Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 10:23 AM

506 posts, read 958,005 times

Advertisements

I have some inquiries about the tech industry in NY regarding salaries, career positions, work life balance, etc.

For anyone who currently works in IT in NY...

What is your job title?

What do you work in the public or private sector, FT employee or contractor?

How is your work life balance?

Is the tech industry great in NY in comparison to other places you know of, or worked in? is it a good place to network as well?

What is your salary range?

Old 06-08-2019, 12:31 PM

22 posts, read 22,019 times
- Senior IT Project Manager

- Private sector, FT employee

-work around 45 to 55 hours per week. Work Life balance is pretty good, but just really intense when I'm in the office.

- Seems like they expect way more in NY compared to back in MN. Its very well known that others would gladly take your place if you're not willing to put in the work. Many opportunities to meet new people in IT. I'm constantly getting linkedin messages for new jobs in IT.

Salary Range - 130k to 165k

-

-

Old 06-08-2019, 02:29 PM

1,121 posts, read 590,747 times
Zara, you should consider the west coast too. If I was female, single, and in an IT career? I heard places like SF and Seattle are great for single women.

Look at that one map of the USA with the female/male ratios. NYC has a giant pink bubble. Probably the biggest pink bubble in the USA. I'd consider out west.

I am a single male living with two black females both born in NYC. One is in IT. She wants to go out west to SF or Seattle. Just saying how it is. Good luck!

Old 06-08-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaDrake View Post
- Senior IT Project Manager

- Private sector, FT employee

-work around 45 to 55 hours per week. Work Life balance is pretty good, but just really intense when I'm in the office.

- Seems like they expect way more in NY compared to back in MN. Its very well known that others would gladly take your place if you're not willing to put in the work. Many opportunities to meet new people in IT. I'm constantly getting linkedin messages for new jobs in IT.

Salary Range - 130k to 165k

-

-
Thanks! This makes me more ambitious with my career goals back in NY again! I knew a lot of PMs at my last job in NY last year, it looks like a good career choice in the city, and the IT specialization would be even better imo, (in comparison to the business/financial/marketing route of most PMs that are a dime a dozen in NY).

That's great that the work life balance is good for you. I know employer's like to stretch everyone thin, but if you can find yourself at a good company, and environment its worth it!

That salary range!!! What else can I say. Its a great and booming field to be in now, and only getting better with certain specializations that are highly skilled and hard to replace, etc. I'm still new to IT, but my goals for right now is getting my certs in Networking and Security (Net+, then CCNA, and then Sec+, then CISSP and CEH, along with a grad degree in MS for cyber security, which is further down the road).

I'm happy to hear about the prospect of IT careers in NY. People sleep on it for the hopes of landing a big position from Silicon valley or something like that,but NY has great options too. Its still new and improving here, and not as hectic and crazy as the rat race on the west coast! I know,I'm from the NW and between Seattle, and Silicon Valley, I would much rather be in NY where the tech industry is in its infancy and growing!

With the work experience I've obtained thus far has been the federal level IT security clearance with Homeland Security and a level 4 CJIS working as a contractor for the DOJ at the moment.(I just need my TS/SCI clearance and I'm gucci to be a contractor for the DoD). I'm learning heaps while here, and plan on coming back with Dell technician cert, and hopefully the net+ and sec+ by September.

Last edited by Zara Ray; 06-08-2019 at 03:40 PM..

Old 06-08-2019, 03:31 PM

1,199 posts, read 723,984 times
Do you mean computer programming with a BS or MS in Computer Science? There are very few opportunities for Mechanical Engineering majors in NYC, especially within the aerospace and auto communities. It has sucked since Lockheed shut down in Nassau County. AFAIK, Florida and other Southern states are the place to be for young boys and girls in the Mech E world. NYC has a lot of programming jobs and they pay an average wage.

I have some family members in the '80s and '90s who did some programming like Turbo Pascal, later C, and C++. It paid around 18K at the time and they had people working 55 hours. Granted they were mostly Mechanical Engineering and Electrical Engineering grads. During the '80s and '90s programming was considered more of a women's job as well, today there are more tech bros moving in and women, immigrants and LGBT folks have been pushed out more and more.

I believe these kinds of jobs make 60K in current year, 80-100K for a supervisor who is willing to do a lot of overtime like 65 hour a week. Most people in these fields have a BTW I wonder why PropMan thinks that NYC has more women than men. NYC is a sausage party, especially the Bronx and Queens. If you go to Queens there are a lot of dudes.

FWIW, I have deadass never heard of a Computer Science guy making 130K a year. That's C Level exec territory.

Last edited by fatsquirrel; 06-08-2019 at 03:56 PM..

Old 06-08-2019, 05:00 PM

56 posts, read 60,921 times
Right now the starting salary for college grads in NYC is about 85k-95k. Few years and a promotion and you should be around 125k with bonus. Most nowadays are making 140 to 160 with a few years in. I know a principal arch making 200....C level making 130? Yeah maybe in a car wash. VP level making 280 plus performance bonus.

Old 06-08-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblank View Post
Right now the starting salary for college grads in NYC is about 85k-95k. Few years and a promotion and you should be around 125k with bonus. Most nowadays are making 140 to 160 with a few years in. I know a principal arch making 200....C level making 130? Yeah maybe in a car wash. VP level making 280 plus performance bonus.
Thanks for the input! The salaries you posted look on par with what I expected and from other salary ranges Ive found via Glassdoor, Indeed, and Payscale for NYC in the IT industry. It seems like a lot of people sleep on IT,especially in the city. Most people are ambitious towards a career in marketing or business and finance (wall st. and NY being a huge financial and marketing hub, etc). But there is a huge and exciting industry for tech. I think the biggest issue is transitioning into the field from a different background and working your way up. But once you're in, the sky is the limit! Your career will go as far as you want it.

Old 06-08-2019, 05:22 PM

56 posts, read 60,921 times
The key is passion. Most of the top earners in tech got there because they have always loved technology and thus have been in the drivers seat for years. Jobs like cyber security that you see on Yahoo's highly paid careers are rare. They usually create that job for very techy people who know how to wear many hats and have many years experience which is why they are so highly compensated. Its comparable to Nurse Practitioner or Nurse Anaesthetist jobs. They bank a ton but they been in the game for years to command that money.

Old 06-08-2019, 07:31 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
I'm going to bet you'd get better answers if you found yourself a tech forum.

Old 06-08-2019, 08:49 PM

142 posts, read 224,190 times
I'm a woman in software that lived in San Francisco and is currently living in New York.

My opinions:
- SF actually isn't better in regards to sexism. I've had men go out of their way unprompted to warn me about disparities in salary on more than one occasion
- Across the board, it seems like I've gotten the most screwed working at startup companies or companies where culture is a large component, and the least screwed at mid-size companies that cater to markets that traditionally appeal to women
- The salaries are definitely the highest in banking. For example, a senior can net 160-190. However, there is a very "bro" culture and long hours. For me it isnt worth it
- Seniors at other types of companies get 130-160
- NYC pays more than the bay for some reason in my case, by about 10 grand. This can't be accounted for by a factor of time, as I was comparing and contrasting offers from both cities. I couldn't really get bay companies to match my salary. I can't really compete with those people, they have a mental disorder and don't do anything but program. I like programming and do it sometimes outside of work as a hobby, but not like they do. There is a get rich mindset that feels gross.

Quote:
FWIW, I have deadass never heard of a Computer Science guy making 130K a year. That's C Level exec territory.
This is wrong.

Last edited by metalforever; 06-08-2019 at 08:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: