U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 02:50 AM

71,907 posts, read 71,942,576 times

Advertisements

generating power is quite cheap in many locations , but even in the more costlier areas like nyc , generation is way way cheaper then the distribution part . that is where the huge expenses are .

don't forget the utility has to provide you with the lines , the transformers and all the associated stuff to get you the maximum amount of power anytime you want it .

if you use that maximum power for a few months in the summer then they don't get compensated for all that capacity that sits idle all year . .

imagine how many cable companies would go bankrupt if you only paid for what you watched .

well cable is far less costly than huge power transmission stuff .

on the other hand all the un-used power generated at any given time is sold on the grid . nothing goes to waste. so power costs are a fraction of the distribution and maintance costs . con ed has 96,000 miles of cable underground and 34,000 mile of distribution cable above ground to maintain and pay for , most of the above ground stuff is in westchester .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 07:13 AM

2,178 posts, read 1,992,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
con ed has 96,000 miles of cable underground and 34,000 mile of distribution cable above ground to maintain and pay for , most of the above ground stuff is in westchester .
There are power lines above ground where I live in eastern Queens. There are none on my street but they are hung on poles on the intersecting avenues. When Sandy hit, trees knocked down the power lines on the avenues and left my street without power for a week.

Old Today, 07:41 AM

Not us ,,, we are all underground and just fine ......

Old Today, 02:53 PM

Per this 2011 article, Queens had the most overhead power lines in NYC, over 5,500 miles of them.

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...ticle-1.953324

Old Today, 03:07 PM

As of 2018 only 18% of con Ed customers still have overhead service ..82% of all customers are now underground .most of queens is now underground

Old Today, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
As of 2018 only 18% of con Ed customers still have overhead service ..82% of all customers are now underground .most of queens is now underground
Not sure how that is being counted. I have no overhead power lines coming into my house. They are underground but down the block the "underground lines" come above ground and are hanging on poles. So technically it could be said my house has underground power lines, but not really if they are connected to an overhead line a block away on the avenue.

Old Today, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Not sure how that is being counted. I have no overhead power lines coming into my house. They are underground but down the block the "underground lines" come above ground and are hanging on poles. So technically it could be said my house has underground power lines, but not really if they are connected to an overhead line a block away on the avenue.
not sure how they figure it ... but they do show 96,000 miles of buried cable and 34,000 overhead .

Old Today, 03:32 PM

This study from December 2013 said Queens has 6,968 miles of overhead power lines. That seems like an awful lot of miles for one borough the size of Queens. Until Sandy, I assumed my power lines were underground because the lines enter my house below ground and there are no power lines on my block or in my backyard. I quickly learned after Sandy that there are overhead lines and transformers on the avenue down the block from me that ultimately delivers the power into my home.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/planyc2030/d...study_2013.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City