U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-14-2019, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn
2,316 posts, read 2,842,217 times
Reputation: 1417

Advertisements

Im a real estate agent here in NYC for many years (only Manhattan though). Some landlords/management companies DO go on a first come first serve basis while others collect multiple applications.

For the ones that do go on a first come first serve basis the app fee/credit check generally wont be pulled even if the app fee is paid and they never got the chance to view your app it will be refunded.



However for the ones that do take multiple apps this can also vary. I know one management company that is willing to take up to 10-15 apps (they collect app fees this way) and go by the best financials and credit, not one or the other. I know others that if financials are strong but credit is not then no chance will get approved. Others will generally take the "best" 2 and see who they deem best and sometimes instruct the agent to let both parties know and a bidding war can take place.


So there isnt a definitive answer that applies for ALL OF NYC RENTALS.

What i can do is if you're comfortable enough you can private message me either the apt address and/or the management company and if i know how they process apps i will tell you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-14-2019, 02:57 PM
 
24,267 posts, read 17,706,256 times
Reputation: 9180
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
"First come, first serve" basis is not a thing in real estate. Or jobs. Maybe they already had an applicant who had great credit and finances and just decided to go with that person. Maybe the woman you were dealing with gave the apartment to her friend.

The first part of your story makes me think the woman you were dealing with is a flake. Unfortunately, I have dealt with morons like this even when trying to view properties as a potential buyer who is pre-approved and putting down a substantial down payment. I have dealt with morons like this every single time I try to do ANYTHING.

We don't know if you're wrong. If you really believe in your heart that someone discriminated based on race, you are more than free to submit a complaint. Based on what you've stated here though, no one can tell whether or not you actually were discriminated against because of race.
Itís not really our job to make the final decision.

Itís up to the agency who takes the claim and has the resources to investigate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2019, 02:59 PM
 
Location: Confines of the 101 Precinct
19,718 posts, read 34,834,302 times
Reputation: 8479
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
Im a real estate agent here in NYC for many years (only Manhattan though). Some landlords/management companies DO go on a first come first serve basis while others collect multiple applications.

For the ones that do go on a first come first serve basis the app fee/credit check generally wont be pulled even if the app fee is paid and they never got the chance to view your app it will be refunded.



However for the ones that do take multiple apps this can also vary. I know one management company that is willing to take up to 10-15 apps (they collect app fees this way) and go by the best financials and credit, not one or the other. I know others that if financials are strong but credit is not then no chance will get approved. Others will generally take the "best" 2 and see who they deem best and sometimes instruct the agent to let both parties know and a bidding war can take place.


So there isnt a definitive answer that applies for ALL OF NYC RENTALS.

What i can do is if you're comfortable enough you can private message me either the apt address and/or the management company and if i know how they process apps i will tell you.
Professional, many years

I gave Reps.
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2019, 04:36 PM
 
Location: NYer trying to move South
28 posts, read 20,917 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
If someone says something bad happened to them, whether itís discrimination or whether itís sexual assault the least people could do is give them the benefit of the doubt. People donít make these accusations lightly. These are huge problems throughout the society. Iím glad the OP spoke up. The fact some here tried to dismiss you means you need to file the complaint. Otherwise it will get swept under the rug.
Thank you for this. I don't have any intentions of suing but just wanted to know if there was anything more I could do besides filing a complaint. So many of these instances do get swept under the rug and I'm at the point in my life where I'm just sick and tired of this happening without consequence. I do still have hope that I will find an apt I love and hopefully before my lease ends
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2019, 07:07 PM
 
1,037 posts, read 508,796 times
Reputation: 873
I have never heard of the first come first rented rule. Maybe you weren't a good fit. I have known of a landlord to rent to a less qualified (but still qualified based on their tenant requirements) tenant because the more qualified tenant seemed high strung and gave them the vibe they were going to be overly fussy and demanding as a tenant. Not everything is race related.

I have had people tell me I am treating them a particular way because they are black. Happened alot when I worked for an airline. As if it comes so naturally to blame every woe on discrimination. I am dark skin black myslef.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2019, 07:10 PM
 
1,076 posts, read 325,661 times
Reputation: 2316
Honestly, the landlord probably had an applicant with a personal connection. Perhaps another tenant recommended a possible tenant. Sometimes a friend's relative is interested in this apartment. The apartment was probably already rented before you got there.

Frankly, filing a complaint seems like overkill when you don't know the full story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2019, 09:09 PM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
1,622 posts, read 1,656,131 times
Reputation: 1968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva26 View Post
Thank you for this. I don't have any intentions of suing but just wanted to know if there was anything more I could do besides filing a complaint. So many of these instances do get swept under the rug and I'm at the point in my life where I'm just sick and tired of this happening without consequence. I do still have hope that I will find an apt I love and hopefully before my lease ends
Complaint??? For what. Without proof of your so called..."complaint", expect the owner of the property to sue you for liable, slander and defamation of character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2019, 09:38 PM
 
24,267 posts, read 17,706,256 times
Reputation: 9180
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
Complaint??? For what. Without proof of your so called..."complaint", expect the owner of the property to sue you for liable, slander and defamation of character.
If there is no proof of discrimination, the complaint simply be dismissed. A lawsuit would potentially put the matter in the news, be bad publicity and unless the OP is a multimillionaire the landlords legal fees would be much more than they collect from her in a lawsuit.

There is absolutely no chance she gets sued for making a complaint. People make complaints all the time in NYC, itís as simple as calling 311.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2019, 04:32 AM
 
Location: New York, NY
8,203 posts, read 3,547,347 times
Reputation: 3365
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
I have never heard of the first come first rented rule. Maybe you weren't a good fit. I have known of a landlord to rent to a less qualified (but still qualified based on their tenant requirements) tenant because the more qualified tenant seemed high strung and gave them the vibe they were going to be overly fussy and demanding as a tenant. Not everything is race related.

I have had people tell me I am treating them a particular way because they are black. Happened alot when I worked for an airline. As if it comes so naturally to blame every woe on discrimination. I am dark skin black myslef.
Doesn't mean that colorism doesn't happen. It's alive and well. Racism and colorism exists and all we have now is people saying emphatically that they aren't this or that even if they have their own prejudices. Lots of people are phony and try to hide their true feelings so this is where we are now. Lots of people wondering... Was I discriminated against? My Dominican girlfriend and I would have this discussion about how we were treated when going certain places. She is a woman of color. Successful, but well aware of discrimination, even from other people of color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2019, 06:16 AM
 
5,280 posts, read 5,207,967 times
Reputation: 6270
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Itís not really our job to make the final decision.

Itís up to the agency who takes the claim and has the resources to investigate.

I was responding to HER question, which was me basically saying no one here can answer that question if that, for some reason, couldn't be ascertained.

People really do not know how to read and/or follow along here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top