U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 11:22 AM

1,082 posts, read 537,510 times

Advertisements

'"expect the owner of the property to sue you for liable, slander and defamation of character"

Hoo boy, Internet lawyering at its finest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 11:40 AM

1,622 posts, read 1,656,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
'"expect the owner of the property to sue you for liable, slander and defamation of character"

Hoo boy, Internet lawyering at its finest.

Never claimed I was a lawyer. Just a NY landlord who absolutely sue a tenant who filed a false complaint.

Old 07-15-2019, 01:47 PM

197 posts, read 42,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Every guy who's white
It's getting tired.

I'm almost glad that everyone is collectively throwing around race cards at such an unprecedented level these past couple of years. Get it all out like a last baby tantrum before the whole world finally shrugs its shoulders and yawns at this constant racial bull****.

Then maybe we can get somewhere.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:30 PM

108 posts, read 23,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva26 View Post
Help!

Can a NYC realtor or broker explain the process of renting an apt to me? I was told by one agent that apartments in NYC are to be rented on a first come, first served process. Meaning, if an applicant submits all of their paperwork before other prospective tenants, their application must be considered first. I'm just asking as I had an issue.

I went to an open house last Sat and texted the showing agent for an application that evening. She did not reply (first red flag) so I sent a reminder text on Sun am. She replied saying she was sending it and I received it shortly thereafter. I submitted all of the requested docs within 3 hrs of receipt. On Monday I get an email from her boss asking me to contact the agent to view the apt. He was obviously unaware that I had not only viewed the apt, but had also submitted an app and I advised him as such (second red flag).

I called the agent on Tues inquiring as to the status as I know apts in NYC are rented within a day of applying in many cases. She said the landlord was reviewing my application, among others, but she should have an answer by that evening or Wed am. Of course, those days come/pass so I sent another email on Thurs as I had not heard back from her. This time she says the landlord went with another applicant as there was a lot of interest. I sent her a final email asking what was the reasoning as we made more than the required 40x rent, had a glowing letter from our current landlord, have good credit and was among the first to submit an application. She responded that there was just a lot of interest and the decision was based on "financials". She then writes "don't worry we didn't run your credit so it should be fine when applying to your next apt" This was the doozy and third red flag.

What landlord makes a decision based only on finances and not credit in 2019? I had doubts from the start but didn't think she was that much of an idiot to confess to not running a credit check. I was tempted to just let this slide but I want to stop this woman from rejecting other well-qualified applicants from her units based solely on race.

If I'm wrong then I'm open to feedback. But if not, what is our recourse besides filing a complaint with the Fair Housing Board?
It's a common occurrence throughout NYC for private landlords to discriminate based on racial factors. The only way around this is to rent an apartment in a building that is managed by a private company. Buildings that are operated by management companies are more likely to judge you strictly based on your income and credit score, therefore, the approval process is much more streamlined. Also, the best part is, you don't pay any broker's fees...

Old 07-16-2019, 07:30 AM

21,002 posts, read 13,913,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelyn2019 View Post
It's a common occurrence throughout NYC for private landlords to discriminate based on racial factors. The only way around this is to rent an apartment in a building that is managed by a private company. Buildings that are operated by management companies are more likely to judge you strictly based on your income and credit score, therefore, the approval process is much more streamlined. Also, the best part is, you don't pay any broker's fees...
Am sorry, but no, that is just not true across the board.

If you don't think a managing agent, broker or whoever gives "big landlords" or private companies the 411 on prospective tenants, then I've a bridge for sale.

They do and have done it for years. Little things like writing codes on the application for "black", "gay", "trans", Latino or whatever else.

In fact because the whole process is often very impersonal with large buildings, it is easier for them to discriminate. If someone has never laid eyes on you, how can it be said they made a call based upon race?

There are still a good number of large apartment buildings in Manhattan that are basically all white. Now how does that happen?

Old 07-16-2019, 08:51 PM

108 posts, read 23,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Am sorry, but no, that is just not true across the board.

If you don't think a managing agent, broker or whoever gives "big landlords" or private companies the 411 on prospective tenants, then I've a bridge for sale.

They do and have done it for years. Little things like writing codes on the application for "black", "gay", "trans", Latino or whatever else.

In fact because the whole process is often very impersonal with large buildings, it is easier for them to discriminate. If someone has never laid eyes on you, how can it be said they made a call based upon race?

How is it easier for large buildings operated by management companies to discriminate? Those buildings often require prospective tenants to submit applications and credit/income docs online, not in person.
Quote:
There are still a good number of large apartment buildings in Manhattan that are basically all white. Now how does that happen?
The buildings are all white, because those are the primary people applying for and getting approved. Given the huge income disparities between whites and other groups in NYC, it's not really surprising.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:48 PM

21,002 posts, read 13,913,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelyn2019 View Post
How is it easier for large buildings operated by management companies to discriminate? Those buildings often require prospective tenants to submit applications and credit/income docs online, not in person.

The buildings are all white, because those are the primary people applying for and getting approved. Given the huge income disparities between whites and other groups in NYC, it's not really surprising.
Common sense.

In any large organization there are one, two or more layers between initial contact and the person or persons who will make final decision.

Housing is no different than employment. In a small business applicants likely will meet with owner or person directly responsible for hiring. A small apartment building is same, you often get to see the LL and or he or she is more involved in the process.

Large residential either act as their own managing agents (and have person or persons on staff who function as "brokers", that is showing apartments, etc...), or they hire that service out to someone else.

Either way because the person or persons who ultimately approve a tenant haven't met or otherwise laid eyes upon them there is room for mischief.

Again just as with employment agencies, or front desk persons who take applications brokers and others have their ways of letting a LL know what time it is; I've already told you one way, various codes were (or still are) attached to an application giving a LL (or employer) a heads up.

Why do you think (again) in many parts of Manhattan there are buildings that are still mostly white? These aren't condos or co-ops either but rentals.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:33 PM

24,267 posts, read 17,706,256 times
Names themselves often, but not always give away race and ethnicity. Also someoneís address can imply race and ethnicity. An applicant named Tyrene Smith from Brownsville is Black. An applicant named Jie Li from Flushing is Chinese. Carlos Bandera from Jackson Heights is Latino.

For something this obvious I donít even know if they need to use codes.

Oh if unrelated men are applying for an apartment together, could be they are gay.

So just in carefully going over the application itís possible to screen people out.

Old 07-16-2019, 11:46 PM

905 posts, read 635,060 times
Quote:
Why do you think (again) in many parts of Manhattan there are buildings that are still mostly white? These aren't condos or co-ops either but rentals.
I do think it's income related, so it's an indirect consequence of probably a disparity that is real, but not necessarily because the agents discriminate. Some of those apts have a high rental fee so someone has to pay it. I do not deny that discrimination is real, it probably is. But for rental apts, if you don't rent the units out, you have a problem so they will take all valuable applications, I suppose.

That's my theory anyway.

Old 07-18-2019, 12:35 AM

16,255 posts, read 18,773,258 times
Quote:
Common sense.

In any large organization there are one, two or more layers between initial contact and the person or persons who will make final decision.

Housing is no different than employment. In a small business applicants likely will meet with owner or person directly responsible for hiring. A small apartment building is same, you often get to see the LL and or he or she is more involved in the process.

Large residential either act as their own managing agents (and have person or persons on staff who function as "brokers", that is showing apartments, etc...), or they hire that service out to someone else.

Either way because the person or persons who ultimately approve a tenant haven't met or otherwise laid eyes upon them there is room for mischief.

Again just as with employment agencies, or front desk persons who take applications brokers and others have their ways of letting a LL know what time it is; I've already told you one way, various codes were (or still are) attached to an application giving a LL (or employer) a heads up.

I knew of a guy who applied for an apartment. Landlord rejected his application due to his stance on Israel via social media. People need to becareful of what they put on social media. This goes double for those on the left who feel they can post anything without having consequences since they feel they are the most victim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or