U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 07:48 AM

21,589 posts, read 28,525,752 times

Advertisements

What the Hell is svooyadell? I gather from the video it is some kind of pastry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2019, 08:36 AM

198 posts, read 44,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Also known as Lobster tails due to the shape of the pastry.

Old 07-31-2019, 01:32 PM

21,038 posts, read 13,939,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
A nice light and fluffy layered pastry stuffed with a creamy filling. Sort of like a croissant (which also can be had filled with cream) but layers are made up from leaves of pastry.

Old 08-01-2019, 06:41 AM

21,589 posts, read 28,525,752 times
So, like a Napoleon?

Old 08-01-2019, 08:00 AM

2,020 posts, read 980,694 times
Manicotti and Manigault are two completely different names.

My dear god.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:04 AM

2,097 posts, read 616,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosenza View Post
What else do you expect from American - Italians, many of whom are generations removed from their Italian roots? Many know a few basic words and apply "goomba" diction or inflections when speaking. As cringing asbit is for me to listen to, I can understand why they speak this way.
It is interesting because not all Italian-Americans are so far removed. Some are only 2 generations away.

Old Today, 03:02 PM

2,749 posts, read 2,850,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
It's not a matter of correctness vs. incorrectness though. It's not incorrect to pronounce Italian in a regional accent.

As a (native) Italian speaker, I can assure you that there is a reason why the "manigoat" pronunciation and similar exist. Most Italian Americans come from Southern Italian stock. Many Southern Italian regions, in these cases most likely Naples and Sicily, have quirks in local pronunciation which have led to Americans of Neapolitan and Sicilian origin to carry these pronunciations over and pass them down as if they were standard Italian.

In Naples the ending of many words is truncated so you will indeed actually hear manicott'. In Sicily, as someone mentioned here, many people pronounce C as G and P and B. Additionally, the letter U is in place of the letter O in many words, like the standard Italian "mozzarella" becoming "muzzarella" in Sicilian and similar.

If you go to Naples today you will indeed hear people say mozzarell' and manicott' just like in the US.

These pronunciations have become comically exaggerated over time here in America but they have a real historic meaning.
I thought it was because many Italian immigrants came over before standard Italian was unified and taught in schools. They didn't come over speaking Italian, but dialect. Standard Italian began after WW II. For what it's worth, my German grandma doesn't speak real German either. She speaks dialect.

Old Today, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
I thought it was because many Italian immigrants came over before standard Italian was unified and taught in schools. They didn't come over speaking Italian, but dialect. Standard Italian began after WW II. For what it's worth, my German grandma doesn't speak real German either. She speaks dialect.
From what am hearing you may be on to something.....

Standard "Tuscan" Italian wasn't the mandated language or whatever taught throughout Italy until after WWII. Even then adults already out of school wouldn't switch overnight, it would take one or two generations of Italian children (especially from the south), to grow up and slowly displace whatever regional dialects were the norm. Many still speak both the dialect and standard regional since there still are plenty of persons living in south of Italy born before WWII that speak as they always have.

Again with Sopranos clip posted above where Furio speaks with his uncle after his father's funeral. Obviously Furio was born and educated post WWII, but can converse with his uncle easily in Neapolitan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naples_dialect

Federico Castelluccio was born in Naples, but moved to USA with his family while a small boy. Thus it is almost certain spoke Neapolitan with his parents and probably family in Italy.

Old Today, 05:39 PM
Status: "Put the Wet Stuff on the Red stuff" (set 14 days ago)

1,376 posts, read 447,405 times
Manny gut

Old Today, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
It is interesting because not all Italian-Americans are so far removed. Some are only 2 generations away.
True, true.

Out on SI, parts of Bronx and Brooklyn you have a good number of people just off the boat, and or not that far removed.

While the Kennedy immigration bill decimated numbers of Europeans coming to USA, Italians and others still come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or