Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 05:59 PM

54 posts, read 72,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by propman-nyc View Post
I am thinking since he said it is the Lincoln Center area, he is west of LC. I am thinking of those brown brick buildings if you walk directly west a couple blocks of Lincoln Center. Think Upper West Side Story turned "semi-luxury" slash half projects inside, slash half gentrified and remodeled inside. But I dunno because I have never been in any of those units...
Close. You have the area right. It's actually one of the new glass buildings that are half projects. And you are right - about a quarter of the residents pay $400 or $500 for the same apartment that I pay $4k for (which, I still can't wrap my mind around). They're definitely not the only ones causing the noise and stink though.

For the MR-ers, in most units, at least two people live in each unit so their rent is each actually half of mine. Maybe I should get a bf and then we can move into an 8k/mo house in CT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
And the irony is that he is helping to support the noisy neighbors. Welcome to progressive liberal Democrat dominated NYC!
Would you believe this city turned me from a moderate liberal to now solidly sitting at the right side of the spectrum? Sometimes I wonder why I'm working when most of my salary goes to pay the difference between a market rate unit and a housing lottery unit. In what world is this close to fair?

However, I think the market rate tenants are causing some (much?) of the trouble.

Old 06-18-2019, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
This is why living in the city and paying more is often not worth it.

You clearly make enough money to afford better options so why not be more selective? There are 2.5k a month studios that would be less noisy even in the city.
That's a lesson I guess I had to learn the hard way.

Any ideas for nice, quiet cities maybe about a 30 min (heavy-rail) train ride away? Anything in NJ or Westchester? I'm from the west coast and still not too familiar with the area.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:16 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,959,283 times
When I moved back to NY I got an partment in South Beach in Staten Island. Then when I got married we rented a one bedroom apt in a two family house in Bensonhurst, then a two bedroom apartment in a two family house in Bensonhurst. It was about 45 minutes to work in Manhattan by Subway.There's also many apartments in two family homes in Staten Island. Probably 75 minutes commute by express bus to Manhattan, or by train/ferry/subway depending on where you live and work. All of these currently for around 2K per month or less. You then could easily lease a new car. I never even considered living in Manhattan. No one I knew or worked with lived in Manhattan. The last time rents were affordable in Manhattan was in the early 1970's.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:14 PM

54 posts, read 29,618 times
Quote:
That's a lesson I guess I had to learn the hard way.

Any ideas for nice, quiet cities maybe about a 30 min (heavy-rail) train ride away? Anything in NJ or Westchester? I'm from the west coast and still not too familiar with the area.
Look into Bronxville in Westchester County or Mount Vernon West, a stop or so before Bronxville on the Metro North. There's plenty of decent co-ops and/or rentals along that side of the rail. About 30-40 min ride from Bronxville to Grand Central I think. White Plains in Westchester is more city-like than the other towns I mentioned - much cleaner for sure and quieter. Bar and restaurant scene along the main strip keeps things interesting.

You can try going into the Westchester County forums on CD and ask the locals about the quality of living there.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:32 PM

821 posts, read 775,195 times
I’ve lived in Jersey City & Long Island City in newer buildings and thankfully haven’t had any of the problems that you’ve mentioned.

Maybe look into LIC or Jersey City? You could get a lot more than a small studio for $4k/month.

It really depends on where you work since those neighborhoods might not be convenient to where you work.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:53 PM

54 posts, read 29,618 times
Quote:
Maybe look into LIC or Jersey City? You could get a lot more than a small studio for $4k/month.
Great point, LIC especially along the water front at Gantry Plaza State Park. Had a great family atmosphere, beautiful high rises with a gorgeous view of the river and skyline! I was there visiting the park last summer and saw a big mix of families, twenty somethings and beyond. You may have to bus it or walk to the train, but you would save money as opposed to commuting on the MetroNorth from Westchester County.

Old 06-18-2019, 11:24 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
lol. This is deja vu. I'm wondering if livingsinglenyc's bass loving 24/7 party people have moved into your area. What's wrong with headphones is my question (your neighbor using them, not you).
Nope he's still here! I'd like to send him to be a next door neighbor of a few poster's on here. One day when I have the funds, watch out people fellow posters who like to blame woman for being attacked or raped....

Old 06-18-2019, 11:28 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Vegas View Post
Thanks, both. Yeah, I may need to just get out of Manhattan. Riverdale doesn't seem to have a great commute option, but I'm thinking maybe somewhere along the Metro North line or even along the NJ train line. If I were planning to stay for the long haul, I'd buy a co-op in a building with rules, but I dont see myself staying here more than a couple of years.

By the way, it's past 2am and a neighbor is blasting his bass ridiculously loud. Building staff just writes an "incident report" and doesnt do anything.
I have a neighbor and I video the sound. I start down the hall and walk with the camera to his door so they can hear how loud he is. Its time stamped so they know when he's doing that at 3 am. Then I send the video to management as proof of him breaking the rules in his lease.
Tenant laws are very friendly though in NYC so don't count on them getting kicked out. Just hope management can put enough pressure on them to stop or to at least quiet down.

Old 06-19-2019, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I have a neighbor and I video the sound. I start down the hall and walk with the camera to his door so they can hear how loud he is. Its time stamped so they know when he's doing that at 3 am. Then I send the video to management as proof of him breaking the rules in his lease.
Tenant laws are very friendly though in NYC so don't count on them getting kicked out. Just hope management can put enough pressure on them to stop or to at least quiet down.
That's what I hear (from the building manager) - that it's very difficult to evict tenants in NYC.

The more I learn about this city, the more I realize it's not for me. I'm all about people respecting community rules so that everyone can enjoy their lives. I also think that it's not right for one tenant to pay $4k while another pays only $400 for the same apartment. Obviously, if one can qualify for the lottery they should go for it (don't hate the player, hate the game!) But this city is backwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City