U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:00 PM

3,809 posts, read 974,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by funcrusher3000 View Post
Elaborate if you can...

Ridgewood seems better than ever to me , and I haven't noticed any changes in Glendale.
My opinion:

There was a time where you could actually find a parking spot without frustration.
Not today.
There was a time the streets were so clean you could eat off them.
Not today.
There was a time you could walk to the corner butcher shop and order a real steak.
Not today.
There was a time you could walk to the corner vegetable store and buy the freshest of fruits.
Not today.
There was a time when home owners scrubbed down the steps,hosed down the sidewalks and
swept the streets before the street sweeper rolled by.
Not today.
There was a time when you could relax by an open window after a hard day's work and listen to only birds chirping.
Not today.

The Ridgewood and Glendale I knew back then,although not perfect, could fill church pews to capacity on any given Sunday and most homeowners followed the dogma of cleanliness is next to Godliness. I frequent the neighborhoods occasionally and do not see the love of home ownership that have now become temporary warehousing for transients....Only those who grew up here way back when could understand. I was fortunate to see the writings on the walls years ago and have moved on to a place that reminds me of the good old days where folks take pride in their homes and treat their neighbors like members of their families. I hope Ridgewood and Glendale do not continue down the road of self destruction and become the next future
target of gentrification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 10:27 AM

1,840 posts, read 536,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
My opinion:

There was a time where you could actually find a parking spot without frustration.
Not today.
There was a time the streets were so clean you could eat off them.
Not today.
There was a time you could walk to the corner butcher shop and order a real steak.
Not today.
There was a time you could walk to the corner vegetable store and buy the freshest of fruits.
Not today.
There was a time when home owners scrubbed down the steps,hosed down the sidewalks and
swept the streets before the street sweeper rolled by.
Not today.
There was a time when you could relax by an open window after a hard day's work and listen to only birds chirping.
Not today.

The Ridgewood and Glendale I knew back then,although not perfect, could fill church pews to capacity on any given Sunday and most homeowners followed the dogma of cleanliness is next to Godliness. I frequent the neighborhoods occasionally and do not see the love of home ownership that have now become temporary warehousing for transients....Only those who grew up here way back when could understand. I was fortunate to see the writings on the walls years ago and have moved on to a place that reminds me of the good old days where folks take pride in their homes and treat their neighbors like members of their families. I hope Ridgewood and Glendale do not continue down the road of self destruction and become the next future
target of gentrification.
So what if you can't find a parking spot? Those are truly urban neighborhoods (Ridgewood more so), if you want to drive then you'll have to deal with the annoyances.

Not being able to find an old school butcher has nothing to do with Ridgewood or Glendale being different, it's not 1965 anymore and society has changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or