U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 12:49 PM

1,483 posts, read 526,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
"a manipulator (in fact, in case of a low-income New Yorker, he/she is very likely going to be the latter"

Keeping up standards, I see.

Actually, speaking from experience. I was renting out my Parkchester condo for 10.5 years (up until several months ago), without even any profit interest but just because it seemed wasteful to keep it empty while I was still younger, working harder, and not having time to spend in NYC (ie, I was renting it well below market, so my tenants were all low income). The tenants were all manipulative indeed, even though I selected them very carefully from a pool of many potential tenants that mostly looked like potential nightmares. My opinions about low income tenants in NYC derive from my landlording experience. Nothing beats experience for informed opinion :-).

Okay, I should say one of my former tenants seemed to be decent... until he left and I saw how he "redecorated" the unit without ever sharing his redecorating ideas with me... one wall "texturized" to look I guess like an outer facade in Puerto Rico, and walls painted in neon green and purple... not my taste exactly, but a low income tenant WILL always think he/she owns the place no matter how little they pay for using it temporarily, and will do with it whatever they want.

Btw, the creative painter tenant was the only one that did not try to exploit me financially, so he caused me damages only by his cluelessness, not by being intentionally exploitive.

Last edited by elnrgby; Today at 01:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or