U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2019, 11:28 AM

1 posts, read 154 times

Advertisements

I recently met a woman named Vivian who told me she and her husband had a successful restaurant across the street from the Waldorf Astoria for forty years. I'm guessing this was from the early '60s to late '90s. I can't remember the name of it, but I think it was vaguely Spanish-sounding, or possibly Italian. It did not have a French name. Does anybody know what the name of this restaurant was? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2019, 11:43 AM

1,099 posts, read 373,740 times
There are 4 sides to a building, what side from Waldorf were you thinking of?

Waldorf is being converted to condos. Plenty of restaurants in the area

Old 07-07-2019, 11:57 AM

3,529 posts, read 3,364,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStation46 View Post

What is the status with WA?

The Chines corrupt tycoon who bought it has been jailed and will probably die in his cell due to mysterious reasons before he has a chance to ever get out again (and I will let go one of my crocodile tears should that indeed happen). So who is now running/managing this WA?

Old 07-07-2019, 02:47 PM

20,775 posts, read 13,771,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
What is the status with WA?

The Chines corrupt tycoon who bought it has been jailed and will probably die in his cell due to mysterious reasons before he has a chance to ever get out again (and I will let go one of my crocodile tears should that indeed happen). So who is now running/managing this WA?
Does this answer your question? https://ny.curbed.com/nyc-developmen...ouglas-elliman

Highly doubt Mr. Wu will "die of mysterious" circumstances before his 18 year prison term is out. China may not be the USA, but it isn't Putin's Russia either.

https://nypost.com/2018/05/10/founde...ars-in-prison/

Old 07-07-2019, 02:59 PM

8,185 posts, read 3,503,513 times
Maybe the OP is thinking about "Inside Park", which is where St. Bartholomew's Church is? The location is well known. The food is ok overall. More about the ambiance, especially if you can sit outside with it being next to the Waldorf. I pass by regularly since my office is near Park and the sidestreet where that church is on 50th is disgusting.

Old 07-08-2019, 07:30 AM

56,107 posts, read 54,597,263 times
Quote:
Yes, OP, you would need more info than "a restaurant that was across from the Waldorf Astoria with a Spanish or Italian name" to identify this place.

Quote:
He's talking about a restaurant that closed twenty years ago.

Old 07-08-2019, 07:33 AM

56,107 posts, read 54,597,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Maybe the OP is thinking about "Inside Park", which is where St. Bartholomew's Church is? The location is well known. The food is ok overall. More about the ambiance, especially if you can sit outside with it being next to the Waldorf. I pass by regularly since my office is near Park and the sidestreet where that church is on 50th is disgusting.
Quote:
she and her husband had a successful restaurant across the street from the Waldorf Astoria for forty years. I'm guessing this was from the early '60s to late '90s.
It sounds as if you are talking about a restaurant that is still in business, so that can't be it. Plus "Inside Park" sounds neither Spanish nor Italian.

Old Yesterday, 10:35 PM

3,529 posts, read 3,364,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Does this answer your question? https://ny.curbed.com/nyc-developmen...ouglas-elliman

Highly doubt Mr. Wu will "die of mysterious" circumstances before his 18 year prison term is out. China may not be the USA, but it isn't Putin's Russia either.

https://nypost.com/2018/05/10/founde...ars-in-prison/

there were rumors that Wu's attorney and family requests to visit him were consistently rejected by the authority....no one has seen him (alive or dead) since he went to jail...you never know what could happen behind the cell system under ccp control... a lot of political prisoners died of said acute health conditions...

again, he is a perp and i won't bother to shed a tear whatever happened to him...i am more concerned about the fate of this historical building than his...

Old Today, 06:02 PM

125 posts, read 60,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineKnow View Post
I recently met a woman named Vivian who told me she and her husband had a successful restaurant across the street from the Waldorf Astoria for forty years. I'm guessing this was from the early '60s to late '90s. I can't remember the name of it, but I think it was vaguely Spanish-sounding, or possibly Italian. It did not have a French name. Does anybody know what the name of this restaurant was? Thank you.
San Martin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City