U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2019, 08:38 PM

9,195 posts, read 9,178,140 times

Advertisements

Not as good as this one, though, from the Metropolitan Diary.

It was winter 1976. My wife and I had hoped to get tickets to “A Chorus Line.” At the time, it was possible to go to the box office on the afternoon of a performance and buy tickets that had been returned or had not been sold. But none were available that day.
Disappointed, we went for a walk in Central Park and then went to La Maison Japonaise for dinner. We were seated upstairs, where our corner table was near one by the window. That table was occupied by a man who appeared to be about 60 and a much younger woman. They were having an argument, and the woman was furious.
Because the tables were very close together, I could hear every word she said. I was facing the woman’s back, and I could see the man on the far side of their table. Although I tried to look away, I saw him gesture toward me. To my surprise, he invited us to join them. “You now know a lot about us,” he said, “so let’s all get to know each other.”
We moved to their table and enjoyed our dinner talking with them. Walking behind the women as we left the restaurant, the man handed me an envelope. “As you know, I can’t spend the evening we had planned,” he said.
In the envelope were two tickets to “A Chorus Line,” sixth row center.
— Robert Gold

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/13/n...an-diary.html?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2019, 08:51 PM

3,118 posts, read 1,436,259 times
Neat story.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:02 AM

21,422 posts, read 28,247,615 times
My partner's aunt had a subscription to a 4 play series at Public Theater.
As a gesture of good will, Public THeater sent their subscribers two tickets for a fifth show (brand new) at the Newman theater gratis. She could not go and offered the tickets to us. it was a weekday afternoon in April 1975. The show was, naturally, A CHORUS LINE...magnificent.

On leaving, we were so blown away we bought two tickets for the following Saturday evening...$3 IIRC. Word of mouth spread so quickly the tickets almost immediately became IMPOSSIBLE to get. Theater only has 299 seats.

So, we were seated that Saturday in a full house, mostly gay men, natch, when a beautiful woman in a white sequined dress so tight she could barely walk went from row to row asking if anyone would give her his seat. No takers.
So Dianna Ross sat/lay sideways (remember the dress) on the stairs for the show.
Partner saw it twice on Broadway and we both got to see the recent Encore's production at City Center. Of course I cried like a baby during "What I Did For Love."

Last edited by Kefir King; 05-19-2019 at 08:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or