U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 09:26 PM

138 posts, read 98,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
You can argue about if the tax breaks where necessary, and if jobs aren't created anyway. But for HER DISTRICT - LIC - it would have been a MAJOR boost.

Amazon would've been located in Carolyn Maloney's district, CD-12.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:11 AM

1,446 posts, read 826,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
What exactly has she done for that district? What has her "Squad" done for their constituents beside holler and yell about Donald Trump, ICE, the boarder "concentration" camps, Nancy Pelosi, etc?
Normally I wouldn't risk a Hadoken by contesting you but, ...to be fair, Ilhan Omar at least is representing her constituency; a terrorist sympathizer, who committed immigration fraud by marrying her biological brother, that swore in on a Koran, presiding over illegaly imported Muslim Somalian shills, a significant portion of whom are terrorist sympathizers themselves, if not actual terrorists.

Old Yesterday, 08:11 AM

6,995 posts, read 14,125,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
Youíre confusing things, where Amazon would have located in LIC is not part of her district. And more importantly, AOCís job is to fight for her constituents, not corporations. Her constituents are lower middle class, and poor, most of whom would not qualify to work at Amazon. The jobs at Amazon would have been filled by mostly non New Yorkers moving to the city to work for Amazon specifically. The biggest impact amazon would have had on her constituents was to raise their rents.

Now to be fair, her constituents also include landlords who would have seen their property values go up quicker with Amazon but thatís not who sheís campaigned for. Sheís made no effort to hide the fact the poor and disadvantaged are her primary focus. Besides, amazon pulling out of LIC doesnít actually harm her home-owning constitutes, it just means their property values wonít increase as fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamernyc View Post
Amazon would've been located in Carolyn Maloney's district, CD-12.
Again quoting for emphasis lol

Old Yesterday, 08:21 AM

6,995 posts, read 14,125,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Nobody will address that post.

Same song and dance around here.

In all honesty, now I'm like how did AOC win with so much hate coming her way?
Any time someone uses actual facts on this forum, they are either ignored, called fake news, branded as CNN-brainwashed, etc.

AOC won because her district likes her. These people hating on her are not from her district. She got her name out for people to vote for her. She got free publicity by winning the primary. Also, her district is almost 50% Latino, 11% black, and 16% Asian. They were represented by an old white man. He may have been one of the good ones, but when only 18% of the district is white, it's hard to say 57 year old white man could fully understand the needs of his extremely minority-heavy district. Again, I'm not saying he was out of touch, I'm just laying the facts here.

Then, you have a young, charismatic, educated Latina. For an under-served, minority-majority district that is almost 50% Latino, seeing the name "Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez" makes you feel like she's more one of you. Whether it's true or not, I guarantee her age and name assisted her greatly in a young, minority-heavy district.

Old Yesterday, 08:33 AM

11,325 posts, read 21,808,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Any time someone uses actual facts on this forum, they are either ignored, called fake news, branded as CNN-brainwashed, etc.

AOC won because her district likes her. These people hating on her are not from her district. She got her name out for people to vote for her. She got free publicity by winning the primary. Also, her district is almost 50% Latino, 11% black, and 16% Asian. They were represented by an old white man. He may have been one of the good ones, but when only 18% of the district is white, it's hard to say 57 year old white man could fully understand the needs of his extremely minority-heavy district. Again, I'm not saying he was out of touch, I'm just laying the facts here.

Then, you have a young, charismatic, educated Latina. For an under-served, minority-majority district that is almost 50% Latino, seeing the name "Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez" makes you feel like she's more one of you. Whether it's true or not, I guarantee her age and name assisted her greatly in a young, minority-heavy district.
She won in Congressional District 14 of New York with only about 16,000 votes. The total population of District 14 is just under 700,000, which means that only a bit more than 2% of the districtís population voted for her.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/impress...tes-1532444133

Old Yesterday, 08:44 AM

Most voters stayed home for stunning AOC win

Here’s what you get when you hold primary elections in June: A tiny percentage of party voters determine the congressional candidates.

Even in the most competitive races Tuesday, more than 80 percent of eligible voters stayed home.

In the race that caused an earthquake in the Democratic Party, 28-year-old newcomer Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez upset longtime Rep. Joe Crowley, 57 percent to 42 percent.

But only about 13 percent of registered Democrats turned out to vote in the 14th Congressional District that takes in parts of Queens and the Bronx, according to a preliminary city Board of Elections tally.

There are 214,750 active registered Democratic voters in the district. Only 27,744 voted, and Ocasio-Cortez won by more than 4,000 votes

Old Yesterday, 08:46 AM

I didn't vote and I regret it. I just simply wasn't paying attention, which I think is the case with most voters. So, who knows - if the election were re-run, would Crowley win in a landslide, after voters in the district became aware that AOC's vision doesn't match their own? Maybe.

There were so few voting in this election that it's inaccurate to make statements like, "AOC won because her district likes her."

Old Yesterday, 08:58 AM

873 posts, read 875,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
She won in Congressional District 14 of New York with only about 16,000 votes. The total population of District 14 is just under 700,000, which means that only a bit more than 2% of the districtís population voted for her.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/impress...tes-1532444133
I must admit, itís weird not being on the same side as you Henna, but youíre not being fair here. No one cared about low voter turnout anytime Joe Crowley won. Nor did they make conclusions about his support in the district based on low voter turnout. Itís only because AOC is not a corporate democratic that weíre seeing these attempts to downplay her win and her support in her community.

Plus, we also have to look at the demographics of her district. A third of district 13 is ineligible to vote as they are under 18. Half the district is also foreign born. Exact numbers would be hard to come by, iím willing to bet that means a good portion of the over 18 population is ineligible to vote as they are not citizens. Using the whole population of district 14 is disingenuous. None of this means that 16,000 votes is a good voter turnout, but in a safe Democrat district, what matters is that she got more votes than a high-ranking Democrat like Crowley in the primary.

Old Yesterday, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
I must admit, itís weird not being on the same side as you Henna, but youíre not being fair here. No one cared about low voter turnout anytime Joe Crowley won. Nor did they make conclusions about his support in the district based on low voter turnout. Itís only because AOC is not a corporate democratic that weíre seeing these attempts to downplay her win and her support in her community.

Plus, we also have to look at the demographics of her district. A third of district 13 is ineligible to vote as they are under 18. Half the district is also foreign born. Exact numbers would be hard to come by, iím willing to bet that means a good portion of the over 18 population is ineligible to vote as they are not citizens. Using the whole population of district 14 is disingenuous. None of this means that 16,000 votes is a good voter turnout, but in a safe Democrat district, what matters is that she got more votes than a high-ranking Democrat like Crowley in the primary.
But the topic is how did AOC win (and not about Crowley), and you have people saying, "AOC won because the people in her district like her." It's simply just not accurate.

I'm a case in point. I don't like her, and I didn't vote. I wasn't paying attention.

If you're not on board with the 2% figure, then read the next article i posted from the NY Post which is more balanced with its presentation of the numbers.

Old Yesterday, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post

A lot of AOC's campaigning was done by progressive whites. I know this because I saw them aggressively campaigning at the Jackson Heights farmer's market every Sunday.

Same with Caban's campaign. They showed up at my door a couple of times -- white people, not Hispanics.

I just don't think anyone can say with any accuracy who voted for AOC, unless you could see the age and race stats of those who actually voted for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or