U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-14-2019, 01:12 PM
 
6,234 posts, read 6,385,177 times
Reputation: 2866

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva26 View Post
Help!

Can a NYC realtor or broker explain the process of renting an apt to me? I was told by one agent that apartments in NYC are to be rented on a first come, first served process. Meaning, if an applicant submits all of their paperwork before other prospective tenants, their application must be considered first. I'm just asking as I had an issue.

I went to an open house last Sat and texted the showing agent for an application that evening. She did not reply (first red flag) so I sent a reminder text on Sun am. She replied saying she was sending it and I received it shortly thereafter. I submitted all of the requested docs within 3 hrs of receipt. On Monday I get an email from her boss asking me to contact the agent to view the apt. He was obviously unaware that I had not only viewed the apt, but had also submitted an app and I advised him as such (second red flag).

I called the agent on Tues inquiring as to the status as I know apts in NYC are rented within a day of applying in many cases. She said the landlord was reviewing my application, among others, but she should have an answer by that evening or Wed am. Of course, those days come/pass so I sent another email on Thurs as I had not heard back from her. This time she says the landlord went with another applicant as there was a lot of interest. I sent her a final email asking what was the reasoning as we made more than the required 40x rent, had a glowing letter from our current landlord, have good credit and was among the first to submit an application. She responded that there was just a lot of interest and the decision was based on "financials". She then writes "don't worry we didn't run your credit so it should be fine when applying to your next apt" This was the doozy and third red flag.

What landlord makes a decision based only on finances and not credit in 2019? I had doubts from the start but didn't think she was that much of an idiot to confess to not running a credit check. I was tempted to just let this slide but I want to stop this woman from rejecting other well-qualified applicants from her units based solely on race.

If I'm wrong then I'm open to feedback. But if not, what is our recourse besides filing a complaint with the Fair Housing Board?
Landlord literally look at people, and judge them by appearance. It happens unfortunately. They can look at the name/ID picture.

And even if they are not looking for who to reject, they do this when looking for people to accept. They have to have certain sounding names, come from certain city, etc, etc, work for certain company.

Its illegal, but difficult to enforce, so it happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-14-2019, 01:17 PM
 
24,244 posts, read 17,632,085 times
Reputation: 9170
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
No one has said anything about her not being able to sue, but rather spoke of the burden of proving the case.
So let her file and as others have said expect a countersuit for defamation if she can't prove her case.
If she files a discrimination case and they donít find sufficient evidence, thatís not grounds for a countersuit. So now you try to scare her into silence by making up things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2019, 01:18 PM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
1,616 posts, read 1,641,865 times
Reputation: 1958
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Yes, because white men donít want to acknowledge other white men guilty of wrong doing. Lawsuits cost a lot in the way of time and labor and there has to Be reasonable evidence before a lawyer is going to take a case. The lawyer has to believe that they can win the case.

Of course, racists donít want people to be able to sue, just as misogynists donít want women to be able to file claims when they are raped.

Now that was racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2019, 01:19 PM
 
24,244 posts, read 17,632,085 times
Reputation: 9170
The only recourse the OP has besides filing a complaint is speaking to lawyers who handle these cases. They will inform you on whether or not you can proceed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2019, 01:24 PM
 
5,484 posts, read 6,912,030 times
Reputation: 4292
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
If she files a discrimination case and they donít find sufficient evidence, thatís not grounds for a countersuit. So now you try to scare her into silence by making up things.
If she has the proof, she should go for it. Her post doesn't show it, so for her sake I hope she has more definitive proof than just having a "diva" moment on not getting the apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2019, 01:26 PM
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
8,733 posts, read 7,119,382 times
Reputation: 8232
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Yes, because white men donít want to acknowledge other white men guilty of wrong doing. Lawsuits cost a lot in the way of time and labor and there has to Be reasonable evidence before a lawyer is going to take a case. The lawyer has to believe that they can win the case.

Of course, racists donít want people to be able to sue, just as misogynists donít want women to be able to file claims when they are raped.
Who are you accusing of being racist or misogynist?
__________________
"No Copyrighted Material"

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2019, 01:59 PM
 
5,253 posts, read 5,183,141 times
Reputation: 6257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva26 View Post
Help!

Can a NYC realtor or broker explain the process of renting an apt to me? I was told by one agent that apartments in NYC are to be rented on a first come, first served process. Meaning, if an applicant submits all of their paperwork before other prospective tenants, their application must be considered first. I'm just asking as I had an issue.

I went to an open house last Sat and texted the showing agent for an application that evening. She did not reply (first red flag) so I sent a reminder text on Sun am. She replied saying she was sending it and I received it shortly thereafter. I submitted all of the requested docs within 3 hrs of receipt. On Monday I get an email from her boss asking me to contact the agent to view the apt. He was obviously unaware that I had not only viewed the apt, but had also submitted an app and I advised him as such (second red flag).

I called the agent on Tues inquiring as to the status as I know apts in NYC are rented within a day of applying in many cases. She said the landlord was reviewing my application, among others, but she should have an answer by that evening or Wed am. Of course, those days come/pass so I sent another email on Thurs as I had not heard back from her. This time she says the landlord went with another applicant as there was a lot of interest. I sent her a final email asking what was the reasoning as we made more than the required 40x rent, had a glowing letter from our current landlord, have good credit and was among the first to submit an application. She responded that there was just a lot of interest and the decision was based on "financials". She then writes "don't worry we didn't run your credit so it should be fine when applying to your next apt" This was the doozy and third red flag.

What landlord makes a decision based only on finances and not credit in 2019? I had doubts from the start but didn't think she was that much of an idiot to confess to not running a credit check. I was tempted to just let this slide but I want to stop this woman from rejecting other well-qualified applicants from her units based solely on race.

If I'm wrong then I'm open to feedback. But if not, what is our recourse besides filing a complaint with the Fair Housing Board?

"First come, first serve" basis is not a thing in real estate. Or jobs. Maybe they already had an applicant who had great credit and finances and just decided to go with that person. Maybe the woman you were dealing with gave the apartment to her friend.

The first part of your story makes me think the woman you were dealing with is a flake. Unfortunately, I have dealt with morons like this even when trying to view properties as a potential buyer who is pre-approved and putting down a substantial down payment. I have dealt with morons like this every single time I try to do ANYTHING.

We don't know if you're wrong. If you really believe in your heart that someone discriminated based on race, you are more than free to submit a complaint. Based on what you've stated here though, no one can tell whether or not you actually were discriminated against because of race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2019, 02:15 PM
 
3,530 posts, read 3,368,895 times
Reputation: 2574
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
"First come, first serve" basis is not a thing in real estate. Or jobs. Maybe they already had an applicant who had great credit and finances and just decided to go with that person. Maybe the woman you were dealing with gave the apartment to her friend.

The first part of your story makes me think the woman you were dealing with is a flake. Unfortunately, I have dealt with morons like this even when trying to view properties as a potential buyer who is pre-approved and putting down a substantial down payment. I have dealt with morons like this every single time I try to do ANYTHING.

We don't know if you're wrong. If you really believe in your heart that someone discriminated based on race, you are more than free to submit a complaint. Based on what you've stated here though, no one can tell whether or not you actually were discriminated against because of race.



any business that involves black and white and doesn't work out well to the black party has the benefit of doubt as racism by default...and a lot of people will buy this as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2019, 02:31 PM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
1,616 posts, read 1,641,865 times
Reputation: 1958
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
any business that involves black and white and doesn't work out well to the black party has the benefit of doubt as racism by default...and a lot of people will buy this as well.


Smfh!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2019, 02:39 PM
 
Location: New York City
8,277 posts, read 6,298,750 times
Reputation: 6075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Who are you accusing of being racist or misogynist?
Every guy who's white
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top