U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 07:28 PM
exm

2,148 posts, read 721,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Free market, though. If you make the cost of owning that Explorer too high, people will stop buying them and look for something more affordable with less emissions. As that market expands, car manufacturers will see that the money is there and not in the Explorer-style market. In order to draw buyers back into that market, they'll have to reinvent that sector of the auto market.

While I don't agree that everything should be dictated by free market capitalism alone, you have to look at the other side of capitalism. If you argue that the free market is able to adapt so freely, then why can't it adapt to people being priced out of owning an Explorer?

It's kind of the difference between Europe and the USA: Europe is punishing 'bad' behavior by taxation whereas the US is rewarding 'good' behavior by providing tax credits. I prefer the American way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 08:15 AM

7,094 posts, read 14,175,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
It's kind of the difference between Europe and the USA: Europe is punishing 'bad' behavior by taxation whereas the US is rewarding 'good' behavior by providing tax credits. I prefer the American way.
Both have their flaws. Can we at least agree that the US provides too many tax credits, especially companies undeserving of them? Companies that charge Americans exponentially more for the same drugs they sell to Europe should not be getting our tax dollars. Cell phone network companies shouldn't be getting tax credits when we pay way more for our cell phone bills than other modern countries. Cable/internet providers shouldn't be getting tax credits when they're basically monopolies and just fought to end net neutrality for their own gains. Oil companies shouldn't be getting tax credits when we already subsidize the cost of gasoline, making it far cheaper here than in most other countries. Health insurance companies should not be receiving a single penny when they literally choose to let people die for their own financial benefit. And related back to AOC, idk why Amazon needed tax credits when it's already, I believe, the largest company in the world? And/or Bezos is the richest man in the world? Why does he need more tax credits from the working poor when he won't even let them unionize so they can get better working conditions and benefits?

Rewarding companies that create HIV or cancer cures is great. Rewarding companies that discover new technologies to stop polluting our environment is great. But we have legalized corruption through lobbying that allows our government to create winners and losers and they basically give our tax dollars to companies that are not doing good. And I mean doing good, not doing well. They're doing well, but they're not doing good.

Old 08-07-2019, 09:44 AM
exm

2,148 posts, read 721,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Both have their flaws. Can we at least agree that the US provides too many tax credits, especially companies undeserving of them? Companies that charge Americans exponentially more for the same drugs they sell to Europe should not be getting our tax dollars. Cell phone network companies shouldn't be getting tax credits when we pay way more for our cell phone bills than other modern countries. Cable/internet providers shouldn't be getting tax credits when they're basically monopolies and just fought to end net neutrality for their own gains. Oil companies shouldn't be getting tax credits when we already subsidize the cost of gasoline, making it far cheaper here than in most other countries. Health insurance companies should not be receiving a single penny when they literally choose to let people die for their own financial benefit. And related back to AOC, idk why Amazon needed tax credits when it's already, I believe, the largest company in the world? And/or Bezos is the richest man in the world? Why does he need more tax credits from the working poor when he won't even let them unionize so they can get better working conditions and benefits?

Rewarding companies that create HIV or cancer cures is great. Rewarding companies that discover new technologies to stop polluting our environment is great. But we have legalized corruption through lobbying that allows our government to create winners and losers and they basically give our tax dollars to companies that are not doing good. And I mean doing good, not doing well. They're doing well, but they're not doing good.

I'm all for a clean environment, but a carbon tax is not the answer. Encourage private development, and customers will follow. I would have loved to purchase a hybrid Volvo XC90 T8 but it was simply too expensive so I ended with the gasoline T6. One day that will be a moot point.

And yes, there are too many tax credits.

Old Today, 04:27 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,854,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
I'm all for a clean environment, but a carbon tax is not the answer. Encourage private development, and customers will follow. I would have loved to purchase a hybrid Volvo XC90 T8 but it was simply too expensive so I ended with the gasoline T6. One day that will be a moot point.

And yes, there are too many tax credits.
Do you think we haven't been encouraging companies to be good actors? (Why we need to is a whole other conversation. It's like they forgot there is a social contract.) I think the reason why there needs to be penalties, is because encouragement isn't working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or