U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 05:49 PM

22,234 posts, read 23,751,992 times

Advertisements

Yea, and that somehow worked out great. NYS undervalued NYC and that deal was terrible. Would you not rather the equivalent amount of jobs, but not having to offer the tax incentives? If so, why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 06:08 PM

11,325 posts, read 21,808,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, and that somehow worked out great. NYS undervalued NYC and that deal was terrible. Would you not rather the equivalent amount of jobs, but not having to offer the tax incentives? If so, why?
I'm not interested in getting into the Amazon discussion again. Been there, done that. My link was provided because several people on this thread claimed that AOC wasn't responsible for shutting down the Amazon deal and my post was to address that.

She may not have been singlehandedly responsible but she had a strong impact and possible turned the tides to create enough political opposition that Amazon didn't want to deal with Queens anymore.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I'm not interested in getting into the Amazon discussion again. Been there, done that. My link was provided because several people on this thread claimed that AOC wasn't responsible for shutting down the Amazon deal and my post was to address that.
I agree she played a role, maybe outsized compared to how many other people who pushed for it. I don’t understand not wanting to figure out if it was actually net benefit for NYC and NYS.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:18 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,057,133 times
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.usn...%3fcontext=amp

"14 opponents of Amazon NYC headquarters celebrate victory. "

AOC is a convenient target for some. Including Jeff Bezos according to your posted story.
Many people and groups were against giving Bezos $3 billion worth of public subsidies. Not just AOC.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.usn...%3fcontext=amp

"14 opponents of Amazon NYC headquarters celebrate victory. "

AOC is a convenient target for some. Including Jeff Bezos according to your posted story.
Many people and groups were against giving Bezos $3 billion worth of public subsidies. Not just AOC.
Right, and I think the city and state, if they weren’t two competing rings in a three-ring circus with our federal ****show, would be wise to look at and understand how the balance of the whole thing worked out and to tailor future packages accordingly.

A recap is that this was a half-sized plan to what was proposed and leaked and released bids offered far more incentives but were not selected. Meanwhile, the other winner of the half-sized prize offered far less in incentives despite being a generally less attractive area as Virginia does not like to offer large incentives in principle. Amazon and its peer tech majors have continued to go on a tear hiring people at corporate in NYC and Amazon’s most likely small boost that would have been different was robbing Peter to pay Paul via relocating corporate jobs from Newark.

So, what is it that we are arguing against here?

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 07-22-2019 at 06:51 PM..

Old 07-22-2019, 06:41 PM

10,962 posts, read 9,373,087 times
Getting away from the Amazon tangent, does anyone think Crowley will try for a comeback? He'd have the full backing of the Democratic establishment. But I don't see an old white guy winning that seat.

Also, Crowley is probably literally making millions as a lobbyist. He may just not be interested.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:46 PM

Meh, it’s not much of a tangent if that’s a large part of what people are basing their opinions on.

I think what I’d like to see is an actual push for projects that meet the larger goals of what’s being pushed but also benefit the community that elected her. In my view, lining up federal support for the Penn Station Access Plan and maybe Triboro RX would be that. You want to push for a Green New Deal? Great, then kick it off in your district. Infrastructure is an economic multiplier and well-planned infrastructure goes a long way towards meeting any climate goals. Do more of that, because the infrastructure in NYC and the US in general needs work.

Old 07-23-2019, 01:17 AM

183 posts, read 52,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I think it's great when working -class people run for office, especially when they're as smart and articulate as AOC. Jealous a bit?
Lmao. You think she’s smart. Lol.

Old 07-23-2019, 04:38 AM

8,154 posts, read 5,330,708 times
AOC was not the reason (that's not even her district). Amazon needed a scapegoat. Remember the whole cheating scandal with Jeff Bezos, the Unions, etc.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:01 AM

410 posts, read 192,564 times
She’s a paid for actor ( just like any other politician ). How else can one get elected. You have to have big money backing you. And once you do get elected, you sing their song.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or