Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 04:51 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,099,919 times

Advertisements

When my building installed HD washers last year they put up signs saying no powder detergent allowed so everyone uses either liquid or pods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 06:02 PM

1,199 posts, read 724,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMan2k5 View Post
Just eat the pods they're delicious.
I drank a shot of Sun detergent during college on a dare and it didn't really have any effect, other than burping bubbles.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:54 PM

15,844 posts, read 14,479,382 times
The commercial machines in my building have dispensers for liquid detergent. I don't even know if powder would work in them, and if it did, how well. I go to Costco aND buy a big container of Arm and Hammer liquid. Gets the job done, and lasts around a year.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:44 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,366,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsquirrel View Post
Do you feel that wet laundry soap brands are going out of style? I certainly do. It seems that the new trend among millennials in NYC's apartment kitchens and laundry rooms is to use dry laundry soap. I have been seeing 90% of laundry washers using powders recently.

Liquid Tide is almost never used. Growing up, my parents told me that Tide detergent was for the affluent. When Tide is used its labeled in a different language, and is a powder. Most people use Purex or Family Dollar brands in the powder.

Another trend is that many people use Chinese brands of laundry detergent even though they aren't from there. Maybe people believe imports are high quality. What are your thoughts about the laundry soap debate. Should Millennials continue to pay for the water inside wet laundry soap bottles, or go dry?

I love that you did this thread. LOL. Very different. I use liquid.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:45 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,366,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Weird observation, I've seen the opposite. In the suburbs though I see a lot of the small pods for laundry and dishwashers

Now this is fancy!

Old 04-25-2019, 07:56 PM

313 posts, read 212,678 times
I guess I'm classified as a "millenial" although I think these generational definitons are plain stupid, since not everyone is the same.. I don't care what to use when washing, just whatever is available in front of me or what ever is the best bargain. As long as the liquid soap doesn't smell like cheap Fabuloso, I'm fine.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:05 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
I use Tide pods for laundry and Cascade pods for dishwasher.

I try to avoid using the laundry room when others are going to be there so I don't often observe what anyone else is using. There is one older Asian woman who ends up using the laundry at the same hours I do, and she told me the pod was making my laundry too soapy and that it would be bad for my skin. I assume that was the case because the washer was only half full of laundry.

Anyway, I think of that conversation every time I do my laundry but I still use the pods.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:07 PM

16,072 posts, read 6,843,318 times
Having owned multifamily , I can attest that liquid is the safest way to go.
Dry powder is the most costly thing you can pour down the drain. It will ruin your plumbing.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:25 PM

1,199 posts, read 724,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagerNYC View Post
I guess I'm classified as a "millenial" although I think these generational definitons are plain stupid, since not everyone is the same.. I don't care what to use when washing, just whatever is available in front of me or what ever is the best bargain. As long as the liquid soap doesn't smell like cheap Fabuloso, I'm fine.
Speaking of Fabuloso, why is it so popular to add this stuff to one's laundry along with the powder? Isn't it a floor cleaner?

Old 04-25-2019, 09:33 PM

313 posts, read 212,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsquirrel View Post
Speaking of Fabuloso, why is it so popular to add this stuff to one's laundry along with the powder? Isn't it a floor cleaner?
I don't use it, it is a floor cleaner. I've never seen anyone use it for laundry though? I just know some cheap soap smells like fabuloso
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City