Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2019, 12:45 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,644,424 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what you think the odds are of making new friends in NYC.

Because there is so much to do, and lots of possibilities re: Meetups and other groups - along with the fact that it is apparently not weird for people to dine alone or hang out in a coffee shop alone (or whatever) - it seems like it would be possible to make new friends in the city.

What is your experience or perspective?

Is it considered okay to just talk to people wherever, or no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 01:16 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,117,398 times
People who are engaging, outgoing and not afraid to invite people to do things will make friends in NY. But I doubt that 'talking to people wherever' is going to be the start of a friendship. Usually it happens over a shared bond, common interest, or even same building or same gym or yoga studio.

I don't think just randomly talking to people in, say, Central Park, or on the subway is going to gain you new friends. But I guess you never know. When I was studying Spanish, I met a Spanish speaker on the subway who was in English school and we became language partners and met up to study multiple times over the period of a few months.

Old 06-19-2019, 01:47 PM

3,403 posts, read 3,572,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
People who are engaging, outgoing and not afraid to invite people to do things will make friends in NY. But I doubt that 'talking to people wherever' is going to be the start of a friendship. Usually it happens over a shared bond, common interest, or even same building or same gym or yoga studio.

I don't think just randomly talking to people in, say, Central Park, or on the subway is going to gain you new friends. But I guess you never know. When I was studying Spanish, I met a Spanish speaker on the subway who was in English school and we became language partners and met up to study multiple times over the period of a few months.
Agreed with this common, specifically with the part about shared bond, common interest, or same building and gym.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:28 PM

15,822 posts, read 14,460,687 times
Lots of older women in NYC. Shouldn't be too hard.

Old 06-19-2019, 10:15 PM

6,136 posts, read 4,498,140 times
You'll have no trouble at all if you have any interests. Before I left NYC, I made a move from one end of the city to the other (read: 2 hours on public transportation) and it felt like the dark side of the moon after many years in the same place. I checked MeetUp and even in the burbs, there were groups reachable by bus that met my interests. I'm still in touch with some of those newer friends now that I'm in the boonies.

As far as chatting to strangers, it's helpful before you make real friends to know that you can interact with so many people on a superficial level just by going to the store and back. You'd also be surprised what a homey feeling your immediate area can have once you know a few local people to say hi to in the store and library, etc.

I think you'll be fine.

Old 06-20-2019, 05:07 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,828,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Just wondering what you think the odds are of making new friends in NYC.

Because there is so much to do, and lots of possibilities re: Meetups and other groups - along with the fact that it is apparently not weird for people to dine alone or hang out in a coffee shop alone (or whatever) - it seems like it would be possible to make new friends in the city.

What is your experience or perspective?

Is it considered okay to just talk to people wherever, or no?

Chances of making friends in the city are greater if you reside on a street filled with apartments
as compared to single family homes. It's mathematics. Of course your personality is the main ingredient.

Old 06-20-2019, 06:22 AM

4,192 posts, read 4,075,994 times
What is your definition of an older woman? 50? 75? That would make a difference.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:19 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,233,950 times

Old 06-20-2019, 09:15 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,540,780 times
Take a class or two or three. Get involved in your local temple/church/synagogue. Theater groups. Get a library card. There are TONS of things to do at the local libraries. I took classes at the JCC and have made some terrific new friends that I now socialize with outside of that class. Also took a bridge class and made friends, one of whom will be hiring me for part time work. Volunteer in places/areas that you're interested in.

You'll be fine .

PS I eat out alone all the time. Not weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City