U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 10:15 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,801,172 times

Advertisements

shrug. I say "Ma'ha'an" with the double glottal stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 10:17 AM

9 posts, read 897 times
I've lived in NYC for close to 30 years and have always heard "going into the city" as meaning Manhattan. When I lived in Brooklyn and Queens that's what I meant when I'd say I was heading into the city.

Old 07-22-2019, 10:37 AM

2,723 posts, read 2,287,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I know some people who grew up in Inwood and think that it's the Bronx, not Manhattan. It probably has more in common with the Bronx than most of Manhattan..but it's obviously on Manhattan Island.
Well, I was born in Inwood, and remember being frustrated - even as a young child, when people thought about it as the Bronx

Old 07-22-2019, 10:40 AM

12,003 posts, read 17,532,647 times
I first lived there in 1983 and everyone outside Manhattan said it. My girlfriend at the time was from Queens and always said that.

Threw me for a loop at first. It also reinforces the primacy of Manhattan over the other boroughs, but whatever.

I ever remember one of the local TV stations had ads for their news in all the subway stations that read, "The Bronx is our Newsroom" or "Queens is our Newsroom" depending on where you were. But the ones in Manhattan said, "The City is our Newsroom."

Old 07-22-2019, 12:25 PM

178 posts, read 38,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
shrug. I say "Ma'ha'an" with the double glottal stop.
I've observed so many kids in my family who spoke perfectly normal and said the M word like most of us say it...then, right around the age of 13 or 14 they start listening to hip hop, trying to be down and use that double glottal stop. Ma'Ha'Ahhhhhhn. Sometimes child abuse is excusable.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:37 PM

26 posts, read 5,288 times
Manhattan was always "the city" to us as well.

I went through a moment in high school were I used to pronounce Manhattan as man-hat-ten, actually enunciating the Ts.
Short lived as I decided that was stupid.

Man-Ha-En it is!

Old 07-23-2019, 06:36 AM

21,544 posts, read 28,464,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post

I think there was one in the past couple of months.

Recurrent, like migraines.

When we lived in Jersey City the ususal phrase we used was "going into town."

Old 07-24-2019, 11:26 AM

72 posts, read 31,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Just a question - why is it that every other transplant says, "I'm going to the city" - meaning when they come into Manhattan from let's say, Brooklyn? As I understand it, "The City" is all five boroughs not just Manhattan.

Someone - who's not even from the US was actually telling me that, "the city" is only Manhattan. I disagree, and I'd never say, "Im leaving the city" when I go to Brooklyn, the Bronx or Queens.
Per my aunt who moved to nyc pre-70s the 'city' reference was more of inner-boro/outer-boro thing as well as suburbanites (ie: long islanders, jersey folks). I have been a transplant in the city and honestly never made the distinction of Manhattan as the 'city' usually just reference the borough. I wonder if the transplants you have heard using the term grew up in a suburban setting where a 'city' setting is has a distinctly different connotation - ie: cultured, cosmopolitan, etc.

I am all for Manhattan taking on the nickname of the city ---- if I can no longer have to pay 'city' taxes.

Old Yesterday, 04:31 AM

5,962 posts, read 6,576,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
This is not a transplant thing at all. Quite the opposite. In my experience going back to the 70's it is outer borough NYC natives who have used this expression. If transplants are using it these days it is because they picked it up from natives.

Also, maybe they think it makes them sound more authentic to say "going to the city" so they have an incentive to use it.

And technically, "New York City, New York" or NYC,NY or NY,NY is only Manhattan....not any of the other boroughs....... so there is a long history behind Manhattan being referred to as "The City "
I was under the impression that New York, NY, is official for much of the Bronx. (realizing that western Bronx, unlike the other three outer boroughs and the east part of the Bronx was settled as a part of New York in it ever-northward growth where the Harlem River was not going to slow the city down by having to jump it.

Old Yesterday, 04:50 AM

5,962 posts, read 6,576,308 times
I don't speak angelenoese so I'm not sure what phrasing they use, but I suspect that if your "town" is actually former town in the San Fernando Valley that was gobbled up by the big city south of the mountains which incorporated it, you probably would think "the City" is somewhere else.

A trip from the valley...Northridge, Encino, North Hollywood, etc. (all incorporated LA) over the Hollywood Hills into the Basin is definitely going "into the city".

New York likely gave birth to the term "the city", just like it did for central business districts being "downtown", but "The City" is not only used in New York, but elsewhere as well.

Throughout California for much of its modern history, "The City" was an actual place: San Francisco. You could be going to LA. Or you could be going to The City. That never was a knock against LA; it's just what SF was called by Californians since at one time, there was only one true city....San Francisco; just like in large swat of NY, NJ, & CT, there was only one: Manhattan, the only place that gets to call itself New York County.

Here in Chicago, "The City" refers to downtown area and clear up to much of the North Side lakefront and inland a bit from there....as used by suburbanites who are far less likely to use "The City" for neighborhoods on the fringe that are in many ways similar to the suburbs across the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City