Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 07:01 AM

1 posts, read 765 times

Advertisements

Hey there,

I'm 33 and have always lived in Rochester I would have to 100% agree with the post below. Rochester is great. I've visited NYC a lot and as great as it is to visit I would hate to live there. Over-crowded. Smells, Rat infested. over-priced . For me personally I do not want to live with roommates and share 2000 square feet. I enjoy my 1800 square foot home on a middle class salary . I have a yard in a nice neighborhood. I have a lot of friends here in Rochester that have no problem finding new jobs so I'm not sure why people are unable to find them. I have a friend in graphic design, another that's an engineer, another that just got a job teaching. so plenty of jobs...

While no US cities can compare to NYC, and while I think it's good for folks to experience big-city life at least once in their lives, I think your decision to move should be based on what kind of life you want to have. I made the decision to move to Roc after spending many, many long weekends there and never wanting to return to my cramped, roach-infested apartment in Brooklyn. Aside from the complete and total rip-off that is NYC, I personally like the quaint community feel that Roc has-- not to mention the huge old trees, historic architecture (by US standards, anyway), and general access to nature. I like that in addition to the nature there's pretty decent culture and restaurants. It's also close to Canada and the fingerlakes, etc. I always find something new that I love about Roc with every trip I take there, and i personally think that the people who ***** about Roc are too lazy to really "dig-in" and see what it has to offer. And even though there aren't as many people who live in Roc, I think building a community there is actually easier because it's not a transient city like NYC where people are constantly moving in and moving out without building roots.

I can go on and on about Roc, and I havent thought twice about my decision to move-- I'm ready to move into my lovely two bedroom two bath place in the Park Ave/ Arts district area. The rent is cheap, the house is beautiful and clean and has a backyard and the street is tree-lined with bars, restaurants, and shops around the corner. What more could I ask for? But then again, maybe it took the four years I spent losing money and living in squalor to really appreciate my up-and-coming life in Roc... either way, congrats on the job and move

Read more: [url]http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-york-city/305679-rochester-vs-brooklyn-where-should-we-2.html#ixzz4et8i5kQm[/url]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 08:17 AM

64 posts, read 176,693 times
Rochester definitely isn't on a decline. In fact it's on an upswing. The population of Rochester city proper has been steadily increasing after decades of decreasing. More kids who go to U of R and RIT are sticking around instead of high tailing it out ASAP as has been the trend in the past. It's probably one of the best places in NY state to run a small business (for whatever that's worth) and you'll find neighborhoods with nice parks, tons of good food, and local businesses. If you're trying to do anything creative it's a great place as well. Rochester has been gentrifying in a 'good' way if that makes sense. Immigrants from all over are building little communities there. It has a great public market that has been voted best farmers market in america multple times.

I am from NYC but have family up there and love visiting. It's been better and better each visit. My biggest problem with that whole area is the weather. We can have some pretty miserable days in NYC in the winter, but even with that, there is still life and action outside. Rochester is pretty much grey and cold from like December to April and it seems the whole population hibernates

Old 04-21-2017, 04:11 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,822,564 times
Rochester all day long. Brooklyn is an overpriced hipster paradise infested with rats and roaches. Why pay for trendiness? Pay for better living for yourself.

Also regarding weather, were not comparing Rochester and Tampa here. Rochester and Brooklyn both have pretty dismal winters. At least Rochester has somewhere to put the snow!

Old 04-21-2017, 04:55 PM

201 posts, read 389,001 times
This thread was from 2008.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City