Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 03:25 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,075,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
Sounds good to me. Get rid of as many car as possible.
Who needs ambulances or large appliance delivery or transit for children and the handicapped?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 09:22 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,356,199 times
They want to encourage growth and for people to come here but then have no where for them to park their vehicles. If they want to cut down on the traffic, they would need to cut back on the ridiculous amount of taxis/car services/Ubers/etc. that are allowed on the roads. The amount of them seems endless.

If public transit was as good as it should be, not everyone would be hopping into an Uber every two seconds. Last week I paid for the express bus every night and only once did I get home when I was supposed to---can't even get the overpriced bus right.

I practically never drive into the city but a lot of people do need cars. Not everyone lives near public transit. Some of us shuttle our disabled parents around when we need to do so and some of us work outside of the city at times.

I wish I could get my husband on board with leaving this dumpster.

Old 06-14-2019, 11:26 PM

3,403 posts, read 3,575,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Who needs ambulances or large appliance delivery or transit for children and the handicapped?
Cars for business purpose and essential need should remain on the road, and I prefer less personal car on the road.

Old 06-15-2019, 12:04 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Those arent the typical cars that would be parked on CPW

Old 06-16-2019, 08:27 AM

494 posts, read 557,763 times
That is great! I think NY should be a more pedestrian friendly city. Less cars and less parking, better public transportation maybe an ambulance will actually get to people faster if there is less traffic and fewer cars on the street.

Old 06-16-2019, 09:18 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,075,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
Cars for business purpose and essential need should remain on the road, and I prefer less personal car on the road.
So few people drive for 'personal' reasons in Manhattan. It's rarely just for fun.
They have a car for the reasons which the public transit system is ineffective for them.

Those drivers ridiculous parking fees and tolls subsidize the MTA far more than the other way around. You should be thanking these people.

Old 06-16-2019, 09:33 AM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Plenty of CPW residents and or those in that area of UWS like rest of Manhattan work or go to school outside of the borough. In many cases mass transit including the subways just don't work.

Know people who live on CPW that work on NJ, Westchester, Queens and Long Island.

Then you have no small number of people who work on CPW or whatever who drive into work. Building workers like doormen, owners of various small businesses, etc....

Many doormen, porters and other building workers cannot afford to live in Manhattan even if they wanted. Guys on our street come in from all over; Staten Island, Brooklyn, Queens, and NJ.

Old 06-16-2019, 10:33 AM

268 posts, read 239,698 times
Wonderful! Manhattan needs to eliminate most street parking and replace it with dedicated bus/bike lanes as you see in other major international cities. Only side streets should have parking and no city vehicles should be allowed to park on the street overnight. Pipe dream, I know.

Old 06-17-2019, 05:49 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,613,171 times
At the very least this might help reduce congestion on west side subway lines.

Old 06-22-2019, 12:45 PM

32 posts, read 18,923 times
FACT*

More pedestrians have been killed by bicyclists driving in their bike lanes !

When crossing the street EVEN IF THE LIGHT IS RED you still have to make sure a bike does'nt zoom half inch from your nose. Bicyclists NEVER stop at red lights.

So what's better :

A few bicyclists being injured occasionally every year ? (without the lanes) *

OR

Tons of pedestrians getting hit by bozo bikers (driving in a lane designed for them).

------------------------------------

You secretly have HOMICIDAL tendencies (different than suicidal*) if you honestly drive your bike around midtown or any main avenue/street.
You simply do not value your life.
You may as well smoke cigarettes as you are guaranteed a horrible fate.
It's not a matter of IF* a vehicle will strike you. It's a matter of WHEN*

You can say "it's not fair" but remember YOU CHOSE TO LIVE IN A CONGESTED METROPOLIS.

Dear bicyclists,

You belong on the 59st bridge spans. (Astoria)
You belong on York Ave by the water (UES)
You belong on West St. by the water (UWS)

Sincerely,
- Motorists that have enough problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City