U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 03:45 PM

22,234 posts, read 23,751,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
I agree with the bold part, not so much with the second one. What has she done for her constituencies besides killing 25,000 jobs and pissing of the Speaker of the House (from her same party)? She's helping her own profile, but not the people back in her district.
I think it's important to keep in mind that she didn't actually kill 25K jobs, because Amazon's still hiring at about the same pace as it would have needed for the myriad tax incentives and all of the tech giants are doing the same.

It would have been a much different picture if this were the 50K jobs initially promised, but that was already cut down by Amazon prior to the backlash that scuttled the Amazon complex in LIC.

Sure, a broken clock is right twice a day, but it's probably a good idea to keep the facts straight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 03:56 PM

2,859 posts, read 3,778,657 times
I live in Jackson Heights.

When I moved here last spring, her posters were all up and down 37th Ave and Roosevelt Ave. I had zero clue who she was or even what the election was. I will say I have definitely voted in *every* election since, almost straight republican.

A good idea of what's happening here was during the DA's race. The Caban crowd, almost all young white kids, stand outside Roosevelt Ave subway handing out flyers and pumping the street game. Katz, Lasak, others? Nada. The Dem machine is/has been in for a wake up call. I suppose the people who supported Caban are probably the AOC set as well.

Her power base is really Astoria thou. The place is overrun with transplants, Ditmars is unrecognizable. The smugness is so thick you can cut it with a knife when you ride the N train. Hip bars and all that. I'm glad I landed here in JH.

Old 07-22-2019, 04:26 PM

20,898 posts, read 13,857,388 times
All House seats are up for re-election in 2020. You *know* AC is going to face primary challengers from her own party. Question will be how much traction does any of them gain.

Thing about the House is they are up for election every two years. Which means members are on a constant fundraising or whatever mode because not long after being sworn in they only have several months before having to gear up again.

Since 2020 is an WH election year it likely will be one where more New York residents turn out at the polls. This against the normally **** poor numbers for off years. That could go both ways for AOC.

Old 07-22-2019, 04:43 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,057,133 times
Some of you think AOC has more power than she does as if she singlehandedly stopped Amazon from coming here. She does have a voice but not as much effect as some think. If she was able to change things that way then the ICE camps would be providing more humane conditions for the inmates.

I used to live near that district. Joe Crowley's tentacles reached into my area.
I'm glad he was defeated. He was the king of nepotism with his family and friends appointed to so many lucrative position. Plus the entanglements with his brother John's interests.

Old 07-22-2019, 04:59 PM

Want to point out that no one "stopped" Amazon from coming to NYC. Mr. Jeff Bezos simply got fed up and pulled the plug on deal with state/city taking his HQ elsewhere.

Amazon has more money than God, and if they wanted could easily afford to build a HQ in NYC without any sort of tax breaks. Amazon already has plenty of action in NYC, with plans to build more.

Of course if Amazon does come to NYC on their own dime, they can tell elected officials and the usual suspects moaning about "inclusion" or whatever to go pound salt. Like any other business in this city Amazon would be paying huge sums in taxes, fees, and surcharges for the privilege of being in NY, and that would or should have to suffice.

Old 07-22-2019, 05:05 PM

10,962 posts, read 9,373,087 times
Truth be told, I blame the local politicritters more then AOC (although she very much helped to drive Amazon away.) They probably felt that the city council, which would have to sign off an the zoning changes, was going to be obstructive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Want to point out that no one "stopped" Amazon from coming to NYC. Mr. Jeff Bezos simply got fed up and pulled the plug on deal with state/city taking his HQ elsewhere.

Amazon has more money than God, and if they wanted could easily afford to build a HQ in NYC without any sort of tax breaks. Amazon already has plenty of action in NYC, with plans to build more.

Of course if Amazon does come to NYC on their own dime, they can tell elected officials and the usual suspects moaning about "inclusion" or whatever to go pound salt. Like any other business in this city Amazon would be paying huge sums in taxes, fees, and surcharges for the privilege of being in NY, and that would or should have to suffice.

Old 07-22-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Truth be told, I blame the local politicritters more then AOC (although she very much helped to drive Amazon away.) They probably felt that the city council, which would have to sign off an the zoning changes, was going to be obstructive.
That was the problem, city council had no say in the matter and they were red hot. Cuomo put together the deal largely in Albany which also ticked people off.

City Council would have rolled over for Amazon once they got tastes for their people. IMHO think Mr. Jeff Bezos saw where that was going and decided to bail. City council would have been poking their noses into every aspect of Amazon's business both within NY and outside. That and endless demands/shake downs for "inclusion" or "equality" for this or that particular group. Who needs that nonsense?

Old 07-22-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
That was the problem, city council had no say in the matter and they were red hot. Cuomo put together the deal largely in Albany which also ticked people off.

City Council would have rolled over for Amazon once they got tastes for their people. IMHO think Mr. Jeff Bezos saw where that was going and decided to bail. City council would have been poking their noses into every aspect of Amazon's business both within NY and outside. That and endless demands/shake downs for "inclusion" or "equality" for this or that particular group. Who needs that nonsense?
Yea, they didn't need the money and it's insane that Cuomo essentially led to its torpedoing by offering anyhow. The fact of the matter is that the tech industry has been massively expanding here, because they need access to talent. It's not just people who are already based here or the colleges pipeline, but that they need to have a place where people would be willing to move to. Amazon and the like setting up shop here is good for the city and the tech industry should be a primary pillar in NYC, but the deal Cuomo struck was incredibly stupid. Even with that debacle, Amazon is setting up shop here as are pretty much every single one of the tech majors.

Old 07-22-2019, 05:43 PM

Does anyone know if AOC has come out in any sense for Penn Station Access or Triboro RX? The main thing I like about her platform are aspects of the Green New Deal and I'd like her to put her money where her mouth is by drumming up federal support for pushing Penn Station Access and/or Triboro RX.

Old 07-22-2019, 05:43 PM

11,325 posts, read 21,808,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
Some of you think AOC has more power than she does as if she singlehandedly stopped Amazon from coming here. She does have a voice but not as much effect as some think. If she was able to change things that way then the ICE camps would be providing more humane conditions for the inmates.

I used to live near that district. Joe Crowley's tentacles reached into my area.
I'm glad he was defeated. He was the king of nepotism with his family and friends appointed to so many lucrative position. Plus the entanglements with his brother John's interests.
Newsweek:
ALEXANDRIA OCASIO-CORTEZ TO BLAME FOR AMAZON NYC HQ2 CANCELLATION, AMAZON SPOKESPERSON SAYS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or