U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:10 AM

803 posts, read 578,531 times

Advertisements

I’ve been rewatching this show a lot lately. In season 2 an apartment opens up in Jerry’s apartment in the Upper West Side. The rent is $400 a month.

In the same episode Elaine is interested in the apartment, but the two guys in charge of renting out the apartments are crooked and despite promising it to her rent it to someone else since they paid them $5,000. They agree if Elaine has $5,000 they’ll rent it to her still. But Elaine, who is always presented as at least somewhat successful, doesn’t have $5,000. Adjusted for inflation that is still less than $10,000. This shows that even back then New Yorkers weren’t expected to have any kind of savings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:14 AM

140 posts, read 32,085 times
That really wasn't very long ago. Not much has changed.

Old Yesterday, 10:32 AM

1,856 posts, read 538,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope of Greenwich Village View Post
That really wasn't very long ago. Not much has changed.
Yes it was. Seinfeld debuted in 1989, a lot has changed in 30 years. It ended in 1998 and things were still a lot different back then.

Old Yesterday, 10:35 AM

1,856 posts, read 538,774 times
I always found it unrealistic how common car ownership is in Seinfeld despite them all living in Manhattan. Only occasionally do I remember people taking the subway. Obviously plenty of people in Manhattan drive, however it is not the norm.

Old Yesterday, 10:35 AM

1,978 posts, read 2,107,441 times
Julia Louis-Dreyfus should have lent her character the money!

Seinfeld would have been an even better show if it had been produced in NYC.

Old Yesterday, 02:40 PM

744 posts, read 371,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I always found it unrealistic how common car ownership is in Seinfeld despite them all living in Manhattan. Only occasionally do I remember people taking the subway. Obviously plenty of people in Manhattan drive, however it is not the norm.
Agreed! I was just watching it today and thought that. Why are they always driving?

Old Yesterday, 03:03 PM

140 posts, read 32,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
Agreed! I was just watching it today and thought that. Why are they always driving?
Same reason every sitcom has a big sofa front and center in every house. Easier to frame the shot.

But thinking back Jerry is the type of guy who would have a car in Manhattan. He was a successful, well paid entertainer and kept his car in a garage. True to real life for a guy like that on the UWS.

Kramer had cars occasionally when someone lent him one etc.

Costanza lived in Queens with his parents, Elaine...can't remember if she ever had a car.

IIRC There's plenty of scenes with subways too.

Old Today, 06:31 AM

3,684 posts, read 2,180,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
I’ve been rewatching this show a lot lately. In season 2 an apartment opens up in Jerry’s apartment in the Upper West Side. The rent is $400 a month.

In the same episode Elaine is interested in the apartment, but the two guys in charge of renting out the apartments are crooked and despite promising it to her rent it to someone else since they paid them $5,000. They agree if Elaine has $5,000 they’ll rent it to her still. But Elaine, who is always presented as at least somewhat successful, doesn’t have $5,000. Adjusted for inflation that is still less than $10,000. This shows that even back then New Yorkers weren’t expected to have any kind of savings.
In 1989 an apartment on the Upper West Side wasn't $400/month, it was more like $1000/month.

Old Today, 06:56 AM

6 posts, read 749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
In 1989 an apartment on the Upper West Side wasn't $400/month, it was more like $1000/month.
Yea 400 seems low. I remember in Annie Hall her apartment on the UES was 400 in 1977. Woody seemed to think this was a lot though.

Old Today, 07:21 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,673,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
But Elaine, who is always presented as at least somewhat successful, doesn’t have $5,000. Adjusted for inflation that is still less than $10,000. This shows that even back then New Yorkers weren’t expected to have any kind of savings.
This would be true of Americans as a whole, not just New Yorkers. It's a known issue that Americans' savings rates are abysmal, and younger Americans in their 20's and 30s are generally the worst savers of all. This was true back in the 1990s and is true today.

Here's just one article of many on the low savings rates of Americans:

https://www.fool.com/saving/2016/10/...ings-rate.aspx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or