U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:58 PM

2,132 posts, read 989,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
relax it saturday night its not the whole city!!
You relax. I'm concerned because my apt is affected and although I'm lucky to be hanging out at my mom's place...I'd like to get home. When they said power would be restored at 10 I was hoping I could head out tonight but since they're now saying midnight. I think not...

And the outage is spreading further south to 14th street now with 90k without power...

Last edited by Aeran; Yesterday at 08:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:09 PM

1,602 posts, read 958,734 times
Power is being restored to Times Square, sounds like situation is being restored.

Old Yesterday, 08:09 PM

3,789 posts, read 1,378,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirlMastic Beach View Post
Is that right?
Yup, 42nd anniversary of the 1977 Blackout

The blackout that hit New York on this day, July 13, in 1977 was to many a metaphor for the gloom that had already settled on the city. An economic decline, coupled with rising crime rates and the panic-provoking (and paranoia-inducing) Son of Sam murders, had combined to make the late 1970s New York’s Dark Ages.

Old Yesterday, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
Gov was just on the line with ABC7, stated no timeline for restoring power ...could be a sign this will last considerable longer than midnight?
Aw..nuts...

Listening to Cuomo on CNN now and there's no timeline for restoration. Other transformers are now malfunctioning so the outage is spreading. MSG affected with more people losing power...

Old Yesterday, 08:14 PM

11,301 posts, read 21,760,664 times
I’d like to know more about the ordinary citizens who step up and start directing traffic in all this chaos. Are these just regular joes and Jills or are they people with background in law enforcement or military? Inquiring minds want to know!!

Old Yesterday, 08:19 PM

540 posts, read 158,678 times
Quote:
Power is being restored to Times Square, sounds like situation is being restored.
yes it been restored https://www.earthcam.com/cams/newyor.../?cam=tsstreet

Old Yesterday, 08:19 PM

Quote:
You're right! Parts of the UWS, Hell's Kitchen, Times Sq have power now. Con Ed is saying all will be restored midnight!

Old Yesterday, 08:34 PM

2,206 posts, read 1,733,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I’d like to know more about the ordinary citizens who step up and start directing traffic in all this chaos. Are these just regular joes and Jills or are they people with background in law enforcement or military? Inquiring minds want to know!!

Joes and Jills, likely. I hope everyone stays with a cool head and doesn't give them too much grief.

Old Yesterday, 08:35 PM

2,206 posts, read 1,733,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Yup, 42nd anniversary of the 1977 Blackout

The blackout that hit New York on this day, July 13, in 1977 was to many a metaphor for the gloom that had already settled on the city. An economic decline, coupled with rising crime rates and the panic-provoking (and paranoia-inducing) Son of Sam murders, had combined to make the late 1970s New York’s Dark Ages.

So, what's the metaphor for this one? And the one in 2003?

Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM

9,668 posts, read 4,560,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Nope. For real. But they're not suspecting foul play. Just a coincidence.

Would they tell us if it was?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City