U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 10:47 AM

1,201 posts, read 267,587 times

Advertisements

One thing I've noticed that a lot of people here do is save old cooking oil. My dad used to keep used vegetable (corn, soybean, etc) oil in a giant jam jar until it developed a deep brown color. Other families save them in coffee cans.

This is a constant across the board ethnically and socioeconomically, I think. I don't do it because I use the spray from Dollar Tree which has no fat.

Where does the NYC tradition of saving cooking oil come from? I heard other states save pork oil instead so that it gives a flavor to the foods, but it seems to serve no purpose other than economy in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 11:06 AM

1,887 posts, read 1,282,735 times
I pour my cooking grease, fat and oils into a tin can I keep in the freezer. I do it as to not clog up the drain. Once the can is full, I toss it.

Old 07-09-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
I pour my cooking grease, fat and oils into a tin can I keep in the freezer. I do it as to not clog up the drain. Once the can is full, I toss it.
Do you keep it for reuse?

Old 07-09-2019, 03:03 PM

2,426 posts, read 5,048,281 times
I've never known anyone to reuse it. We always (and still do) kept it in a can so it didn't clog the drains. It's a mix of stuff drained off of different foods, so I don't even know what it would be good for. I think I've heard of (either read in a book or saw a movie or something, so don't know how true it is) people using bacon fat? It's all garbage as far as I'm concerned!

Old 07-09-2019, 03:16 PM

20,756 posts, read 13,756,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
I've never known anyone to reuse it. We always (and still do) kept it in a can so it didn't clog the drains. It's a mix of stuff drained off of different foods, so I don't even know what it would be good for. I think I've heard of (either read in a book or saw a movie or something, so don't know how true it is) people using bacon fat? It's all garbage as far as I'm concerned!
Fat from cooking certain pork items like bacon is often saved and reused because of the flavor it imparts. Corn bread made from bacon drippings is wonderful.....

Restaurants and other places routinely reuse cooking oil. Stuff gets filtered, used again and maybe lather rinse and repeat until it has broken down, and or otherwise is rancid/usable.

Lower quality fast food and other places are famous for reusing cooking oil far too many times. It is one reason why fried foods are always greasy.

Think reason many housewives and others don't keep/reuse cooking oil is that less people fry foods as often compared to back in the day.

My AA friends tell me their moms/grandmothers or whoever don't fry chicken nearly as often compared to when they were coming up.

Same is true for pork/bacon drippings. There was a time when nearly every morning and or at least on weekend there was something fried for breakfast (eggs, bacon, ham steak, etc....). People have moved away from all that so what is the point of keeping oil/drippings that may sit for weeks (or months) before being used again. By that time the stuff has broken down and or gone rancid and shouldn't be used anyway.

Old 07-09-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Fat from cooking certain pork items like bacon is often saved and reused because of the flavor it imparts. Corn bread made from bacon drippings is wonderful.....

Restaurants and other places routinely reuse cooking oil. Stuff gets filtered, used again and maybe lather rinse and repeat until it has broken down, and or otherwise is rancid/usable.

Lower quality fast food and other places are famous for reusing cooking oil far too many times. It is one reason why fried foods are always greasy.

Think reason many housewives and others don't keep/reuse cooking oil is that less people fry foods as often compared to back in the day.

My AA friends tell me their moms/grandmothers or whoever don't fry chicken nearly as often compared to when they were coming up.

Same is true for pork/bacon drippings. There was a time when nearly every morning and or at least on weekend there was something fried for breakfast (eggs, bacon, ham steak, etc....). People have moved away from all that so what is the point of keeping oil/drippings that may sit for weeks (or months) before being used again. By that time the stuff has broken down and or gone rancid and shouldn't be used anyway.
The cooking grease turns hard and then when you cook it the germs go away and you can keep using it. That way, fish will taste like chicken and chicken will taste like fish.

Old 07-09-2019, 03:31 PM

5,236 posts, read 8,402,791 times
Not just NYC.

First, cooking oils should never be poured down a sink drain. Major cause of clogs when oil hardens in pipes.

Next, any family that lived thru the Great Depression saved anything and everything that was reusable. My grandmothers used tea bags and coffee grounds twice, saved cooking oil rather than use lard or butter, mended worn clothes, etc. This was in a big city in Ohio, not a farm in Kansas :-)

Old 07-09-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Not just NYC.

First, cooking oils should never be poured down a sink drain. Major cause of clogs when oil hardens in pipes.

Next, any family that lived thru the Great Depression saved anything and everything that was reusable. My grandmothers used tea bags and coffee grounds twice, saved cooking oil rather than use lard or butter, mended worn clothes, etc. This was in a big city in Ohio, not a farm in Kansas :-)
So it is normal.

Old 07-09-2019, 03:52 PM

20,756 posts, read 13,756,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsquirrel View Post
So it is normal.
Yes, and has been going on for years.

You could and maybe still can for all I know purchase canister sets with one clearly marked "bacon". That was of course for holding drippings.

During WWII in both USA and Europe people saved/reused cooking fats, and or donated for war effort.

Make It Do - Rationing of Fats & Oils in World War II

https://www.daytonhistorybooks.com/p...ge/1652512.htm

People have been saving/reusing fats/oils for ages. Cooking oils/fats/lard, etc.. aren't cheap (unless you live on a farm and or have access to animal fats), so people reused things more than once.

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how...sed-frying-oil

Note if frying/cooking was done properly the oil shouldn't be destroyed by just one use. Thus it would be perfectly fine to strain and reuse again.

Saving cooking oil | Roadfood.com Discussion Board

Old 07-09-2019, 05:51 PM

1,975 posts, read 960,836 times
I have an acquaintance who pours it down the sink and when you point out the dangers of that he explains that it's fine, he always runs hot water after.

He's quite the genius.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or