U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 02:05 PM

239 posts, read 104,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope of Greenwich Village View Post
Lots of recent Russian immigrants in Brighton Beach live in million dollar condos.
There really isnít much in the way of million dollar condos on Brighton Beach with one prominent exception of Oceania. Most of the money is in the neighboring manhattan beach neighborhood.
The immigrants from the former Soviet Union have done very well for themselves on average, starting from getting a good education
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 05:21 PM

580 posts, read 561,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
So am I.

I have a lot of neighbors and coworkers who definitely did not grow up here and are recent immigrants (within 10-15 years) who are purchasing homes in the range you originally specified.

My point is there is a great mix of Russian/Eastern European immigrants and they are still coming and many are coming with money or the means to quickly start making it once here. Your definitive statement is not indicative of the whole.
That's perfectly normal, they're not working at your local supermarket or a dead end office job making 35k a year, are they?

If you want an example of someone coming with money, my friends grandparents sold their home outside of St. Petersburg for 160, came to the states with a green card that they won through lottery, and invested 150k into a coop in Sheepshead Bay 6 years ago. If they had millions I doubt they would come here, infact if your a millionare in Russia, do you think Putin will let you leave the country with all that money? LOL

Every immigrants dream is to own a home, taken from the American dream.

If you are in this country for 15 years, you did not come recently, 5 years ago is recent, still learning the english language is recent. 15 years is more than enough time to get educated, start a career, and start saving money for the future.

Barely any Russians are immigrating these days, especially with the Obama era sanctions. Before the sanctions there was the J1 program, student work visa, mostly youth in their 20's, came here to work for the summer, many ended up skipping on the visa and staying, some married, some still here illegally.

In the RECENT years, aka past 5 years, Sheepshead and Brighton has seen an influx of Uzbeki's. They are very hard working people, most work Uber, some opened up restaurants/cafes and even a great supermarket on the corner of Coney Island Ave and Brighton, they came with ambition and ethics, but none that I've came across immigrated here with riches. One of the first successful ones is the owner of Nargis on Coney Island Ave, he opened a simple hole in the wall 10 years ago, today that same spot takes up 3 store fronts, and he opened a second location in Park Slope.

You should follow the OP, whom I applaud, get out from behind that computer and explore these neighborhoods, find a good cafe to eat/drink and people watch, talk with some locals.

Old Today, 06:34 PM

8,754 posts, read 7,122,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NycLaidBack View Post
You should follow the OP, whom I applaud, get out from behind that computer and explore these neighborhoods, find a good cafe to eat/drink and people watch, talk with some locals.
You keep throwing this jab but youíre missing terribly. Like spinning-around-backwards-because-you-missed-so-hard terribly.

As I type this I am walking my dog within sight of 2 neighbors homes, Russian families both. I can walk to probably 20 more within minutes if I want to visit my step-daughterís Russian/Eastern European classmates.

Be careful when making dumb assumptions like that. They are usually wrong. As for those parts of Brooklyn, I worked there for over 10 years. I still occasionally do (I try not to but it happens). Iím quit familiar with the places you seem to think only you know well here. I certainly wouldnít waste even more time reading about them on the internet.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old Today, 08:07 PM

580 posts, read 561,956 times
You need to understand the demographic of the conversation before trying to prove a point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Aren't many of them recent immigrants from Eastern Europe? What's so "old school" about that?
Which I corrected stating MOST of the immigrants occupying the neighborhood arrived in the 70's and 80's. While mentioning that recent immigrants, arriving as recent as 5 years ago, cannot afford the 600-700k condo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
You've never heard of nouveau riche Eastern Europeans? There is much more wealth in Russia today than there was in the 70s and 80s
Which is when Foamposite mentioned nouveau riche eastern europeans.

The definition of that term is newly rich. Which is when I went into describing their habits, they view NYC as a place to spend their money, not live. The several that I met were in Dominican Republic, during vacation at resorts, and a neighbor permanently living there when I rented a villa. They are classified as newly rich, because they have their own way of life, even their slang is different, old school Europeans sometimes don't understand them. Which is why I mentioned the very wealthy(billionaires), and you thought you caught me moving the poles, you just didn't understand the terminology of the conversation.

You brought your common established neighbors and coworkers into this conversation, when we were mentioning old school and newly rich.

Be careful when making dumb points in a conversation when you don't know whats being discussed.

Old Today, 08:32 PM

8,754 posts, read 7,122,619 times
We have a genius here guys. Everyone stand back! This forum isn’t big enough for two of them (you know who I mean).

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or