U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 08:44 PM

201 posts, read 142,805 times

Advertisements

Thing about nyc is the evening and night doesn't really cool down,
at least compared to suburbs and the country.

Day temps between these areas are often close/same,
but nyc stays 10 degrees (or more) warmer during night.

The heat island effect. I can take heat/sweating during day,
but I need cool temps when I sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 02:18 AM

1,173 posts, read 968,278 times
I remember those sweltering, humid saunas that are a New York summer. It's one of the reasons I'm glad I moved to L.A.

I live near the beach in Santa Monica. So far this summer, it's been in the 60s during the day.

Old 07-17-2019, 05:05 AM

32,112 posts, read 33,023,250 times
Saturday is supposed to the be worst with the highest heat index and I plan to stay indoors all day then.

Old 07-17-2019, 05:29 AM

1,609 posts, read 962,873 times
Temps take an interesting dip over on the Jersey City side of the river, at least on the waterfront due to the breeze. We've been keeping windows open in two rooms to create some airflow and the apartment feels fine after being left with the AC off all day. Fortunate that the windows angle outward from a top hinge so light rain isn't an issue. Electric bill is half what it was living in HK and I can step outside without feeling like entering a pea soup of humidity and rotting garbage. That said I still miss living in Manhattan...

Old 07-17-2019, 07:25 AM

181 posts, read 51,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I went outside a few hours ago, its actually breezy and tolerable. When there's no breeze, it's pretty hot with no shade.
aren't you caribbean or jamaican? this should be a walk in a breezy park for you.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:41 AM

8,187 posts, read 3,514,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
aren't you caribbean or jamaican? This should be a walk in a breezy park for you.
lmao...

Old 07-17-2019, 02:38 PM

461 posts, read 514,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
Temps take an interesting dip over on the Jersey City side of the river, at least on the waterfront due to the breeze. We've been keeping windows open in two rooms to create some airflow and the apartment feels fine after being left with the AC off all day. Fortunate that the windows angle outward from a top hinge so light rain isn't an issue. Electric bill is half what it was living in HK and I can step outside without feeling like entering a pea soup of humidity and rotting garbage. That said I still miss living in Manhattan...
Interesting...cooler on the Jersey side. Maybe all of NYC should head over to the Jersey side this weekend!

Tell all those condo development dwellers along the river from JC to Edgewater: NYC's coming to dinner!
(It does seem like they've been expecting hordes of urban zombies to come terrorize their paradise, considering all the NO TRESPASSING signs all along the Hudson River Bikeway.)

Old 07-17-2019, 06:58 PM

19,630 posts, read 34,735,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
aren't you caribbean or jamaican? this should be a walk in a breezy park for you.
Carribbean or Jamaican?

LMAO

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-17-2019, 07:01 PM

19,630 posts, read 34,735,533 times
At this point I've done below zero in NYC with wind chill and over 100° with heat index

At this point, if you lived here for a certain time, you will realize that NYC gets every major weather condition, every natural disaster except volcanoes

I can't complain when I know there were people who rode the NYC Subway back in the 1950s with no AC.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-17-2019, 09:07 PM

3,967 posts, read 1,715,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/16/n...heat-wave.html

When is a heat wave declared?

The designation happens when the temperature reaches at least 90 degrees for three consecutive days. Between 1876 and 2011, there were 263 heat waves in New York City, according to the National Weather Service.

Most of those heat waves lasted three days. One lasted 12 days! New York City’s longest heat wave. It started on Aug. 24, 1953, and ended on Sept. 4. Temperatures reached 100 degrees, and then 102 degrees, before waning. In six of those days, the temperature was 98 degrees or higher.

What are the temperatures going to be this week?

Today’s high temperature will be near 90 degrees, the Weather Service predicted. Tomorrow it may hit a high of 91 degrees. Thursday may be a little cooler, at 85 degrees.

After that, watch out. The temperature really starts to increase: Friday through Sunday, the highs could reach 95 degrees or more.

Upper Manhattan and the Bronx are “particularly heat sensitive,” according to Jaime Madrigano, a policy researcher at the RAND Corporation who was featured in a video by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
Global warming is hitting us hard. We all need to chip in, and give money to Congress and it won't be so hot in a few years. Anyone that has lived in NYC for over 30 years, know it never gets hot like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or