U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 02:35 PM

697 posts, read 237,742 times

Advertisements

I take full responsibility for the blackout of 1977, my mother warned me, and as soon a I put my foot on the peddle of the sewing machine, out went the lights!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019, 02:45 PM

2,142 posts, read 994,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
and where was De Blasio during all this?

Well, seems like Cuomo's taking full advantage throwing shade on 1010 wins.
Btw, my bldg wasn't affected at all although it's smack dab in the middle of the grid that was affected by the power outage. I came home thinking I had to update all my electrical appliances and devices only to find everything's ok. No blinking lights demanding my attention. I'm not complaining mind you. Just ...confused.
I don't think my bldg has a built in generator. We had no power during the last outage...
Anyway, I'm glad I hung out at my mom's place because the subways were all facing delays so...I"m glad I decided to stay put until everything settles down.

Last edited by Aeran; 07-14-2019 at 02:57 PM..

Old 07-14-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
#fax

Too many transplant crybabies. Growing up in Far Rock in the 1980s we had them once a year! Every summer! One time me and my mother was in Dans Supreme supermarket! Have any of you ever been in a supermarket in the hood during a blackout? LoL

We just had one on my neighborhood a few years ago due to a blew transformer. It was for a few hours. My heart only goes out to those who were stuck in elevators, thats the worst

FDNY are goons. I'm just shouting out FDNY because thats typically who responds to stuck elevators.
lol. sounds like Puerto Rico with their rolling blackouts. Dan's Supreme! I almost forgot about that supermarket. Are they still around? Anyway, no...being stuck in the supermarket during a blackout in the hood is not my idea of fun. Hope nothing happened.

Old 07-14-2019, 02:54 PM

19,612 posts, read 34,719,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
lol. sounds like Puerto Rico with their rolling blackouts. Dan's Supreme! I almost forgot about that supermarket. Are they still around? Anyway, no...being stuck in the supermarket during a blackout in the hood is not my idea of fun. Hope nothing happened.
I'll never forget - a girl I had a lil crush on at the time was in the supermarket. My mother hustled me and herself out of there, and I was thinkin, I hope my crush is ok! LoL. Cause she was by herself.

Dans Supreme aint around no more, thats super old school.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-14-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I'll never forget - a girl I had a lil crush on at the time was in the supermarket. My mother hustled me and herself out of there, and I was thinkin, I hope my crush is ok! LoL. Cause she was by herself.

Dans Supreme aint around no more, thats super old school.
Yeah. A blast from the past. You mentioning that brought me back to grade school. lol

And kudos to your mom. She had you and herself to protect. I would've done the exact same thing if I were her. But too bad about your crush! Being a girl and all by yourself during a blackout in the supermarket in the hood! Um...no... I hope you've seen her since...

Old 07-14-2019, 04:08 PM

9,700 posts, read 4,569,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyrical View Post
According to Wikipedia, on this scale or larger 2 since 1977 both due to storms. Hence my reasoning that you need to take 1 out of 365 x1000 at least. There could have been more, who knows...I just took 2 seconds to do a search to check. Really, I'm just saying i'd be really surprised it was a coincidence. I suck at math and don't know much about stats, it is just suspect it happened on the same day.

Oh, I thought you were saying the odds were 1000x lower. I'm just saying there are 365 days in a year (excluding leap years) so the odds of any particular outage occurring on any particular day is 1 in 365.

Old 07-14-2019, 04:10 PM

9,700 posts, read 4,569,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Outages are more likely to happen in July and August anyway, because of high electicity usage, which would put the odds at more like 1 in 62 imo.

I think there are probably more outages in NY in the winter due to ice on lines.

Old 07-14-2019, 04:18 PM

71,714 posts, read 71,829,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I think there are probably more outages in NY in the winter due to ice on lines.
Nyc has underground feeders .....ice is not an issue

Old 07-14-2019, 04:32 PM

20,786 posts, read 13,790,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Nyc has underground feeders .....ice is not an issue
Talk what you know....

In case you've forgotten city is more than just Manhattan. Out on SI and in the other outer boroughs power does go out during winter thanks to ice, snow and other storms.

Old 07-14-2019, 04:42 PM

71,714 posts, read 71,829,507 times
Ice on lines is a very very tiny failure point over all for con Ed.. most of the distribution network is under ground in nyc and the boroughs .about 3x as many miles of cable is under ground in total .however most of the miles of above ground cable services westchester ......for the most part ice is likely one of the smallest reasons for an outage since the bulk of their service is under ground ..they have 96,000 miles of underground cabling.

Will you have areas with exposed overhead wires fail from ice ? Sure ...but in comparison to the distribution network it is very very few..

Storms would be a whole other discussion then just ice on the lines ....wind and water can create all kinds of havoc on both overhead and underground.

Snow and the road salt is killer for the underground system ...it eats the insulation and causes cable and transformer issues

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-14-2019 at 05:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City