Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2021, 11:08 AM

10 posts, read 74,294 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I have searched all over the DSNY website and can't find the answer to the following question, specific to a 2-family house. (Some guidelines/ laws are different for 2-family buildings vs buildings that are 3-family or more).

Question: Is an owner-occupied 2-family house (owner on ground floor, rental apartment on 2nd floor) REQUIRED to have metal/ plastic garbage bin(s) in front of the building? It would only be used by the one apartment on the 2nd floor. Currently there are no bins out front - - the 2nd floor apartment has always had the responsibility (indicated in their Lease) to bring their garbage/ recycling (in the proper bags, etc.) directly from their apartment to the curb on pick-up days. Is it illegal for the building to not have bins out front? This is in Brooklyn.

Thanks, appreciate knowing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2021, 11:22 AM

2,315 posts, read 1,152,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yasky View Post
Hi,
I have searched all over the DSNY website and can't find the answer to the following question, specific to a 2-family house. (Some guidelines/ laws are different for 2-family buildings vs buildings that are 3-family or more).

Question: Is an owner-occupied 2-family house (owner on ground floor, rental apartment on 2nd floor) REQUIRED to have metal/ plastic garbage bin(s) in front of the building? It would only be used by the one apartment on the 2nd floor. Currently there are no bins out front - - the 2nd floor apartment has always had the responsibility (indicated in their Lease) to bring their garbage/ recycling (in the proper bags, etc.) directly from their apartment to the curb on pick-up days. Is it illegal for the building to not have bins out front? This is in Brooklyn.

Thanks, appreciate knowing!

At least in my neighborhoods the owners of 2-family homes provide the garbage bins, which are usually left on the side of the house and put out front the night before garbage day.

Some DSNY info here may be helpful - https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/dsny/sit...-for-residents

Old 02-25-2021, 12:22 PM

10 posts, read 74,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
At least in my neighborhoods the owners of 2-family homes provide the garbage bins, which are usually left on the side of the house and put out front the night before garbage day.

Some DSNY info here may be helpful - https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/dsny/sit...-for-residents

Hi, thanks - -
yes, I read it but was confused by the following 2 paragraphs (see my explanation further down):

"All buildings eligible for DSNY services must have enough receptacles to contain the waste generated in a 72-hour period.
Garbage must be put into leak-proof receptacles with tightly fitting lids or in securely tied heavy duty opaque (for example, black or brown) plastic bags."

According to the first paragraph, I thought bins were required because "receptacles" are required (although the word "bins" is not specifically indicated which seems inconsistent if that is what is meant). Then in the second paragraph, it indicates receptacles OR bags which I take to mean that either one is acceptable. So that makes it seem as though bags are considered a form of receptacle. Do you see why the confusion? Or perhaps I'm misreading/ over-thinking it.

This is an attached building ie there's no "side" where bins can go. They'd have to be chained to the front of the building (subject to rampant graffiti/ damage, etc). According to some NYC laws, an owner-occupied house with an apartment above is regarded to be more of a private house than an apartment building. So, I thought perhaps that might affect things in this case as well as I don't think private houses are required to have bins in front.

Wonder if I can actually reach DSNY by phone, for clarification...

Last edited by yasky; 02-25-2021 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: added something

Old 02-25-2021, 12:36 PM

2,315 posts, read 1,152,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yasky View Post
Hi, thanks - -
yes, I read it but was confused by the following 2 paragraphs (see my explanation further down):

"All buildings eligible for DSNY services must have enough receptacles to contain the waste generated in a 72-hour period.
Garbage must be put into leak-proof receptacles with tightly fitting lids or in securely tied heavy duty opaque (for example, black or brown) plastic bags."

According to the first paragraph, I thought bins were required because "receptacles" are required (although the word "bins" is not specifically indicated which seems inconsistent if that is what is meant). Then in the second paragraph, it indicates receptacles OR bags which I take to mean that either one is acceptable. So that makes it seem as though bags are considered a form of receptacle. Do you see why the confusion? Or perhaps I'm misreading/ over-thinking it.

This is an attached building ie there's no "side" where bins can go. They'd have to be chained to the front of the building (subject to rampant graffiti/ damage, etc). According to some NYC laws, an owner-occupied house with an apartment above is regarded to be more of a private house than an apartment building. So, I thought perhaps that might affect things in this case as well as I don't think private houses are required to have bins in front.

Wonder if I can actually reach DSNY by phone, for clarification...

Unraveling what should be simple information is typical of NYC agencies. Contact your local Councilmember and ask him/her to get clarification from the DSNY.

Old 02-27-2021, 05:20 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Response: Opinion

As a former multifamily Landlord I supplied Color coded 40 gallon plastic containers with lids.
Green for paper, blue for plastics and metal and black for garbage.
They were located on the side and away from the house not in front.

Another 2 family home no containers as locations
would have ended up under an apartment window
or blocked an active driveway.

A single family home ...........................no containers whatsoever.

There is obviously a reason if your Landlord does not supply a container.
Keep a container in your home. Take out the garbage the evening before
collection.

Best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City