Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 06:57 AM

766 posts, read 507,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
These types of neighborhoods like Bed-Stuy are attractive mostly to people who grew up there and can still afford to live there. These are the only people who have the balls to send their kids to the public schools. Its either that or Internet-only, no cable, a lot of WiFi using and cutting corners other ways to make ways for the private school tuition.
I don’t think the people who grew up there are buying these 2 million dollar brownstones
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2019, 06:59 AM

766 posts, read 507,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirlMastic Beach View Post
Gates is one of the roughest streets in all the city. I avoid it if I can. Best off taking Decatur, Putnam or Halsey. Or even Dekalb.
It’s all NYCHA housing down gates, low level as well

They should really tear it down and replace with higher buildings

Old 04-22-2019, 08:07 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Hence why I asked if you rode the buses....

When you get that type of response on the B15 then I'll be convinced, until then I'm not
B15 is going to be when East New York and Brownsville are already well on their way to being gentrified. That bus doesn’t go to downtown Brooklyn. The other bus routes going through Bed-Stuy that hit the Navy Yard, DUMBO or downtown Brooklyn are already seeing the shift.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:29 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times
Quote:
Gates is one of the roughest streets in all the city. I avoid it if I can. Best off taking Decatur, Putnam or Halsey. Or even Dekalb.
Literally, I’m walking down Gates Every. Single. Day. It’s not hyperbole. The Gates blocks closer to Clinton Hill are gentrified. Multiple, massive condo buildings have gone up and are in the process of going up all along it. The block has multiple, active, new real estate developments. Perhaps because it was so bad before it’s made for easily accessible areas to develop new buildings. Several of the new buildings were former empty lots or abandoned buildings. I don’t dispute that other thoroughfares are nicer but to say you’re unaware of the changes on Gates, and how prevalent they are, means you’ve not actually been on it recently. Or if you have you haven’t bother to look at what’s happening on it.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:39 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Literally, I’m walking down Gates Every. Single. Day. It’s not hyperbole. The Gates blocks closer to Clinton Hill are gentrified. Multiple, massive condo buildings have gone up and are in the process of going up all along it. The block has multiple, active, new real estate developments. Perhaps because it was so bad before it’s made for easily accessible areas to develop new buildings. Several of the new buildings were former empty lots or abandoned buildings. I don’t dispute that other thoroughfares are nicer but to say you’re unaware of the changes on Gates, and how prevalent they are, means you’ve not actually been on it recently. Or if you have you haven’t bother to look at what’s happening on it.
I could see it being okay by Franklin and Bedford. The PJs don't start getting sprinkled in until after Nostrand. Like I said, I try to avoid Gates because I am well aware of it's reputation. At least Myrtle, Dekalb, Park and Flushing aves have storefronts and businesses mixed in.

Old 04-22-2019, 11:08 AM

9 posts, read 26,901 times
Lol so i am going to assume that bed stuy is relatively safe but obviously need to stay alert and not walk around late at night. I know i do sit closer to broadway but a brooklyn native i asked said that broadway going more west so its better over there since its borders bushwick as well. I am going to hope for the best!

Old 04-22-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taysglam View Post
Lol so i am going to assume that bed stuy is relatively safe but obviously need to stay alert and not walk around late at night. I know i do sit closer to broadway but a brooklyn native i asked said that broadway going more west so its better over there since its borders bushwick as well. I am going to hope for the best!
Have you considered Bushwick? Its the more happening neighborhood.

Old 04-22-2019, 11:30 AM

Bushwick has also made more progress with crime.

Old 04-22-2019, 11:47 AM

9 posts, read 26,901 times
Hi yes i have considered bushwick, but stumbled upon this place in bed stuy and it seemed to be the perfect match

Old 04-22-2019, 02:33 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,599,623 times
Quote:
Have you considered Bushwick? Its the more happening neighborhood.
Agreed, it's probably around the same price too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City