Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 10:42 PM

34,089 posts, read 47,285,846 times

Advertisements

A lot of buildings in NYC have their own personal rules and regulations regarding move-ins, consult the building's management for the most direct advice.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 03:58 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,816,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjacjswo View Post
Wow I guess it was a no brainer. FiDi it is! I'm so glad I asked here. Thanks a lot!
At 2500 ish rent I'm only looking at studios there. It does look like at a couple of places, 2500 a month is "net rent" after one free month.
for the $2500 range building, beware of college kids who do 3 to a 1bedroom apartment in FiDi. you might have loud neighbors at night and weekends.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:20 AM

313 posts, read 212,586 times
If you're spending that kind of money, why not move to Lower East Side or East Village? or even The Village (West Village) LES has the J/Z and 4/5 which go to Fulton/Wall St downtown. East Village has the 4/5 and the R which also go to Fulton.

The West Village, you have the 1,2,3 and the A,C,E all going to Fulton except the 1/E which leaves you to WTC.

Old 05-08-2019, 09:12 AM

268 posts, read 239,698 times
I personally find FiDi pretty depressing. I can't imagine living and working there and never getting a break from the bleakness of the trudging office drones.

Do you really need a full-service "luxury" building? Why not just search for no fee listings in more interesting neighborhoods? Are you working at a bank or big firm? They generally cover cars home after 9 or 10, so you might not even need to worry about the commute home at night. I personally would trade at 10 minute walk through FiDi for a 15 minute subway commute, but that's just me.

Old 05-08-2019, 09:43 AM

123 posts, read 96,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagerNYC View Post
If you're spending that kind of money, why not move to Lower East Side or East Village? or even The Village (West Village) LES has the J/Z and 4/5 which go to Fulton/Wall St downtown. East Village has the 4/5 and the R which also go to Fulton.

The West Village, you have the 1,2,3 and the A,C,E all going to Fulton except the 1/E which leaves you to WTC.
$2500 in the west village won't get you anything but a walkup with a hot plate.

Old 05-08-2019, 10:00 AM

18 posts, read 20,450 times
Default Downtown Brooklyn

i think Fidi will work for you if you don't venture often out to Brooklyn/queens for Asian food or big on shopping on groceries. (im Asian too)

Downtown Brooklyn puts you in a better spot in terms of commuting to 8th ave and Bay parkway for chinese food in Brooklyn (D,N trains) also closer to Elmhurst and Flushing (G train and then 7/M trains) while the Q train can take you to Chinatown one stop away.

Downtown Brooklyn is close to Trader's Joe, Wholefood, Target, + Fulton Malls. Barclays center and access to LIRR is also a plus.

Hope this helps!

Old 05-08-2019, 11:25 AM

16 posts, read 27,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagerNYC View Post

I was actually looking at east village and les at first. But for some reason I feel like the buildings are noticeably crappier and it's hard for me to gauge how truly crappy they are by looking at pictures. Also it's hard for me to gauge the general noise level and safety around apts there without visiting in person.
So I figured it might be less of a gamble to go with fidi, since these buildings are actual high rises managed by management companies. I'm def not expecting fidi apts to be nice. But the max level of ****tiness should be lower than les/ev, which makes it a safer choice. Also, I feel like I need to worry less about specific pocket of the neighborhood the apt is in, since it seems pretty homogeneous.
I'm basically gonna "sacrifice" my 1st year in NYC in fidi and then move to a better neighborhood after., since it seems like a safer choice.
Is this a sound logic? Or am I totally off?

Old 05-08-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayona View Post
I personally find FiDi pretty depressing. I can't imagine living and working there and never getting a break from the bleakness of the trudging office drones.

Do you really need a full-service "luxury" building? Why not just search for no fee listings in more interesting neighborhoods? Are you working at a bank or big firm? They generally cover cars home after 9 or 10, so you might not even need to worry about the commute home at night. I personally would trade at 10 minute walk through FiDi for a 15 minute subway commute, but that's just me.
I def dont need anything luxurious, although, it would be nice to have laundry in the building. I just feel like, without seeing places in person, fidi "luxurious" buildings are a safer bet than 100 year old walkup buildings in surrounding neighborhoods.

Old 05-08-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elijah1228 View Post
i think Fidi will work for you if you don't venture often out to Brooklyn/queens for Asian food or big on shopping on groceries. (im Asian too)

Downtown Brooklyn puts you in a better spot in terms of commuting to 8th ave and Bay parkway for chinese food in Brooklyn (D,N trains) also closer to Elmhurst and Flushing (G train and then 7/M trains) while the Q train can take you to Chinatown one stop away.

Downtown Brooklyn is close to Trader's Joe, Wholefood, Target, + Fulton Malls. Barclays center and access to LIRR is also a plus.

Hope this helps!
Thanks! Didnt know Brooklyn had decent Asian presence. I figure I would just go to Chinatown within manhattan.

Old 05-08-2019, 07:49 PM

3,139 posts, read 2,731,547 times
Yeah, $2500 will get you your own spot on a fire escape in the WV. In the EV/LES you might get a tiny tenement apartment where one of the two rooms only looks out on a light well.

I don't think it's crazy to move to a building for one year and look around before settling on a neighborhood. In that case, though, make sure you're not paying a broker's fee (the new buildings mostly don't use brokers) because it's absurd to eat that cost for only one year.

They're putting in a Whole Foods at 2(?) Wall Street, or they're supposed to be doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City