U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-12-2019, 12:10 PM
 
70 posts, read 56,647 times
Reputation: 50

Advertisements

This seems ridiculous to me, affordable housing that you apply for on Housing Connect is above market value???? I think the tax breaks these people get are stupid, just like the preferential rents in my current apartment.

https://a806-housingconnect.nyc.gov/...entPdf/744.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-12-2019, 12:19 PM
 
11,302 posts, read 21,780,789 times
Reputation: 8910
What information do you have that it's "above market value"? It seems to me that a one bedroom in a brand new building with amenities such as a roof deck, located one block from a subway station in a nice neighborhood like Astoria, is going to be far more than $2300 on the open market.

Many of the new construction apartment buildings in Astoria are very far from the subway, and this can affect prices a lot. A one block walk to the N/W train is going to come at a premium.

So...how much do you think a brand new one bedroom apartment one block from the N/W train in Astoria would be (market value)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2019, 01:48 PM
 
2,610 posts, read 1,946,669 times
Reputation: 2579
I agree, consider the stagnant salary growth and the rapid rate of inflation, this is by no mean of affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2019, 02:01 PM
 
6,413 posts, read 5,899,936 times
Reputation: 4529
Wow 15 years ago, I lived with 2 roommates in Astoria, in a 3 bedroom/2 bathroom apartment. Whole apartment cost $1850. Its sad this is now considered affordable. But sadly for that area and with the amenities it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2019, 05:05 PM
 
32 posts, read 7,257 times
Reputation: 36
It’s definitely not affordable housing in the true sense . On housing connect half the time they post really expensive apartment . I’m not sure why they even do that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2019, 06:20 PM
 
45 posts, read 14,174 times
Reputation: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Wow 15 years ago, I lived with 2 roommates in Astoria, in a 3 bedroom/2 bathroom apartment. Whole apartment cost $1850. Its sad this is now considered affordable. But sadly for that area and with the amenities it is.
Interesting. I know someone that recently snagged a 3 BR in Midwood for $1900. Private house too. Commute times really make a difference don't they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2019, 06:49 PM
 
10,662 posts, read 8,548,183 times
Reputation: 5134
The more affordable housing the government pumps, the more unaffordable housing gets. That's the way the last 10 years played out.

Last edited by ShirlMastic Beach; 07-13-2019 at 07:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2019, 06:53 PM
 
Location: Confines of the 101 Precinct
19,620 posts, read 34,728,321 times
Reputation: 8409
Housing costs are crazy, who r we kidding
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2019, 07:55 PM
 
10,662 posts, read 8,548,183 times
Reputation: 5134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
What information do you have that it's "above market value"? It seems to me that a one bedroom in a brand new building with amenities such as a roof deck, located one block from a subway station in a nice neighborhood like Astoria, is going to be far more than $2300 on the open market.

Many of the new construction apartment buildings in Astoria are very far from the subway, and this can affect prices a lot. A one block walk to the N/W train is going to come at a premium.

So...how much do you think a brand new one bedroom apartment one block from the N/W train in Astoria would be (market value)?
I lived in Astoria about 13 years ago. At the time it was a brand new building. It was one bedroom with a balcony, and a short two block walk to the subway. Market rate rent was $1200/month. Today I'd bet it is over $3k, easily.

Government is trying to hide post-financial crisis inflation in housing. I hope this strategy doesn't backfire. It's already pushing working families to the brink, the same working families that these government officials supposedly work so hard to support. At some point so-called self-proclaimed socialist will have to leave the most expensive real estate in the country. But for now, as long as they get to live in their fancy cities, it's all good for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2019, 08:21 PM
 
11,302 posts, read 21,780,789 times
Reputation: 8910
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirlMastic Beach View Post
I lived in Astoria about 13 years ago. At the time it was a brand new building. It was one bedroom with a balcony, and a short two block walk to the subway. Market rate rent was $1200/month. Today I'd bet it is over $3k, easily.

Government is trying to hide post-financial crisis inflation in housing. I hope this strategy doesn't backfire. It's already pushing working families to the brink, the same working families that these government officials supposedly work so hard to support. At some point so-called self-proclaimed socialist will have to leave the most expensive real estate in the country. But for now, as long as they get to live in their fancy cities, it's all good for them.
Yes, my guestimate for a new construction decent sized one bedroom one block from the subway in Astoria is also $3000 or even $3300. No question rents have skyrocketed since 2006.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top