U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 07:05 PM

2,493 posts, read 3,488,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirlMastic Beach View Post
Got a Cuban sandwich at some place in Bed-Stuy the other day. Thought it was pretty good.
Probably Pilar Cuban Eatery on Bedford and Greene
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 08:31 PM

10,395 posts, read 8,297,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Probably Pilar Cuban Eatery on Bedford and Greene
Probably. The Cuban coffee wasn't that good though. There used to be a Cuban coffee spot in Bushwick a couple years back that was very tasty, but they've since closed.

Old 04-19-2019, 02:24 AM

6,005 posts, read 6,181,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
I go to Union City, NJ, across the Hudson, for my Cuban fix.

Are there any authentic Cuban restaurants in NYC?
There is a place that has been on the food network/travel channel shows in Corona on Junction, and Roosevelt called Rincon Criollo.

Old 04-19-2019, 02:27 AM

6,005 posts, read 6,181,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
NYC is not known for cuban culture or cuban cuisine. The best cuban food I have ate was in Miami. I have yet to go to Cuba. If I do remember. Union City NJ is well known for its Cuban population. The your best bet is to take the path to Hoboken and NJ transit bus heading up to union city for cuban food. In Hells kitchen there used to be a cuban restaurant that did amazing tapas and ropa vieja was amazing. As for Sophie's? I think it's OK. Not the best, but not the worst.
There are no Cubans there now, and I doubt there was ever that many in the past to begin with. It was always hyped but you should still see traces of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Beat me to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
City data is not a great place to ask these questions to be honest, too many people are biased and not particularly knowledgeable about food.
Tis so true

Old 04-19-2019, 12:00 PM

41 posts, read 9,602 times
I second the Rincon Criollo recommendation. Family owned since the 70's and it's fantastic.

Old 04-27-2019, 07:38 PM

561 posts, read 533,795 times
If you weren't happy with the food in Cuba, you simply didn't go to the right places. I been there 3 times in the recent year and a half, with no complaints. Next time you go try Los Amigos and Locos Por Cuba...there are many more. Haven't been to any of the "high end" places over there, it seems they emphasize more on presentation. You have to do your research before you get there, with limited internet, and the average Cuban can't afford to dine out, you need to know before you go. Also there is a very basic yelp like app to use out there called A La Mesa, and to map your way around offline use MAPS.ME. I'm in love with the country from their culture, music, food, way of life and people altogether, can't wait to head out there again during the winter.

As far as local NYC Cuba experience, I went a few times to Havana Alama De Cuba on Christopher street, but they closed a couple years ago.

Little Havan in Miami is cool to check out, my cousin took me to an outdoor food stand, was like $8 for a huge meal that could feed two. Domino park is something to see while out there.

I just bookmarked Rincon Criollo as mentioned in this thread, I'll stop by as soon as I'm around the neighborhood.

If anyone one was questions about Cuba travel, feel free to message me.

Old 04-28-2019, 06:29 AM

21,215 posts, read 27,853,389 times
TINA'S CUBAN is always good. And very reasonable given its location at 23 West 56th St., a fairly tony area.
Waiter service in back room with simple checkered oilclothed tables.

I recommend the Pernil, Ropa Vieha, Camarones al ahillo (shrimp in garlic)...plates come with 2 sides.
Cuban sandwich is also yummy.

It's not like a trip to Havana, but hey, it is only steps from Fifth Avenue, no '53 Buicks driving by.

Last edited by Kefir King; 04-28-2019 at 06:43 AM..

Old Today, 07:19 AM

11,112 posts, read 21,480,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I spoke to my friends who have mentioned Rincon Criollo to me in the past. When I questioned them about it, they only said it's "ok" and that it's "home cooking" (whatever that means). They actually prefer this place in Astoria https://www.yelp.com/biz/sabor-de-cu...oria?osq=cuban -- they said the food is better. But who knows -- sometimes it's all a matter of personal taste anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or