U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 09:01 AM

1 posts

Advertisements

The 4 wood stairs outside the house broke, and the fire department put an X sign and sent me a letter to build them.
I built again the stairs, this time from concrete instead of wood.
I did not know that I need a permit and it was not written in the letter.
The city did not remove the red X saying that I need a permit.
I applied for a permit, the inspector found small corrections to make.
But the inspector says that he wants to see the house from inside.
The inspector does not let me fix the 4 stairs until I will let him inspect the interior.
I wrote to him that it is my private property and I don't think that it is right, and asked him to show me a law that allows me to go inside to inspect. He did not supply yet.
I live part time in USA and part time in Europe. I can tell you that even in communist Russia and even in China you will not see things like this.
And my questions, it is legal for him to demand to see the whole house even that the permit is for 4 stairs outside?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 09:39 AM

1,753 posts, read 2,169,420 times
NO it is not legal. Don't let him in. If he's there just for the stairs tell him that he has no business going inside, unless you already let him in. Then you possibly opened up a can of worms.

Old Today, 11:35 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,054,836 times
Sounds like OP is running illegal apartments and/or Airbnb and the DOB is on to him.

Old Today, 11:42 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,885 posts, read 54,596,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
NO it is not legal. Don't let him in. If he's there just for the stairs tell him that he has no business going inside, unless you already let him in. Then you possibly opened up a can of worms.
Correct, normally he may not enter tour home without your permission, however most city/county building codes require that you allow them to come in to inspect as a condition of any permit, inside or out. In other words, they could deny approval of the stairs if you don't let them inspect inside. In addition, there are cases where they can come in without your permission such as this from chapter 1.16 of the Bainbridge Island WA municipal code:

F. Notwithstanding the provisions above, whenever it appears to the city that conditions exist requiring immediate inspection or other action to protect the public health, safety or welfare, or to preserve property, a city officer, official or employee is authorized to enter in or upon any building or property, public or private, without first obtaining the owner’s consent, or when any other circumstance exists making such entry lawful under the common law. (Ord. 2003-28 1, 2003: Ord. 82-04 2, 1982)

You would have to carefully read your city code to see what they allow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or