U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:46 PM

3,789 posts, read 1,378,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
GTFOH

WoW

Crazy right?

the New York City blackout of 1977 was an electricity blackout that affected most of New York City on July 1314, 1977. Wikipedia
Dates: Jul 13, 1977 Jul 14, 1977
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:46 PM

2,132 posts, read 989,880 times
My condo building is affected. I'm visiting my mom in Queens and was ready to head out. I think I'm going to stay put. Apparently, an electrical manhole exploded on 49st St on 6th and a 2nd incident of a transfomer exploding on 64th street on the west end that caused the outage.

People are trapped in elevators, subway; St. Luke's hospital, Lincoln Ctr, Radio City & Rockefeller Ctr is affected and B'way shows are canceled. It affects midtown from 6th Ave all the way to 10th and to the entire UWS. 40k customers without power. But power is slowly being restored. They're targeting 10 PM fully restored.

Last edited by Aeran; Yesterday at 06:55 PM..

Old Yesterday, 06:52 PM

Quote:
GTFOH

WoW
Nope. For real. But they're not suspecting foul play. Just a coincidence.

Old Yesterday, 06:52 PM

3,789 posts, read 1,378,827 times
Quote 5 mins ago from a guy on Fox News

"This is a different city than it was in 1977 so I don't expect to hear about looting or anything like that because people in 2019 are better behaved"

Old Yesterday, 06:54 PM

3,833 posts, read 1,980,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
My condo building is affected. I'm visiting my mom in Queens and was ready to head out. I think I'm going to stay put. Apparently, an electrical manhole exploded on 49st St on 6th and another incident of a transfomer exploding on 64th street on the west end that caused the outage. People are trapped in elevators, subway, St. Luke's hospital, Lincoln Ctr & Rockefeller Ctr is affected and b'way shows are canceled. It affects midtown from 6th Ave to the entire UWS. But power is slowly being restored. They're targeting 10 PM
CNN is reporting this as the results of a "manhole fire". They have not mentioned the words "exploded" and "Explosions". Maybe I missed it?

CNN also has not mentioned "two" electrical problems.

Interesting.

Glad I'm a country gal. City people have a difficult time with power failures. I pity those people trapped in elevators.

Old Yesterday, 06:54 PM

19,603 posts, read 34,688,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
My condo building is affected. I'm visiting my mom in Queens and was ready to head out. I think I'm going to stay put. Apparently, an electrical manhole exploded on 49st St on 6th and another incident of a transfomer exploding on 64th street on the west end that caused the outage. People are trapped in elevators, subway and St. Luke's hospital, Lincoln Ctr & Rockefeller Ctr is affected and B'way shows are canceled. It affects midtown from 6th Ave to the entire UWS. But power is slowly being restored. They're targeting 10 PM
I got stuck in the elevator in my building where I work for 90 mins man. At the end of the day at that. This actually was like a few months ago. Smh, it was like me and 7 other ppl. Smh. Cramped. We all had on winter coats in that hot ass elevator. FDNY got us out, they are real goons. Smh. I can only imagine in a blackout. Smmfh.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old Yesterday, 07:02 PM

Quote:
I got stuck in the elevator in my building where I work for 90 mins man. At the end of the day at that. This actually was like a few months ago. Smh, it was like and 7 other ppl. Smh. Cramped. FDNY got us out, they are real goons. Smh. I can only imagine in a blackout. Smmfh.
No way! That is my worst nightmare. Next to being stuck on the subway train. Did you see twitter/instagram. People walking around the subway platform trying to get out in complete darkness. Jeesh. I'd be a basket case. It is now getting dark. I'm so lucky I'm at my mom's apt. Now, they're saying 10:30 power will be fully restored. Let's see...

Old Yesterday, 07:04 PM

1,867 posts, read 541,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Quote 5 mins ago from a guy on Fox News

"This is a different city than it was in 1977 so I don't expect to hear about looting or anything like that because people in 2019 are better behaved"

There is some truth to that, 1977 was the peak of the arson in NYC.

Old Yesterday, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
CNN is reporting this as the results of a "manhole fire". They have not mentioned the words "exploded" and "Explosions". Maybe I missed it?

CNN also has not mentioned "two" electrical problems.

Interesting.

Glad I'm a country gal. City people have a difficult time with power failures. I pity those people trapped in elevators.
I was listening to CNN talking to some assembly member and those were his words (a fire causing the explosions). They don't suspect foul play.

Old Yesterday, 07:07 PM

1,867 posts, read 541,419 times
I almost always take the stairs so I guess there are times when it really pays off
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City