Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 02:39 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,208,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirlMastic Beach View Post
How is a section 8 tenant going to ever be able to pass my stringent background check?
Mostly all can't. Makes the Section 8 voucher useless for most people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 07:57 PM

85 posts, read 104,352 times
NYC is a communist state under comrade Warren Wilhelm . Have you seen that clown show of a press conference today at Trump tower. They are putting new emission standards on building. This means higher property taxes, fees, etc. Then they wonder why people are leaving the city and state. Only illegal immigrants are welcome with open arms

Old 05-13-2019, 08:41 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
First off, we all are affected because at any given moment, these laws can apply to our neighbors. I don’t want to live near a section 8 mess (I have, it sucks) because one of my neighbors was forced to rent to them by NYC government dictate.

Secondly, I’ve put off numerous times purchasing two-family homes due to NYC’s insane laws which effectively transfer ownership to your tenants. I’ve seen too many people approach bankruptcy due to non-paying, system protected tenants to take the risk (here at least).

I know you cannot afford a NYC home but many of us can and two-family homes can be a great investment absent the horror stories created by government overreach designed to benefit the underclass against those who’ve made it in life.
Well, I spent six digits on degrees from Cornell and Columbia. I was not interested in a NYC home, because that was money that certainly could have been applied to that affect.

Also since all thus forum does us whine and complain, fail to see what benefit having a NY home does. This forum is one vomit pit for people’s depression or inability to have friends, since people post the most negative posts and attempt to hide behind politics. When the politics aren’t the problem, it’s the people themselves who can only whine are the problem.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:20 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,208,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russianleo777 View Post
NYC is a communist state under comrade Warren Wilhelm . Have you seen that clown show of a press conference today at Trump tower. They are putting new emission standards on building. This means higher property taxes, fees, etc. Then they wonder why people are leaving the city and state. Only illegal immigrants are welcome with open arms
We loved seeing DeBozo heckled! He deserved it all. https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2019/05...Y0AHNkoIgpYH7k

Old 05-14-2019, 07:16 AM

19,046 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Well, I spent six digits on degrees from Cornell and Columbia. I was not interested in a NYC home, because that was money that certainly could have been applied to that affect.

Also since all thus forum does us whine and complain, fail to see what benefit having a NY home does. This forum is one vomit pit for people’s depression or inability to have friends, since people post the most negative posts and attempt to hide behind politics. When the politics aren’t the problem, it’s the people themselves who can only whine are the problem.
Your degree was a waste of time and money if you think whatever is discussed on this forum effects home values.

The value of owning a NYC home is that I haven’t been handing someone else money for 11 years to pay their mortgage. I’ve been paying off my own instead, while the home appreciated in value, far surpassing the interest i’ve paid in that time frame. I’m now living in a home that would rent for $400 or so dollars more than my mortgage which will be paid off about 10 years early.

I wouldn’t expect a transient to understand such economic benefits, but maybe you’ve now learned something.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 05-14-2019, 07:22 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
in our case i say thank you to our building owner where we live for tying up their money so i have a place to live , while i can leave my own money free and liquidate for far more lucrative places to invest .

so like i always say our housing costs are comprised of the cost our homes or rentals plus the returns on the money we get whether it is home appreciation or returns in other investments ... it is only when you take the two together that you can actually see how you are doing overall .

our rent runs more than what our home ran us , but the investment side on the money not tied up in that house grew enough to buy multiple homes today

Last edited by mathjak107; 05-14-2019 at 07:40 AM..

Old 05-14-2019, 08:09 AM

19,046 posts, read 13,964,273 times
You were/are lucky enough to live in a rent-controlled apartment. That’s not a possible situation for most people of my generation.

My best bet was to purchase a home under conditions which cost me less than comparable MARKET RATE rent, which I’ve accomplished.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 05-14-2019, 09:31 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
We are rent stabilized not rent controlled and rents are pretty much market I only live here since I got married. I had a house prior. Our building has lots of apartments available for rent Being stabilized does not mean you got much of a deal. It all depends on turnover and capital improvement increases. Whenever the allowable rents were lower they just raise parking spots or do the lobby and get a capital improvement increase. There are lots of one and two bedroom apartments available and all are stabilized
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: