U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 04:20 AM

17 posts, read 12,903 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

So I recently got a very low log number 6XX at an affordable housing lottery ( I don't assume I'll ever get this lucky again ) I submitted all my income documentations etc. The interviewer stated I should be fine income wise the day of interview; although 2 days later I get a rejection e-mail notice stating my reason for denial is due to my income being over the income bracket for 1 person which to qualify you have to be within 41K-44K. Although my true income is within 41,000-44,000 and they calculated a ridiculous amount of 49K based off of my paystubs. My last years 2018 income tax reported 44,000 and my employment verification letter states I'll make 41,000 this year. I did notice one of my paystubs I did a lot of overtime and they used that as a reference to what I'll make in the end of the year. Problem is, I am truly not going to make 49K by the end of the year and my YTD is going to be 20,400 by June which is already 6 months into the year. My question here to you guys is do you believe I have a valid argument to appeal to management/HPD or am I already in a situation I can't get myself out of?

I can plead a point that we're already in the 6 month mark of the month and I made so far 21,XXX and if we times that by another 6 months I'll be at exactly the yearly income to qualify for the unit.

I just find it so unfair that they calculate your year income based off of 6 paystubs when paychecks tend to fluctuate.

Never seen such a nauseous process just to live in a comfortable building.

Last edited by iFlyKid; 05-25-2019 at 04:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2019, 04:27 AM

1,984 posts, read 2,115,011 times
Sad to say, overtime is a killer in this process. It’s a something I’ve seen many times on this board.

According to the guidelines, the agents calculate income four different ways and take the highest one. They calculate overtime as though it is recurring.

It wouldn’t hurt for you to have your boss write a letter and say that the overtime was a one-off and you won’t be getting it again.

I don’t know if others have been successful with this strategy. Maybe someone who tried it will post.

Old 05-25-2019, 04:41 AM

Yeah I'm just hoping someone here has a similar situation and has had any luck with appealing this situation. I knew the overtime will be a killer although I guess wrong timing. I just did some calculations and based off of my next paycheck my YTD is going to be $20,292 in June. Another 6 months of that will bring me up to $40,585 which is fairly close to that of my verification letter stating my income. That's the only argument I can plead in my case since their mathematical algorithm does not make sense.

I'm literally pulling my hair here knowing I have a serious chance with such a low log number but I'm being screwed over by an overtime payout I most likely won't replicate again.

Old 05-25-2019, 08:51 AM

In an appeal, you basically need to point out a mistake. You can’t expect to succeed by telling them that they should overlook one of their computations because the algorithm doesn’t make sense. Even though that is true! Lol

Did you read the Marketing Guidelines to see if there’s anything that applies to you? There are also a few specialized guidelines in separate documents. Download those too, at least the ones dealing with finances, and see if there’s anything to base a case on.

The guidelines are periodically updated, so maybe there’s something new that would help you.

A letter from your boss might help, might not!

Search this forum for overtime, and you will find quite a few other posts. People tend to post questions and not come back to post the resolution. But maybe you’ll be lucky.
Good luck!

Old 05-25-2019, 09:49 AM

167 posts, read 161,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
In an appeal, you basically need to point out a mistake. You can’t expect to succeed by telling them that they should overlook one of their computations because the algorithm doesn’t make sense. Even though that is true! Lol

Did you read the Marketing Guidelines to see if there’s anything that applies to you? There are also a few specialized guidelines in separate documents. Download those too, at least the ones dealing with finances, and see if there’s anything to base a case on.

The guidelines are periodically updated, so maybe there’s something new that would help you.

I found the marketing guidelines but where do you find the specialized guidelines? I couldn’t find those.

Thank you in advance

Old 05-25-2019, 10:21 AM

804 posts, read 873,384 times
Definitely appeal on the grounds that the overtime was a one-off. And point to your successive pay stubs to prove that. And get a letter from your supervisor on letterhead that the overtime is not recurring and not at all part of your regular pay, etc. I don't know if you'll prevail, but it can't hurt. Appeal first to the marketing agent, and if you get rejected again, you have 5 business days to appeal to HPD. As Macnyc says, don't make arguments that his is unfair, doesn't make sense or that they should overlook a pay stub. Adopt a very sober tone. Read the Guidelines first, and pull anything out of there that applies to your case. It's fine to quote verbatim. Good luck. Let us know what happens. Here's a link to what I believe are the most recent guidelines, but check: https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/hpd/down...g-handbook.pdf

Also, write in very simple sentences. Make no more than one point per paragraph.

Old 05-25-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyrical View Post
I found the marketing guidelines but where do you find the specialized guidelines? I couldn’t find those.

Thank you in advance
If you google Marketing Guidelines HDC, click on the first link. Scroll down a little way and you will see List of Attachments. Download that if it’s one file. But I seem to recall separate files. If they’re separate, download the ones that deal with finances.

Old 05-28-2019, 11:01 AM

41 posts, read 20,422 times
To be fair, my sister won an appeal several years ago. Her job is full time with a chance of overtime. She was denied originally due to overtimes hours. I am not sure as to what she said but she was granted an apartment even though she was waitlisted shortly after they called her back within two weeks. I think you just truly need to sell yourself and explain the overtime is not on an re-current schedule.

Old 05-28-2019, 04:54 PM

39 posts, read 19,905 times
I was denied based on overtime. We were mandated to work OT for a time, but it was not permanent. I submitted emails showing that the overtime was not guaranteed and could end any time (and had in the past) and also a letter from my HR stating the same. Still denied. And right after that, OT was cancelled haha. Hopefully you have better luck!!

Old 05-28-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu1704 View Post
I was denied based on overtime. We were mandated to work OT for a time, but it was not permanent. I submitted emails showing that the overtime was not guaranteed and could end any time (and had in the past) and also a letter from my HR stating the same. Still denied. And right after that, OT was cancelled haha. Hopefully you have better luck!!
When you wrote the appeal did you take elements and paragraphs from the HPD Marketing Handbook?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or