases in salary.
we dropped , our effective rate was 8% in 2017 , and now it worked out to 7% for 2018....

Old 04-15-2019, 10:36 AM

425 posts, read 391,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we dropped , our effective rate was 8% in 2017 , and now it worked out to 7% for 2018....
I can't be mad about anyone that the tax cuts helped. I am not happy that I am paying more for a budget with a bigger deficit.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:55 AM

6,681 posts, read 6,025,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstwahine View Post
When all is said and done as a "middle income" earner who is single with no dependents I will admit my tax burden is fairly high. I think the thing that annoys me the most is NYC city tax and the state tax. What on earth am I paying for? I had to have hip surgery recently (does anyone realize that we pay a post tax charge for NY paid family leave? - https://tax.ny.gov/pit/file/paid_family_leave.htm ) - I am mobility disabled but not totally and completely disabled (I have degenerative hip disease from dysplasia), I continue to hobble to work via the trains etc, but post surgery I had to take a lot of cars because I don't live near an ADA accessible station, or often times I'd get to a station and the elevator would be broken etc. I have four screws holding my right hip together so it wasn't exactly easy getting around... I did have to take short term disability and while you only get 60% of your pay that is taxed as well. I don't mind paying taxes, but I'm this close to sending my receipts for cars to Cuomo, because they wouldnt give me Access a ride - I couldnt even stay in nyc because my apartment wasn't deemed safe for my recovery (i had to pay to stay in a different state for three months, flights etc, but don't you worry I'm still considered a Full time NY resident for tax purposes!). Ugh. Anyways, I guess it could be worse - I still have a leg.

Ugh, I am sooo sorry that happened to you! I fell last week and have a sprained/ bruised ankle and can't move without feeling extreme pain. But reading about your situation made me cringe! I hope you get better!

Old 04-15-2019, 01:34 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,716,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
My income is $21k a year and I don't qualify for medicaid. People don't realize just how poor you have to be to qualify for all the alleged "freebie" stuff.

At 21k a year in NY you should probably be getting the Essential Plan healthcare starting at $20 a month

Old 04-15-2019, 01:34 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energystream View Post
I can't be mad about anyone that the tax cuts helped. I am not happy that I am paying more for a budget with a bigger deficit.
Clearly not everyone is happy! https://nypost.com/2019/04/13/new-yo...ord-tax-bills/

Old 04-15-2019, 02:01 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,704,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
*vote to increase taxes*
*get surprised when the taxes that they voted for are coming out of them*

Wait until people realize that the government gets revenue from collecting money from the people under their jurisdiction.

Old 04-15-2019, 02:09 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,716,093 times
Default My NY State Taxes ar higher yes but seem too high. An Error?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Does anyone here find that they owe more taxes or have little to no refund? Personally, it's very rare that I get a refund, but I sure owed thousands in taxes this year.

I think that the recent tax adjustment hit blue states - and especially cities like New York - very hard, while red states are having a great ol' time collecting more in refunds.

I also know some housekeepers and other hourly employees getting thousands back. I can't figure it out: Besides having a child, or adjusting a holding of zero - what else can anyone do to get "thousands of dollars in refunds" instead of owing?

I have a low salary and low income and working 3 days a week. I recall on NY state (+ "local" ) taxes either getting a small refund like $40 or maybe having to pay a similarly low amount

But now I owe about $400 according to turbo Tax

I was thinking this could be an error on my part. But could such a big difference be due to Trump policy changes?

If I look at the state (+ local) section on my last year W2 based on 2017 at the sum of my state + local income tax and compare it to my wages that tax figure is 4.6% of my wages

Now when I do the same thing with my W2 for now (based on 2018) that figure is 3.5%

That is only about a 1% difference. It seems as per my wages, that lower percentage of tax is only about half of what I owe. I have until 12 pm tonight to finalize that online tax from but I'm wondering if I should file for an extension and either let H & R do it or try another program

Old 04-15-2019, 02:11 PM

106,583 posts, read 108,739,314 times
We saw the same 1% difference ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City