Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 01:14 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikfleye3 View Post
Traffic is outrageous here... it’s miserable... I never remember taking 30-45 min to drive to halfway across the island when I was a kid... now it takes me almost an hour to get to my barbershop on weeknights 😩😩
I can't with the Island anymore. Was thinking of moving back to be closer to family including my mom; but the traffic/congestion and quite frankly changes to the Rock have made me rethink that plan.

Besides nearly everyone I know has moved off SI and or making plans to do so in near future. Would say of my high school class about 65% (or more) have moved off SI.

Sundays, late/over night, holidays things aren't *that* bad. But weekdays? Forget about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2019, 03:42 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Not really. What is happening is they are knocking down larger houses on plots of land and in putting in several town homes. The island's infrastructure can't handle all of the construction out there and it shows because of the horrible traffic. The island was developed as a place that was to be low density and the roads still reflect this. Narrow streets and narrow sidewalks...
Making it ultimately unliveable. What will happen as people tire of the conditions they will rent out to new immigrants who can tolerate these conditions better. This is what happened as parts of Queens meant for single family homes got converted to crappy multifamily homes.

Not that there is anything wrong with multifamily homes or apartments per se, but at least but in the infrastructure improvements and the amenities improvements.

But I bet all this is a long term away.

Old 04-22-2019, 04:49 PM

313 posts, read 212,489 times
Speaking of overcrowding in S.I the MTA is doing a study of perhaps a light rail on the West shore.

https://new.mta.info/system_modernization/si_west_shore

Old 04-22-2019, 08:56 PM

432 posts, read 551,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagerNYC View Post
Speaking of overcrowding in S.I the MTA is doing a study of perhaps a light rail on the West shore.

https://new.mta.info/system_modernization/si_west_shore
Where would this light rail lead to? If the vision is to connect to the Light rail in Bayonne you are still looking at 90 minutes into Manhattan from south or west shore SI.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:37 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,151,256 times
Staten island is the whitest island, with the most self proclaimed hero city workers ,and others that took flight from sunset park and bayridge.

Rather move to Jersey or the poconos than staten island

Old 04-22-2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edubz View Post
Where would this light rail lead to? If the vision is to connect to the Light rail in Bayonne you are still looking at 90 minutes into Manhattan from south or west shore SI.

Cannot go directly to the ferry anymore (as trains once did) because the ROI from basically almost everything east of Jersey Street is gone. Much of it became that baseball park, and then came the Wheel/Outlet project.

Old 04-23-2019, 04:43 AM

337 posts, read 356,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Making it ultimately unliveable. What will happen as people tire of the conditions they will rent out to new immigrants who can tolerate these conditions better. This is what happened as parts of Queens meant for single family homes got converted to crappy multifamily homes.

Not that there is anything wrong with multifamily homes or apartments per se, but at least but in the infrastructure improvements and the amenities improvements.

But I bet all this is a long term away.
This is happening everywhere in Queens, especially in Eastern Queens. Beautiful single family homes torn down for those ugly beige two and four unit multi-families which look completely out of character.

Old 04-23-2019, 05:00 AM

As for the "whitest" bit; that is mostly true, but slowly changing. AAs are > 12% of SI population and even that number is declining. However dark skinned Hispanic/Latino is another matter.

Overall reason SI is so "white" is because it is primarily a borough of homeowners with relatively little rental housing in comparison. If you can't afford to own, then most likely much of SI isn't for you. It also explains the areas with high concentrations of minorities like AA and others who cannot afford to own are on the North Shore where there is a good amount of rental housing, and extensive public transportation. That and North is more dense than Mid-Island and or South Shore. Meaning you may not necessarily need to own a ride.

In any event Latino/Hispanic numbers are growing and not just in Port Richmond/North Shore, they are moving out to SS as well. Asians of all sorts also are moving out to SI in numbers.

Staten Island *may* have been the last bastion of Italian American New Yorkers, but generation after generation since the 1980's or maybe 1990's that is slowly changing.

Like it or not major boost came from Brooklyn and Queens, but that is starting to slow as Italian American numbers out there are slowly declining as well.

Most of the Italians I know are making tracks off SI (if they haven't already) for NJ, PA, NC or Florida to name a few spots. You make the rounds on Thanksgiving and Christmas and you see ride after ride with NC, FLA, NJ or whatever plates in driveways or parked outside.

Old 04-23-2019, 09:33 AM

65 posts, read 36,967 times
Tons of Chinese are moving here. I'm not saying that as if it's a bad thing btw. Having lived here my whole life, I'm actually happy to see a change to the status quo.

Old 04-23-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakamonogatari View Post
Tons of Chinese are moving here. I'm not saying that as if it's a bad thing btw. Having lived here my whole life, I'm actually happy to see a change to the status quo.

Every family member, friend or whoever on SI that has put their home up for sale recently says there were two main people looking to buy; Chinese and Hasidic Jews. Both come with bags/suitcases of cash saying they are willing to go that route if can close the deal *NOW*

Rosebank is slowly becoming a hood. Grasmere slowing going Asian, and so it goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: