U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 07:41 AM

65 posts, read 29,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
Anyone who works for the government or receives any government benefits that they didnít pay for (people on welfare) should not be allowed to vote in any election and influence outcomes. The public is held hostage by people who vote to enrich themselves under the guise of bureaucracy and democracy.
cause opportunistic business folks don't do this ... trump and his ilk haven't done this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 05:37 PM

222 posts, read 477,794 times
Sounds like a few people here are bitter over civil service benefits. If you failed some tests or training programs, thats unfortunate. Civil service benefits, salaries, retirements, medical, etc have always been public information. If you out there are unwilling or unable to perform the daily duties of whatever agency you want to pick on, don't hold a grudge with the men and women that go out there and actually do them.

Old 07-16-2019, 06:40 PM

8,277 posts, read 6,301,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnikk View Post
Sounds like a few people here are bitter over civil service benefits. If you failed some tests or training programs, thats unfortunate. Civil service benefits, salaries, retirements, medical, etc have always been public information. If you out there are unwilling or unable to perform the daily duties of whatever agency you want to pick on, don't hold a grudge with the men and women that go out there and actually do them.
You've got the angle all wrong, most people are looking at it like they have to be productive at work or get fired and no free overtime for doing nothing and then you see civil servants working on slow motion compiling overly generous fat pensions where the same private sector worker could do the work of 1-3 civil servants

Old 07-16-2019, 07:03 PM

5,582 posts, read 4,355,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
As I always say take the test. Otherwise stop complaining. I worked nights, weekends, holidays and cancelled days off. I arrested bad people that would do nothing but hurt the residents of NYC. Put myself at risk. Lost half a lung after 9/11. Probably have a lower life expectancy than most people. So now I am enjoying my retirement which I earned every penny with zero apologies!
Also, you got paid for what you might have had to do, and the possibility of getting shot, stuck with a needle, or run over. Your pension is small compensation for that.

Old 07-16-2019, 07:09 PM

2,850 posts, read 3,772,742 times
I'm not going to speak to the moral, social or political views around this issue because 99.999...% of us are going to defend our side of the trenches. I'll just say this: Math is an immutable force, and at the end of the day even with how *seemingly* healthy NYC may be at some point other people's money does in fact run out. Every dollar spent on debt service and pensions for those no longer contributing to the city's workforce is another dollar not being spent on schoolchildren, your subway commute, getting homeless off the street, putting cops on the street, and all of the other things most reasonable people feel are examples of good governance.

That's my take, stay cool everyone...

Old 07-16-2019, 07:14 PM

20,804 posts, read 13,806,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
You've got the angle all wrong, most people are looking at it like they have to be productive at work or get fired and no free overtime for doing nothing and then you see civil servants working on slow motion compiling overly generous fat pensions where the same private sector worker could do the work of 1-3 civil servants
People aren't trying to hear what myself and others are saying....

Those stories of "huge" pensions are outliers and or only apply to a certain percentage of NYS/NYC civil servants. A large majority were hired twenty or more years ago and thus receive their pensions based upon laws *at that time*.

Your average NYC civil servant is what he or she is because that is what the city hires. Do you think the various clerks, administrative assistants, 311 operators and so forth are raking in huge sums in paychecks or pensions? No, they're not, and that is the point.

https://www.empirecenter.org/publica...blic-pensions/

People see FDNY, NYPD and perhaps DSNY and a few other uniformed service members getting "huge" pensions and some how make the (incorrect) leap everyone is stuffing themselves. That just isn't true, and am getting tried of having to repeat myself.

Large parts of the NYC or NYS civil service jobs do not have ability to get large amounts or even any overtime at all. Clerks, office workers, administrative assistants, etc... basically work 9-5 just like everyone else. They might pick up a few hours here or there, but it isn't same. Certain NYCHA employees rack up OT, but those usually are those in the trades and city refuses to hire more. Work has to get done, so city mandates or whatever current staff get OT.

MTA is another place where things are what they are; hire more people and there wouldn't be need for so much OT.

Your average clerical, janitorial or whatever NYS/NYC civil servant isn't making much at all. In fact they probably earn far less then their private sector counterparts. But many also couldn't get hired in private sector, and or have chosen bennies over higher pay.

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/nypd/caree...-benefits.page

compared to:

https://www.indeed.com/salaries/Sani...s,-New-York-NY

Then look here: https://www.careerbliss.com/nycha/sa...enance-worker/

Or look through here: https://www.careerbliss.com/nycha/salaries/all/

Lather rinse and repeat. You'll find a large majority of NYC civil servants don't make bank, nor retire with huge pensions. Again why do you think so many live in NYCHA both while working and after retiring from city or state?

City and state civil servants only get raises as awarded via contract. For some it can be two, three, or more years after a contract expires before a new one is reached. Often wages don't go up much if at all, barely playing catch up with inflation.

Old 07-16-2019, 07:34 PM

134 posts, read 46,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Yup, me, can't wait!

NYS will likely still get the benefit of my spending power after I jack this pension up to around $11,000 monthly before pulling the plug, but NYC definitely won't. I'm blowing this popsicle joint as soon as I can leave. You can have it.
My sentiments, exactly.

Old 07-16-2019, 07:36 PM

3,112 posts, read 1,686,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Also, you got paid for what you might have had to do, and the possibility of getting shot, stuck with a needle, or run over. Your pension is small compensation for that.
TY. I repped you for this. As I was always told you wont become rich becoming a cop but you will always be able to put food on your table!!

Old 07-16-2019, 08:01 PM

5,582 posts, read 4,355,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
TY. I repped you for this. As I was always told you wont become rich becoming a cop but you will always be able to put food on your table!!
Amen, Brother!

Old 07-16-2019, 08:26 PM

37 posts, read 26,977 times
I took three civil service tests and was a temp at a city agency for more than two years, earning my dues and never complaining. Last month, I became permanent based on one of the three tests and have never felt happier. I got off of Medicaid insurance and onto coverage from where I work, get paid holidays/vacation/sick time, and don't deal with much stress. So to say that we cripple the city is wholly inaccurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or