U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 06:25 PM

1,916 posts, read 558,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Not really...

Myself, friends, family and countless others from Staten Island past and present refer to Manhattan as the "city".

If someone from SI says they are going "into the city" we know they mean Manhattan.

Ditto if someone says they want a ride to "the city", works in "the city", or whatever else.
SI is the most suburban borough. I do not recall the elders in my family (almost all natives of Brooklyn and Queens), saying "the city" to describe Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 06:27 PM

8,764 posts, read 7,132,217 times
“The City” goes back to when Manhattan was The City and the other boros were their own municipal entities. It is most certainly not a transplant-ism.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-19-2019, 07:13 PM

3,536 posts, read 3,373,073 times
In my experience, it is always italian americans who use that phrase...

another common nickname for manhattan i often heard is "the island" among a lot of asian americans.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:27 PM

2,855 posts, read 3,775,649 times
Referring to Manhattan as "The City" is as old as there being 5 boroughs to NY. My family has been here since they stepped off the boat and any time they go to Manhattan it's "Going to the city". Going to Brooklyn is simply "Going to Brooklyn", same w/ other outer boroughs. The transplants didn't create that one.

Manhattan is and always will be the "Core" borough. Brooklyn sees itself as a world apart from the rest of NY and likes it that way. Harlem and The Bronx are their own identities. Queens really doesn't even exist...it's what neighborhood your in: "Astoria", "Jamaica", "Flushing", "Jackson Heights".

Old 07-19-2019, 09:29 PM

5,595 posts, read 4,360,943 times
Old school NYer here. When we said we were going to the city it meant Manhattan.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:14 PM

240 posts, read 106,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Old school NYer here. When we said we were going to the city it meant Manhattan.
Exactly. Spoke this way in the 90s, 00s and now.

Old 07-20-2019, 04:57 AM

32,135 posts, read 33,044,067 times
I have heard native born NYers saying "going to the city" meaning going into Manhattan. So it isn't a transplant expression.

Old 07-20-2019, 05:37 AM

8,482 posts, read 20,404,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Just a question - why is it that every other transplant says, "I'm going to the city" - meaning when they come into Manhattan from let's say, Brooklyn? As I understand it, "The City" is all five boroughs not just Manhattan.

Someone - who's not even from the US was actually telling me that, "the city" is only Manhattan. I disagree, and I'd never say, "Im leaving the city" when I go to Brooklyn, the Bronx or Queens.
This is not a transplant thing at all. Quite the opposite. In my experience going back to the 70's it is outer borough NYC natives who have used this expression. If transplants are using it these days it is because they picked it up from natives.

Also, maybe they think it makes them sound more authentic to say "going to the city" so they have an incentive to use it.

And technically, "New York City, New York" or NYC,NY or NY,NY is only Manhattan....not any of the other boroughs....... so there is a long history behind Manhattan being referred to as "The City "

Last edited by bluedog2; 07-20-2019 at 05:47 AM..

Old 07-20-2019, 07:22 AM

5,595 posts, read 4,360,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speediestevie View Post
Exactly. Spoke this way in the 90s, 00s and now.
It’s even older than that.

Old 07-20-2019, 07:36 AM

25 posts, read 3,717 times
New Yorkers from outside Manhattan have always called Manhattan 'The City'. The elevated stations on the Culver 'F' Line had these incoming train indicators in the station mezzanines. They would buzz and light up 'TO CITY' for Manhattan bound trains and 'FROM CITY' for Coney Island bound trains. In the 1980s the signage was changed to a more accurate 'To Manhattan' and 'To Coney Island'.

Some real old timers on Staten Island still say 'New York' for Manhattan. An old friend would say 'I have to go to New York today'. The S.I. Ferry paper tickets said 'To N.Y.' for trips to Manhattan until the late 1990s. But today most Staten Islander say 'the city' for Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City