U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 08:41 PM

5,582 posts, read 4,355,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by melisholla View Post
I took three civil service tests and was a temp at a city agency for more than two years, earning my dues and never complaining. Last month, I became permanent based on one of the three tests and have never felt happier. I got off of Medicaid insurance and onto coverage from where I work, get paid holidays/vacation/sick time, and don't deal with much stress. So to say that we cripple the city is wholly inaccurate.
Good for you for bettering yourself through your efforts. I have so much more respect for you than the complainers on CD who won’t put the effort in and instead complain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 09:41 AM

134 posts, read 46,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Good for you for bettering yourself through your efforts. I have so much more respect for you than the complainers on CD who wonít put the effort in and instead complain.
Agreed. "Sour grapes" for those who didn't want or failed at attaining a city job.

Old 07-17-2019, 11:40 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,494,530 times
The city wouldn't exist without "City workers". Sounds like the OP made some bad life choices.

Old 07-17-2019, 12:24 PM

5,582 posts, read 4,355,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMan2k5 View Post
The city wouldn't exist without "City workers". Sounds like the OP made some bad life choices.
A lot of city jobs are dirty, dangerous, and come with odd hours. I get it that some people don’t want to do that. But don’t complain about the perks that come with them if the jobs not right for you.
Every time a cop gets shot I think I hope it’s not Airborneguy

Old 07-17-2019, 12:44 PM

124 posts, read 481,468 times
City workers make this city livable. It's the politicians stealing money and making poor decisions that cripple this city. Also the real estate developers and businesses that get out of paying taxes.

Old 07-17-2019, 12:50 PM

8,745 posts, read 7,122,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
A lot of city jobs are dirty, dangerous, and come with odd hours. I get it that some people donít want to do that. But donít complain about the perks that come with them if the jobs not right for you.
Every time a cop gets shot I think I hope itís not Airborneguy
Thank you. Hopefully my odds are very low now considering where Iíve transferred to but you never know.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-17-2019, 01:05 PM

33 posts, read 9,500 times
My take home pay is significantly less than any private sector person making the same salary due to deductions for my pension and union dues. So much so that I can't even afford to move to another apartment in the neighborhood I've lived in for 25 + years. So hey, f you whoever thinks we aren't entitled to this money when we retire.

Old 07-17-2019, 01:44 PM

693 posts, read 592,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Can you hear yourself?

When you buy a Ford, Mercedes-Benz or any other vehicle made by a union shop, you're paying into people's pensions. Ditto when you fly on a plane, shop for groceries, make a telephone call, watch FIOS, or whatever else that has a union behind it, and or the company offers a pension.

Yeah civil servants get part of their pension funded by "taxes", but they also contribute so come down off your high horse.

Everybody likes to point the finger, but when your house is on fire, you're mugged, your kids need educating, or whatever else you expect someone to answer that call.

Furthermore as with every single other fringe benefit offered to employees, pensions come in lieu of wage increases. Study up on things and you'll find out healthcare and pensions began being offered by employers in part to get around wage caps, especially during WWII period.

State and local governments get themselves into trouble by refusing to give decent wage increases for some civil servants, but turn around and make pension promises. Who's fault is that? Elected officials do this because it kicks the can down the road. By time stuff hits the fan those currently in office will have moved on or up.
When I buy a Ford, Mercedes or McDonald’s I choose what I buy and get what I pay for. The problem with government workers and government services is I don’t choose what I get but I still have to pay for it. I understand how people in Austria or Sweden or Norway love their government services but I can’t say the same for NYC which tends to be awful and many government jobs just exist because of bureaucratic excess, waste, fraud and union lobbying. Of course the quality and demographic of people in Austria or Norway is nothing like NYC and that makes a huge difference which is why the Scandinavian model doesn’t work well in a place like NY or U.S.

Old 07-17-2019, 02:29 PM

20,804 posts, read 13,806,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
When I buy a Ford, Mercedes or McDonaldís I choose what I buy and get what I pay for. The problem with government workers and government services is I donít choose what I get but I still have to pay for it. I understand how people in Austria or Sweden or Norway love their government services but I canít say the same for NYC which tends to be awful and many government jobs just exist because of bureaucratic excess, waste, fraud and union lobbying. Of course the quality and demographic of people in Austria or Norway is nothing like NYC and that makes a huge difference which is why the Scandinavian model doesnít work well in a place like NY or U.S.

New York both state and local levels get the governments people vote in, and that usually means the same cast of characters (or someone like them) get in again and again.

Unions run this state, and have done so for ages. Any time person or persons try to change that status quo, they aren't around very long. Elliot Spitzer is a case in point.

Finally again bottom line is many wouldn't take local government civil servant jobs if it wasn't for the bennies including pensions. Few careers pay anything near what people could get in private sector, and often working conditions are horrible.

City has a very difficult time attracting and keeping all sorts of workers for that very reason. Outside of the uniformed services where everyone and their mother is flocking to these days (FDNY, NYPD, DSNY, Corrections), things can get pretty bleak in terms of applicant pool. This becomes apparent every time you have to deal with a city agency.

People complain about having to go to some busted NYC government office, but imagine having to work in those places for thirty or so years....

Bottom line things are what they are; pensions have been reined in, and again as myself and others keep saying once the last of Boomers retire there will be few if any lower tier employees left to retire on "big money" boosted by OT. Tier Six isn't that great, and if things go on to VII, or VIII probably would get worse.

Old 07-17-2019, 04:10 PM

12,949 posts, read 8,774,824 times
Whether you support pensions or not. Its unsustainable in the long run. The next recession will force concessions. If there's any serious global economic recession and tax revenue takes a huge hit. Or if NYC loses a large chunk of its tax base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or