Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 08:48 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times

Advertisements

She is incompetent, regardless discrimination will be hard to prove unless it happens to multiple tenants of the same ethnicity and you all corroborate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019, 11:24 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Right now a s a society n we live in an heightened period of awareness due to the social political cultural climate thanks to trump and the sjws. I understand that folks like to blame racsom first and for most or sexism for not getting what they want or desired outcome. Being the victim of racsim and sexism brings rewards, especially due to our current climate. As for the renter being racist. You better have some clear proof, also becareful with your actions as well. People accused of racsim and sexism have a right to counter sue for defamation of character. If you feel you have been descrimanted for an apartment. Seek help and counsel right away and file a complaint.

Old 07-14-2019, 11:34 AM

80 posts, read 116,010 times
If you’re not pulling the race card you’re definitely acting like a diva.

Old 07-14-2019, 11:37 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,838,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva26 View Post
I am only thinking it was discrimination b/c she did not share my application with her boss who would have then forwarded it to the owner/landlord. I also did a bit of research on my own and found the owners real estate company. I called them and the secretary said she did not receive my application with the others. I did not divulge much to her but thanked her for letting me know.

You have no case of discrimination simply because your application was not forwarded. Maybe they just didn't like you or thought you were a bit pushy with all the phone calls, texts and emails.

Old 07-14-2019, 11:43 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
I was told by one agent that apartments in NYC are to be rented on a first come, first served process
No such law in NYC, thank god - although I think they will try at some point.

The landlord will pick the best qualified tenant based on ability to pay (salary, job security/tenure, assets) and credit history. And they will be VERY strict about it, especially now because the new rent law says you can't check court records to see if an applicant has a history of being a deadbeat or nuisance

Old 07-14-2019, 11:59 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Quote:
Help!

Can a NYC realtor or broker explain the process of renting an apt to me? I'm just asking as I had an issue.

What landlord makes a decision based only on finances and not credit in 2019? I had doubts from the start but didn't think she was that much of an idiot to confess to not running a credit check. I was tempted to just let this slide but I want to stop this woman from rejecting other well-qualified applicants from her units based solely on race.

Don't waste your time.
It's a He said She said.
You'll be black balled in invisible ink.
Move on ....you'll land the right place.............

Old 07-14-2019, 12:07 PM

494 posts, read 557,866 times
If it will make you feel better maybe just file a complaint due to misrepresentation. You mentioned you have email proof said it was first come first serve and that she sent your application to the management company, and you also have proof from an email that the management never received your application. So send that and be done with it. You lost the apt, no way to get it now so just find another agent.

Old 07-14-2019, 12:17 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
You conveniently left out what his Star rating is on Airbnb. Perhaps he is a crappy renter. Perhaps you got half a story.
You don’t have the full story either so why attack someone and call them a liar?

Searching for a new home in any case is difficult. You could at least have empathy for that, regardless of whether discrimination occurred

Old 07-14-2019, 12:20 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Don't waste your time.
It's a He said She said.
You'll be black balled in invisible ink.
Move on ....you'll land the right place.............
It’s her situation and if she feels like filing a formal complaint then it’s the right thing for her to do. You’re an old white man who never had to deal with this issue and who won’t, so you might check your bias on that

Old 07-14-2019, 12:22 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,238,344 times
I may have missed it, but how do you know there werent 50 applicants who applied before you did?

If they didnt run your credit, maybe they already had enough applicants to chose from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: