U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 02:50 PM

6,232 posts, read 5,687,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Vegas View Post
It sounds like my office is close to where yours is. I lived in Hell's Kitchen for a year and had to walk through tons of tourists getting home each night. And about the demographics in HK - it's very young. I cant remember ever seeing anyone over the age of 35 when I lived there. Which is the main reason I moved out. I wanted to be around more mature people - not necessarily old; but didnt want to feel like I was back in college. HK is very crowded and 9th ave is all torn up due to a multi-year construction project. Also much of HK has a bit of a dirty vibe to me. I really dont get why everyone's like "oh definitely pick HK!" Not sure if they've lived there recently.
Sounds like you just hated HK, which is fine but what you said is a lie. I'm in Hells Kitchen all the time, I have many, many acquaintances and friends there from 57th street to 40th street, from 11th ave to 8th ave and ALL are over 35 so you must've not gotten out much. Not one single bar/restaurant I ever went to in that neighborhood has a school feeling. As far as walking through tourists, the Op works in times square so Duh its a given they will walk through tourists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 07:52 PM

48 posts, read 21,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdshi View Post
Thanks! I especially appreciate the info from CincyExpert and Dabaomb.

Took a look around and found some good but slightly more expensive apartments in midtown/Hell's kitchen (Office is very close to Times Square). Is the general consensus that the neighborhood is touristy and obnoxious? I am single - does the neighborhood tend to be older couples?
I live in LIC and like it a lot but I’m in the young family stage of my life. You’ll find that on weekends, a lot of subways have maintenance work so you’ll have to find alternate ways into Manhattan. A lot of weekends when the Mets don’t have home games, they’ll shut down 7 train service from Hudson Yards to Queensboro Plaza. If you live near Vernon Jackson, you’ll have to take a shuttle bus to Court Square or Queensboro Plaza to take the train into Manhattan. If you work on weekends in the office this is a hassle.

That said, being able to walk to work and not having to rely on the subway makes things easier. Also, being straight out of college you’ll probably spend most of your time in Manhattan so if you can find an apt close to office, I think you should do it.

Old 04-20-2019, 07:56 PM

48 posts, read 21,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Good post. I'd have to say that desirability is a bit relative though, especially for a single person. While the TFC buildings on Center are nice, that area might be a little too family-centric for some and some of those buildings are a 10-minute walk from the 7 train.

Queens Plaza and Court Square have high rises popping up that blow many Hunters Point buildings out of the water in terms of building amenities and transportation access with the gap in neighborhood amenities shrinking between the two areas. Buildings like Jackson Park, the Hayden, Tower 28 have huge state-of-the-art gyms, pools, full-size basketball courts, and rooftop terraces with immaculate views of the city. There's even a new building at Queens Plaza, Alta, that is predominantly co-living spaces, meaning it's a high rise with mostly singles.

Living at Queens Plaza also puts you closer to Astoria which has the premier singles scene in all of Queens to go along with a wealth of restaurants, bars, plus some museums, and parks.

Anways to the OP, good luck with your search. LIC is a great neighborhood all around.
All valid points. My biggest problem with the newest high rises is how small the units were. Probably not as big of an issue if you are single but a lot of the bedrooms you couldn’t fit a king bed and some couldn’t even fit a queen.

Also, there is so much construction around Court Square and Queensboro Plaza which can be annoying with the noise and the fact that your view could disappear once that new building goes up.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:45 AM

40 posts, read 50,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Sounds like you just hated HK, which is fine but what you said is a lie. I'm in Hells Kitchen all the time, I have many, many acquaintances and friends there from 57th street to 40th street, from 11th ave to 8th ave and ALL are over 35 so you must've not gotten out much. Not one single bar/restaurant I ever went to in that neighborhood has a school feeling. As far as walking through tourists, the Op works in times square so Duh its a given they will walk through tourists.
Using verbiage such as "lie," instead of "inaccurate." Basically, OP, this is the type of "mature adult" you'd come across in Hell's Kitchen. Which is why I stand by my statement, though I think you could adjust it to "kids and 'kids at heart'".

Old 04-21-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Vegas View Post
Using verbiage such as "lie," instead of "inaccurate." Basically, OP, this is the type of "mature adult" you'd come across in Hell's Kitchen. Which is why I stand by my statement, though I think you could adjust it to "kids and 'kids at heart'".
Haha young child...saying something untrue is a lie. Sorry if you weren't taught that.
Sorry you are so unhappy in life. We are defiantly from different generations. Mine being were you respect your elders, yours being were your all about me me me.
Good luck to you in life.

Old 04-24-2019, 04:08 AM

8 posts, read 1,315 times
I’d arrived in nyc today and crossed the queensboro bridge in an Uber. The Uber driver said the queensboro bridge traffic is very unpredictable. Is it ever the case that with the bridge clogged up and subway failing, one can essentially be locked out of Manhattan (and vice versa)?

Old 04-24-2019, 04:15 AM

11,108 posts, read 21,468,549 times
Quote:
I’d arrived in nyc today and crossed the queensboro bridge in an Uber. The Uber driver said the queensboro bridge traffic is very unpredictable. Is it ever the case that with the bridge clogged up and subway failing, one can essentially be locked out of Manhattan (and vice versa)?
Locked out- no, unless there’s another 9-11
or equivalent. If you’re asking if you could be late to work either due to being on a stalled train or gridlock, if you’re in a car, then yes, you could be late.

Old Yesterday, 09:33 PM

8 posts, read 1,315 times
I took a look at LIC and figure Jackson park and alta to be the best value. My dilemma is now whether or not Hell’s Kitchen/midtown is worth the extra $1500. Will friends visit you if you’re in LIC? If you meet a girl and hit it off, will she be kind of put off that you’re slightly out of the way in LIC?

Old Yesterday, 11:16 PM

941 posts, read 440,792 times
My scientific estimate is that you'd need to be 15% hotter than average to get a girl to come out to LIC to see you.

$1500/mo. is a LOT though and seems a higher differential than it should be.

Old Today, 09:23 AM

Quote:
I took a look at LIC and figure Jackson park and alta to be the best value. My dilemma is now whether or not Hell’s Kitchen/midtown is worth the extra $1500. Will friends visit you if you’re in LIC? If you meet a girl and hit it off, will she be kind of put off that you’re slightly out of the way in LIC?
OP rents at Jackson Park are $4500-5500 for a 2 bedroom

I know several luxury high rises in hells kitchen which are the same range.

So unless your set on a specific building you can find something in that same range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or