U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 10:40 AM

1,083 posts, read 2,336,791 times

Advertisements

On the train this morning and saw the worst ad made possible by a City agency (yeah go figure). For the life of me I can not fathom a room full of people applauding the creation of these ads. I was finally able to get a pic this morning, for I have been seeing these for weeks now.

I am glad I'm not the only who pointed out how terrible these ads are: You May Never Know Why The City's Anti-Short Term Rental Ads

Please fire this person!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Horrible Subway Ads-subway-ad.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 11:33 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,118,586 times
The ad campaign may be somewhat lame, but I think the message is good. The other day as I was leaving my building I saw four people with confused looks on their faces trying to get in with giant rolling suitcases. I hate the breach of security, possible bedbugs, and unauthorized people coming and going on a daily basis. I think the laws need to be enforced.

Old 07-17-2019, 01:10 PM

1,559 posts, read 1,053,831 times
The subway doesn't put ads from city agencies through the same process as paid ads. Still, it's no Julio & Marisol. That was an ad people looked forward to seeing the next part of the story.

Last edited by 5-all; 07-17-2019 at 01:49 PM..

Old 07-17-2019, 01:56 PM

4,858 posts, read 1,856,441 times
So what is the law or ordinance that you can't rent short-term?

So no legal AirBNBs or VRBO's?

All of New York City, or just designated parts?

Old 07-17-2019, 02:24 PM

168 posts, read 162,852 times
The ads are horrible but they work. People are talking about them.

Old 07-17-2019, 02:43 PM

154 posts, read 34,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
So what is the law or ordinance that you can't rent short-term?

So no legal AirBNBs or VRBO's?

All of New York City, or just designated parts?
If you rent on Air Bnb you must either

A) be there on site with the renter during the stay

or

B) rent for over 30 days.

Old 07-17-2019, 03:07 PM

1,061 posts, read 525,517 times
There are a few exceptions for small multifamily homes, but yep.

Most people renting AirBNBs in Manhattan in particular (because of the lack of individual houses) are breaking the law and making it worse for everyone.

Old Yesterday, 08:19 AM

1,014 posts, read 308,662 times
The other problem is it is nearly impossible to evict a guest from an apartment.

https://www.lawhelp.org/dc/resource/...from-your-home

Frankly, I hate AirBnB in NYC. When my daughter signed her lease, she got a key to the apartment building. A locked apartment building gives her some protection. When an AirBnB hosts giving out her apartment building keys for each nightly rental, I feel makes her less safe. Those guests can make copies of the keys to gain access after their stay.

New Yorkers know their neighbors who belongs and who doesn't belong in a building. I also don't like strangers hanging around her hallways. It's all about security.

Old Yesterday, 10:41 AM

21,506 posts, read 28,411,258 times
I wonder if I could trade my apartment with someone from Paris for 31 days? The issue would likely be with my co-op board rather than with law enforcement.

Old Yesterday, 11:51 AM

2,717 posts, read 2,275,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I wonder if I could trade my apartment with someone from Paris for 31 days? The issue would likely be with my co-op board rather than with law enforcement.
I know someone at work who does this: Leaves to Paris for about a month, while a Parisian stays at his NYC apartment. It works out well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City