Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 03:26 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times

Advertisements

Those taco trucks will continue to grow in presence for many reasons, one is the simple fact illegals are *NOT* prohibited from starting a business in NYC or NYS for that matter.

Yes, it is illegal to *employ* someone who does not have proper papers (a US citizen, or holds a green card), but those laws do not speak to independent contractors, business owners, etc... There are banks who gladly will loan money to illegals for everything from starting a business to buying a house.

Have said this before; go around the City and elsewhere late/over night and you'll see vans/SUVs (often with NJ or PA plates) in front of stores and other businesses unloading floor cleaning/polishing equipment. Those floor cleaning "contractors" have put plenty of NYC residents/businesses doing the same out of work. They do it by same as construction and whatever, by offering cheaper rates than any other legit person would. Soon they've driven everyone else out of business and have things to themselves.

Local RiteAid and nearly every bar I know along Third, Second and First avenues uses these floor polishing guys.

Thus illegals can certainly get funding to buy a taco truck and so forth.

Anyone who thinks am blowing smoke go over to NYC consumers affairs or any other office that issues business licenses and download the forms. You'll not find one single thing requiring person applying to be a US citizen and or hold a valid green card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 04:57 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,237,720 times
Where do the cooks on the truck wash hands/use bathroom?

Old 07-20-2019, 05:23 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,599,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
At a bar I go to, the ladies who run the taco truck use the bathroom there and give the bartenders free tacos in exchange

Old 07-20-2019, 05:26 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
They have some sort of supply of water/hand wash facilities on board IIRC. No different than a mobile home or similar vehicles.

Besides that NYC health code laws require persons preparing food/serving food in such places to wear those disposable plastic gloves. Notice at deli counters and other such places when you order a sandwich or something they prepare/dish it out wearing gloves.

As for bathrooms just as with traffic enforcement agents and others whose jobs keep them on street, those truck drivers find friendly businesses that will let them use their bathrooms. Starbucks, restaurants, bars, department store, etc.....

Some (but by not all means all) residential buildings allow same as mentioned above to use the bathrooms set aside for doormen/building staff.

Am not saying there is always a quid pro quo; but door/building staff can get free food... A parking enforcement agent *might* look the other way at a vehicle illegally parked in front of such a building. Things like a resident who didn't move their ride in time for ASP..

Old 07-20-2019, 06:06 PM

5,813 posts, read 2,943,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Hometown BBQ in Red Hook is also good. I heard Legends changed owners again within the last year and the BBQ has gotten better again, though haven't visited so don't know if it's up to the level where it used to be.

Really? I’ll give legends another try next time I’m in queens. I %remember the glory days of 2007~2013. After that it changed. But before it, it was slamming. All in house stuff. Bar itself was something else. Way old school. Just the way I like it.

Old 07-20-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
They have some sort of supply of water/hand wash facilities on board IIRC. No different than a mobile home or similar vehicles.

Besides that NYC health code laws require persons preparing food/serving food in such places to wear those disposable plastic gloves. Notice at deli counters and other such places when you order a sandwich or something they prepare/dish it out wearing gloves.

As for bathrooms just as with traffic enforcement agents and others whose jobs keep them on street, those truck drivers find friendly businesses that will let them use their bathrooms. Starbucks, restaurants, bars, department store, etc.....

Some (but by not all means all) residential buildings allow same as mentioned above to use the bathrooms set aside for doormen/building staff.

Am not saying there is always a quid pro quo; but door/building staff can get free food... A parking enforcement agent *might* look the other way at a vehicle illegally parked in front of such a building. Things like a resident who didn't move their ride in time for ASP..
Yeah, it seems like a lot of them have casual arrangements with nearby bars and restaurants to use the bathroom perhaps in exchange for a taco or something.

Old 07-21-2019, 07:57 AM

37,135 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Really? I’ll give legends another try next time I’m in queens. I %remember the glory days of 2007~2013. After that it changed. But before it, it was slamming. All in house stuff. Bar itself was something else. Way old school. Just the way I like it.
Yea. I wasn’t / am not a regular, but was occasionally there from 2010 or so on and then remember at one point thinking something’s different and not quite as good. Found myself in the neighborhood visiting someone several months back and feel like it changed again and for the better. Haven’t gone back though, as friend in the neighborhood I would go with is now pescatarian.

Old 07-22-2019, 10:31 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,477,629 times
halal trucks suck. You need a crapload of white sauce and you can't get pork bacon, egg, and cheese.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:15 PM

231 posts, read 113,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMgoody View Post
I doubt it, there’s too many Chipotle’s and Dos Torros around city.

There’s no equivalent of Halal food like Chipotle is to Mexican.
It's not Halal but CAVA is the Mediterranean modern american fast food. It is tops right now for American fast food. I don't eat fast food generally (Fast food is typically nasty American science death food) but Cava has my stamp of approval.

Old 07-30-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
halal trucks suck. You need a crapload of white sauce and you can't get pork bacon, egg, and cheese.
That white sauce is so nasty when they put too much on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: