U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 07:01 AM

27 posts, read 18,689 times

Advertisements

Help!

Can a NYC realtor or broker explain the process of renting an apt to me? I was told by one agent that apartments in NYC are to be rented on a first come, first served process. Meaning, if an applicant submits all of their paperwork before other prospective tenants, their application must be considered first. I'm just asking as I had an issue.

I went to an open house last Sat and texted the showing agent for an application that evening. She did not reply (first red flag) so I sent a reminder text on Sun am. She replied saying she was sending it and I received it shortly thereafter. I submitted all of the requested docs within 3 hrs of receipt. On Monday I get an email from her boss asking me to contact the agent to view the apt. He was obviously unaware that I had not only viewed the apt, but had also submitted an app and I advised him as such (second red flag).

I called the agent on Tues inquiring as to the status as I know apts in NYC are rented within a day of applying in many cases. She said the landlord was reviewing my application, among others, but she should have an answer by that evening or Wed am. Of course, those days come/pass so I sent another email on Thurs as I had not heard back from her. This time she says the landlord went with another applicant as there was a lot of interest. I sent her a final email asking what was the reasoning as we made more than the required 40x rent, had a glowing letter from our current landlord, have good credit and was among the first to submit an application. She responded that there was just a lot of interest and the decision was based on "financials". She then writes "don't worry we didn't run your credit so it should be fine when applying to your next apt" This was the doozy and third red flag.

What landlord makes a decision based only on finances and not credit in 2019? I had doubts from the start but didn't think she was that much of an idiot to confess to not running a credit check. I was tempted to just let this slide but I want to stop this woman from rejecting other well-qualified applicants from her units based solely on race.

If I'm wrong then I'm open to feedback. But if not, what is our recourse besides filing a complaint with the Fair Housing Board?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 07:13 AM

167 posts, read 158,531 times
You can file a complaint but it is possible there were applications before you. She just really seemed lazy, a new agent or she knew you were not the only applicant at the time. An agent wants to push your application because she is paid on a commission only basis so she has no reason to not want you to get an apartment. As for running your credit, that is the last thing they do after they think they have a great application they will accept so it makes sense they didn't run your credit so get your money order back. A landlord if he got multiple applications s/he goes with the one he feels is the best. This isn't like HPD where he will go with the first one to meet the qualifications, even though s/he should. If you make 40x the rent and have great credit and someone else makes 45x the rent with good credit, he might choose the one making more money because he might feel more secure. Or if you have a pet and another applicant doesn't have a pet he might chose the one without pets.

However there are a few landlords that wont accept an applicant based on race and all the brokers know them, that doesn't stop agent from submitting applications to them.

Why do you feel race had a role in you not being accepted? Did she seem off while showing you apartments ?

Can I ask what company does she work for and what management company was accepting/denying your application?

Old Today, 07:18 AM

20,761 posts, read 13,763,409 times
Private/market rate LL's and even those renting out rent regulated units are free to pick and choose. That is no, they do not have to take "first come, first served", but are allowed to pick the strongest applicant. Same as with employment and host of other situations.

For discrimination to enter into things you'd have to prove or give something to go on that a LL or broker specifically denied you housing based upon race or any of the many other federal and local NYC/NYS protected classes.

Good luck with that; because it requires a LL or whoever saying and or doing certain things. Again just as with employment and we all know employers discriminate all the time. People just know how to go about things so a case is hard to prove.

Old Today, 07:23 AM

I am only thinking it was discrimination b/c she did not share my application with her boss who would have then forwarded it to the owner/landlord. I also did a bit of research on my own and found the owners real estate company. I called them and the secretary said she did not receive my application with the others. I did not divulge much to her but thanked her for letting me know.

Old Today, 07:39 AM

8,480 posts, read 20,378,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva26 View Post
Help!

................... I was told by one agent that apartments in NYC are to be rented on a first come, first served process. ...........

Been around a long time. Never heard of any such rule or custom.

Old Today, 07:49 AM

8,709 posts, read 7,102,548 times
Sounds like you dealt with a crappy agent is all. Why the immediate leap to “discrimination”?

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old Today, 07:51 AM

1,429 posts, read 818,066 times
Renting in NYC is hard.

The demand is extremely high.

There will always be someone willing to pay twice as much, and have a better job history.

Even people who already live there are having their leases "renegotiated".

Even if it is racial, 99% of the time the color that counts is green.

Now in other "cities" where the rents are actually feasible, the applications that say "Jayquantray" or "Latrina" or "Quaitracia" do get ...dropped... ...in the round file...

Old Today, 08:12 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,044,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Sounds like you dealt with a crappy agent is all. Why the immediate leap to “discrimination”?
Because that's the latest trend.

Something didn't go the way I wanted/expected/deserved

Must be:
a) Racism
b) Discrimination
c) any other "ism" you choose as long as it makes you feel like a victim

Old Today, 08:38 AM

Let me guess, you have never been a victim of racism/discrimination.

I have been renting in NYC for over 10 years and never had this happen so I'm def not one to jump the gun and pull the "race card". I do however have endless stories where this is commonplace. I have stories for days from friends and family but will give one example. Our male friend who has excellent credit, a Wharton MBA and makes a ton of money as an investment banker, couldn't find someone who would rent their Airbnb in midtown to him even when adding his LinkedIn profile in his request. He was stuck having to rent an apt all the way in Hamilton Heights. But yea, racism is dead in 2019 in a "liberal" city like NY.

Don't always assume that people are looking for a reason when there are real experiences that occur on a daily basis. Rest assured the majority of us tend to swallow our pride and keep it moving. This is a very tough thing to prove which is why I inquired here.

Old Today, 08:41 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,044,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva26 View Post
couldn't find someone who would rent their Airbnb in midtown to him
You conveniently left out what his Star rating is on Airbnb. Perhaps he is a crappy renter. Perhaps you got half a story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or