U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:47 PM

163 posts, read 36,876 times

Advertisements

Tower-in-the-Park housing -- otherwise known as Commie Blocks -- invite people to loiter. Bad idea for projects. You put shaded, tree lined promenades with rows of benches, water sprinklers, and basketball courts with glass backboards what do you expect? Of course people are going to spend all night and half the day there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:01 PM

127 posts, read 482,111 times
As a kid growing up in a nycha development I liked the "tower in the park" design, especially because at that time the surrounding neighborhood was so crappy. The city run parks were full of broken glass and broken play equipment, like missing swings, broken see saws ect. However inside my development we had at least 4 parks, grass to play football, baseball fields and basketball courts. We could also run and ride our bikes freely.

I don't think the design is the flaw. I'm sure residents in congested places like manhattan or the bronx like the extra space. The problem is just that some developments were built in isolated areas or slums that up until recently most ppl wouldn't want to live (even long island city fit this description up until recently) and the residents had little access to decent schools, recreation or anything positive. Now times have changed. I think they want to re-street the projects now so the developers can get their hands on all that extra space

Old Yesterday, 06:08 PM

19,668 posts, read 34,768,293 times
Interesting opinions from all.

I am particulary focused on the retail impact of it. There are currently several NYCHA with commercial property on it that I know of. How can the retail boost the area?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM

1,921 posts, read 561,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post

I am particulary focused on the retail impact of it. There are currently several NYCHA with commercial property on it that I know of. How can the retail boost the area?
It depends what kind of retail. If it's just bodegas and low end supermarkets, I'm not sure if it would change much

Old Yesterday, 06:57 PM

22,222 posts, read 23,735,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
The projects are not that far from the rest of the communities. The garden spaces are not that huge on all the projects.

Take the Bland Houses in Flushing. Its right next to Skyview, and Roosevelt ave. Yet, all the businesses are still all chinese and do not cater to the residents of the project.

The ones in Morningside Heights on Amsterdam Ave can still get out and about. Same for the Chelsea projects, and the ones in Chinatown by the FDR.
Yea, most of the businesses are Chinese, but there are definitely people from the projects who actually shop in Skyview and it’s for the better. Is anyone really going to disagree that the Bland Houses are doing better than most other NYC housing projects?

Old Yesterday, 07:00 PM

22,222 posts, read 23,735,900 times
It’s hard to tell if re-streeting was the answer all along because the projects at their nadir were a very different context and were from a city at its nadir whether it was projects or not. In principle, I think it’s a good idea.

Old Today, 10:14 AM

1,241 posts, read 1,498,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post

Well the "residents" will have more options to steal from for one.

Old Today, 07:44 PM

6,283 posts, read 6,402,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, most of the businesses are Chinese, but there are definitely people from the projects who actually shop in Skyview and it’s for the better. Is anyone really going to disagree that the Bland Houses are doing better than most other NYC housing projects?
They have no food options. Target is not a proper supermarket. Its mostly processed cardboard food. Western Beef is gone. There is the Naked Crab the project denizens can go to. There used to be an Applebees but that is gone.

They need some soul food I reckon. There only real options are McDs, BK, and Popeyes. Plus its not like the project denizens can find gainful employment across the street until they learn Potunghua (Mandarin).

I think that is the reason why the College Point Shoprite stays open so late. They know they will get all them customers who lost their local market to chinese supermarket.

Now there is the projects north of Northern Blvd. They have the Pathmark Plaza with the Wendys. I think they be better off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or