U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 02:42 PM

130 posts, read 54,559 times

Advertisements

No, unless you want Sophies. The closest you'll get to Cuban is Puerto Rican or Dominican food, which nyc is known for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 03:10 PM

4,389 posts, read 2,965,182 times
cuban food in cuba sucks. I like tina's. Their cubano is good and their roast pork sandwich is even better. You will be constipated for a week. make sure you get the green saunce.

Old 04-18-2019, 03:21 PM

1,516 posts, read 900,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
best cuban food we had was in havanna ...for 8 bucks it was just amazing ...
Best food we had in Havana was La Guardia and it was still less than what a mainstream sit-down meal would cost in NYC.

What makes Cuban food Cuban food?

Old 04-18-2019, 04:03 PM

2,493 posts, read 3,488,010 times
I got violently sick from food poising in Cuba. Like straight up out of commission couldn’t leave the hotel bathroom for 2 days sick. I almost had to go to the hospital. It was that bad... and I didn’t eat at some shady place either, it was an “nice” club by the marina.

If you google “why is food in Cuba so bad” you’ll get a lot of results. It basically boils down to the lack of goods due to the embargo. The first thing I ate when I got to Havana was a Cuban Sandwich- and I was excited until I bit into a dry and flavorless wad of meat and realized it was nothing like Cuban AMERICAN sandwiches. Also, by the end of our trip we realized they kept giving us free Cuban rum everywhere we ate because it was the only thing that was consistently good! Get someone drunk enough and the taste of the food doesn’t matter as much.

Old 04-18-2019, 04:43 PM

69,636 posts, read 70,222,623 times
We are in a cheap store front in Havana ,it looked like a pizza place ... the food was good .... in the mean time I got food poisoning in disney

Old 04-18-2019, 05:56 PM

15,816 posts, read 18,345,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
I got violently sick from food poising in Cuba. Like straight up out of commission couldn’t leave the hotel bathroom for 2 days sick. I almost had to go to the hospital. It was that bad... and I didn’t eat at some shady place either, it was an “nice” club by the marina.

If you google “why is food in Cuba so bad” you’ll get a lot of results. It basically boils down to the lack of goods due to the embargo. The first thing I ate when I got to Havana was a Cuban Sandwich- and I was excited until I bit into a dry and flavorless wad of meat and realized it was nothing like Cuban AMERICAN sandwiches. Also, by the end of our trip we realized they kept giving us free Cuban rum everywhere we ate because it was the only thing that was consistently good! Get someone drunk enough and the taste of the food doesn’t matter as much.
Yikes. The same happened to me in dominincan Republic but that was due to putting ice in my drink. The US embargo is hurting Cuba. 60 years ago so much of American produce used to be shipped out of the Mississippi River and sail its way to the Caribbean island of Cuba. Those days are long gone Today much of Cubas grains and produce is either locally sourced or shipped from poor South American countries like Venezuela and Guyana due to strong political ties.

Old 04-18-2019, 06:12 PM

1,399 posts, read 388,470 times
My cousin went to Cuba and also said the food wasn't very good. This seems to be a pretty commonly held opinion.

Old 04-18-2019, 06:44 PM

10,395 posts, read 8,297,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
Legit! 7 train to junction Blvd. Half block from the 7 express.
That is also where I go for Cuban food. The place in Corona.

Old 04-18-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
My cousin went to Cuba and also said the food wasn't very good. This seems to be a pretty commonly held opinion.
That is what I have also heard about Cuban food in Cuba. Like they went decades without a proper marketplace for ingredients or something.

Old 04-18-2019, 06:47 PM

Got a Cuban sandwich at some place in Bed-Stuy the other day. Thought it was pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or