U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 09:13 AM

280 posts, read 100,204 times

Advertisements

NY might lose two house seats after this 2020 census. So depending on how much she pisses off the party bosses her district might just get redrawn.

She has a R challenger, so if by some miracle the R wins, that district will be redrawn. Remember when Bob Turner(R) won Weiner's old seat against a typical Dem hack(Weprin)? Yeah they just redrew the district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2019, 09:55 AM

873 posts, read 875,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
I agree with the bold part, not so much with the second one. What has she done for her constituencies besides killing 25,000 jobs and pissing of the Speaker of the House (from her same party)? She's helping her own profile, but not the people back in her district.
Let痴 not make things up. Very few Amazon jobs will have been available for her constituents, as her constituents are mostly immigrants that don稚 meet the profile for the jobs amazon would have brought.

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧

I am not AOC痴 biggest fan, nor do I agree with all her policies, but when compared to joe Crowley and the republicans in the house, I much rather have her. When has Crowley, or any republican or corporate democrat gone after Military contractors, pharmaceuticals and ceos the way she has during hearings? The Green new deal is a bit fantastical at times, but it痴 drastically shifted the conversation on climate change. And she痴 helped change the narrative on universal healthcare too. So I reiterate, i壇 Much rather have AOC as a representative (though i知 Not really in her district) than your typical corporate democrat. Even if all her stances aren稚 great for my property values.

Old 07-23-2019, 11:58 AM

6,993 posts, read 14,125,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
Let痴 not make things up. Very few Amazon jobs will have been available for her constituents, as her constituents are mostly immigrants that don稚 meet the profile for the jobs amazon would have brought.

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧

I am not AOC痴 biggest fan, nor do I agree with all her policies, but when compared to joe Crowley and the republicans in the house, I much rather have her. When has Crowley, or any republican or corporate democrat gone after Military contractors, pharmaceuticals and ceos the way she has during hearings? The Green new deal is a bit fantastical at times, but it痴 drastically shifted the conversation on climate change. And she痴 helped change the narrative on universal healthcare too. So I reiterate, i壇 Much rather have AOC as a representative (though i知 Not really in her district) than your typical corporate democrat. Even if all her stances aren稚 great for my property values.
Just quoting for emphasis.

Old 07-23-2019, 11:59 AM

6,993 posts, read 14,125,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMan2k5 View Post
Everyone who voted for her should have their voting rights revoked.
Should they also have to pay a poll tax?

Old 07-23-2019, 03:01 PM

10,962 posts, read 9,373,087 times
Since the Democritters control the entire state government, it isn't D seats that will be going away, no matter how annoyed the party bosses may be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
NY might lose two house seats after this 2020 census. So depending on how much she pisses off the party bosses her district might just get redrawn.

She has a R challenger, so if by some miracle the R wins, that district will be redrawn. Remember when Bob Turner(R) won Weiner's old seat against a typical Dem hack(Weprin)? Yeah they just redrew the district.

Old 07-23-2019, 03:43 PM

20,898 posts, read 13,857,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Since the Democritters control the entire state government, it isn't D seats that will be going away, no matter how annoyed the party bosses may be.
Regardless of who holds power in Albany post 2020 census a bi-partisan committee will handle redistricting.

https://ballotpedia.org/Redistricting_in_New_York

Keep in mind most if not all of Albany will be up for re-election in 2021 which depending upon how things roll out of Washington, D.C. (census results), means there could be a change in governor and perhaps senate. It is mathematically impossible for GOP to get a majority in the assembly, but you never know.

Old 07-23-2019, 06:50 PM

19,674 posts, read 34,785,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Just quoting for emphasis.
Nobody will address that post.

Same song and dance around here.

In all honesty, now I'm like how did AOC win with so much hate coming her way?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-23-2019, 07:59 PM
exm

2,132 posts, read 711,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I live in her district. I would def vote for someone else in a D primary but would probably vote for her in the general next time unless the R running against her is totally unlike most of the rest of the R party these days.

Maybe I just said what Henna said.

All primaries are thinly participated in but She went door to door throughout my neighborhood personally asking for people's votes. No one else has ever done that.

What if the R would be a moderate (almost old school Democratic) candidate? The republican wouldn't run a conservative R in that district. The problem in big cities is really that people vote party lines, and not look at the actual candidates.

Old 07-23-2019, 08:06 PM
exm

2,132 posts, read 711,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think it's important to keep in mind that she didn't actually kill 25K jobs, because Amazon's still hiring at about the same pace as it would have needed for the myriad tax incentives and all of the tech giants are doing the same.

It would have been a much different picture if this were the 50K jobs initially promised, but that was already cut down by Amazon prior to the backlash that scuttled the Amazon complex in LIC.

Sure, a broken clock is right twice a day, but it's probably a good idea to keep the facts straight.

You can argue about if the tax breaks where necessary, and if jobs aren't created anyway. But for HER DISTRICT - LIC - it would have been a MAJOR boost.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:19 PM

873 posts, read 875,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
You can argue about if the tax breaks where necessary, and if jobs aren't created anyway. But for HER DISTRICT - LIC - it would have been a MAJOR boost.
You池e confusing things, where Amazon would have located in LIC is not part of her district. And more importantly, AOC痴 job is to fight for her constituents, not corporations. Her constituents are lower middle class, and poor, most of whom would not qualify to work at Amazon. The jobs at Amazon would have been filled by mostly non New Yorkers moving to the city to work for Amazon specifically. The biggest impact amazon would have had on her constituents was to raise their rents.

Now to be fair, her constituents also include landlords who would have seen their property values go up quicker with Amazon but that痴 not who she痴 campaigned for. She痴 made no effort to hide the fact the poor and disadvantaged are her primary focus. Besides, amazon pulling out of LIC doesn稚 actually harm her home-owning constitutes, it just means their property values won稚 increase as fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or